ARG... SuperSnake wheel offset!!! Can it be fixed?

MichaelFreedman

Established Member
All,

I just did the complete Griggs TT kit with the SLA front suspension. I have a complete set of original Supersnakes and 6 50th ones. I love the wheels and can't stand the thought of not having them on the car. The problem is that with the Griggs stuff on the car, it is SLAMMED! The 15mm offset error causes the front wheels to stick out and they are coming in contact with the fender. Has anyone looked into milling 15mm off of the mounting pad to get the wheels inboard where they need to be. Any wheel gurus recommend for or against it?

Mike

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
15mm is over 1/2", there isn't enough material to mill off and still have it be safe. The lug nuts would pull right through whatever's left.

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
All,

I just did the complete Griggs TT kit with the SLA front suspension. I have a complete set of original Supersnakes and 6 50th ones. I love the wheels and can't stand the thought of not having them on the car. The problem is that with the Griggs stuff on the car, it is SLAMMED! The 15mm offset error causes the front wheels to stick out and they are coming in contact with the fender. Has anyone looked into milling 15mm off of the mounting pad to get the wheels inboard where they need to be. Any wheel gurus recommend for or against it?

Mike

What is the 15mm error? the distance from the disc brake mounting pad/surface to the outside lip is the same on 9" and 10" Alcoa's. They interchange front to rear, rear to front with the only difference being how deep they go back into the fenderwell area. Is it the SLA front suspension that makes this no longer fit? or the lower ride height that now makes the difference?

Are you running 9's or 10's on the front?................also, what front tire size?

R

Last edited:

Robert M

800 HORSE FUN!!
Established Member
The wheels stick out an extra .579 inches as compared to stock.

Mike

I understand that they stick out more than stock, that is "Alcoa". My fronts were out to the fender lip edge and slightly past. I had my local Ford dealership align the front so that the top of the tire/wheel assy. tilts in, basically like a 1993, 1995 and 2000 Cobra R came from the assy. line. The dealership tech was able to do this while still keeping the alignment within the Ford spec. Mine are 275/35 front on 10" Alcoa's. If the tire were smaller (like a stock 255/35) on a 9" Alcoa, it could have been tilted in even more. There is room to tilt the top edge of these wheel/tires in on the front and still stay within Ford spec, the question is, what tire are you running on the front? and what width rim? If you are running a wider tire on the front, along with a wider rim, then the tilt will be minimal because like me, you will be very close to the strut with no further room for inward tilt unless you go with CC plates which I have not. If you are running a 9" Alcoa on the front, then there may be a little more "tilt room" to still stay in spec and also clear your lowered fender.

BTW - If you are interested in corner carving, that tilt of the front tire works great when you dive into a turn, the car pushes the tire right onto its flat/grip area and the car grips very well. There was a reason that the SVT/SVE group designed the Cobra R's with this type of alignment, they were made to road race. Like I said, my tilt is still within Ford "green" alignment specs so I am not wearing tires abnormally. My tire bulge is under the front fender edge and the tread even further under the fender, but mine is probably not as low as yours, I am down to the bottom on my Eibach Pro-Street S coilovers, or very close to the bottom, maybe the ability to lower another .50..............

011-4.jpg

My car also feels very "planted" when driving on the highway, it does not wander and drift.

R

Last edited:

Steve@TF

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Premium Member
i did look into shaving the pads on the back of the wheels but it would then no longer be hub centric. its weird the way they designed it. you'd have to use hub centric spacers and even then you'd be rolling the dice that it would work properly. not worth the risk. just buy some wheels with the proper offset :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread