ARH headers, get them coated?

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I just got my headers today! They look sweet, I've had a handful of people ask me already if I'm going to get them coated? I didn't think this was necessary with these, but thought I'd ask.

IMAG0002_zpskuyqc9nh.jpg

IMAG0003_zpsyznwebwo.jpg

Last edited:

Roots-type

+displacement
Established Member
Probably not necessary, but coating them will help keep the exhaust gases as hot as possible while leaving the heads, which in turn keeps the velocity higher. It also keeps everything under the hood cooler. (Which is a big plus for blower cars)

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Probably not necessary, but coating them will help keep the exhaust gases as hot as possible while leaving the heads, which in turn keeps the velocity higher. It also keeps everything under the hood cooler. (Which is a big plus for blower cars)

Some solid points, that's what I've had a few people tell me. They said there ss headers rusted fairly quick and turn blue as well. Those were cheaper headers, these already cost quite a bit, so I'm curious as to what others have done.

slvr10th

Established Member
I sent my stainless works headers to Jet Hot for coating, like others aid it can only help keep temps down under the hood.

BlksvtCobra01

Deplorable and Proud
Established Member
I would definately consider having them coated the ones on my fox are and twelve years later still look pretty good. Are you going to install these yourself? I here doing headers on these cars are a PITA on my old 01 I never did them because of what looked like was involved.

Givens

I wanna go fast
Established Member
I've been looking at mine off and on now for a month thinking the same thing. I guess my question is how much cooler under the hood? Any measurable results that could justify the cost.

cclark

Established Member
Good question bdubbs I have a brand new 1 7/8 inch set sitting in my basement and I'm wondering the same thing. Wonder how much it would cost

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm likely going to have the shop I go to install the headers, then retune. They have installed plenty of these on our cobras I guess, and I hate working on any exhaust stuff. I'm going to contact them today or tomorrow and see what they think about it.

cclark

Established Member
I'm likely going to have the shop I go to install the headers, then retune. They have installed plenty of these on our cobras I guess, and I hate working on any exhaust stuff. I'm going to contact them today or tomorrow and see what they think about it.

Awesome!! Please let us know what they say about getting them coated man.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Awesome!! Please let us know what they say about getting them coated man.

My shop actually said yes it's a good idea. He recommended a place that's in my state at least that does quality work and reasonable priced. I'll call them tomorrow and get a estimate on price. He said he prefers the black coating, I'll probably have the x pipe done too. That way only the catback will have a different finish look to it.

Last edited:

cj428mach

Established Member
I would get them coated. I've had coated headers on my 37 Ford for probably 10+ years and my 69 Mach 1 for about the same. They have dulled but definitely look better than rust.

I also had stainless headers on my 4th gen Fbody and I loved them. I can tell you one time in the dark I was looking for a spark plug wire arcing while the car was running and started feeling around the engine bay. I grabbed one of the primaries directly with my hand and was able to make it out with out a burn, the car had been running and was up to full operating temperature when this happened. The coating helps keep the heat down while keeping headers looking great, although I'd never put headers on a car again. I used Jet Hot on all my headers.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
I would get them coated. I've had coated headers on my 37 Ford for probably 10+ years and my 69 Mach 1 for about the same. They have dulled but definitely look better than rust.

I also had stainless headers on my 4th gen Fbody and I loved them. I can tell you one time in the dark I was looking for a spark plug wire arcing while the car was running and started feeling around the engine bay. I grabbed one of the primaries directly with my hand and was able to make it out with out a burn, the car had been running and was up to full operating temperature when this happened. The coating helps keep the heat down while keeping headers looking great, although I'd never put headers on a car again. I used Jet Hot on all my headers.

Thanks for the solid advice. I know I've seen you talk about never putting headers on your car. I honestly didn't think I would either, but it seems many haven't had any issues with ARH ones. Without running a torco mix, race gas or e85 I see another benefit of headers is possibly lower my boost a little bit and then feeling more comfortable slapping on the 2.8 upper. As I already see 18 psi with the 3.00 upper. I doubt I'll gain a lot of hp with headers alone.

cj428mach

Established Member
Thanks for the solid advice. I know I've seen you talk about never putting headers on your car. I honestly didn't think I would either, but it seems many haven't had any issues with ARH ones. Without running a torco mix, race gas or e85 I see another benefit of headers is possibly lower my boost a little bit and then feeling more comfortable slapping on the 2.8 upper. As I already see 18 psi with the 3.00 upper. I doubt I'll gain a lot of hp with headers alone.

LOL trust me before going e85 the thought of adding headers crossed my mind. I'm in a 91 octane state and any drop in boost would really have benefited me, but I just can't see myself doing it ever again. I just saw a thread where a guy had the rear bolt in the header flange vibrate out and cause a leak. He was going to have to pull the k-member just to put one bolt in....damn that would suck. I've also heard on some of them they make starter removal virtually impossible.

About 2 weeks ago I had to replace the starter on my 69 Mach 1 and it was a bitch. It took every combination of tools to get one of the bolts out as a primary went right over the top of it, and then finally when the starter was loose I didn't think it was even going to come out. I was cursing myself because I knew the stock manifolds would have made it simple but thankfully with just the right wiggling the starter came out, lol.

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Well guys I'm going to get them ceramic coated by a company somewhat local. There location is roughly 2 hours away, but I'm going to have them shipped using Spee-Dee service which they recommended. Much cheaper than using ups or fedex, and with the weather being crappy I don't feel like driving through Minneapolis to get them there.

They quoted me 220.00 for the pair. And then 10.00 dollars per foot on the x pipe, so I'm having that done as well. I think there is a lot of benefits in doing this, plus protecting the expensive headers better. Here's there website. The owner Clinton has already made a very good first impression with me. Nice on the phone, willing to talk awhile too. I called and left a message after hours and within 30 minutes he texted me back. I will post pictures once there complete.

http://www.racecoatings.com/

TRBO VNM

They shouldn't rust. Coating them does have the benefits as stated. If you have the money, why not, right?

And I am glad you got them. Not sure why they put my city on there with the rest of your address. LOL

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
They shouldn't rust. Coating them does have the benefits as stated. If you have the money, why not, right?

And I am glad you got them. Not sure why they put my city on there with the rest of your address. LOL

Cool, the place just received them today, at least tracking says so. I figured why not? Thanks again Jason!

SlowSVT

Established Member
Even headers made from 300 series stainless steel I would still get them ceramic coated (even more so for 400 series which will corrode). High temperature and getting splashed with water can corrode even stainless (not much though) but the ceramic coating will protect it better and the stuff is almost indestructible. Even welding close to it wont phase it and will look good for years.

Good call

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Even headers made from 300 series stainless steel I would still get them ceramic coated (even more so for 400 series which will corrode). High temperature and getting splashed with water can corrode even stainless (not much though) but the ceramic coating will protect it better and the stuff is almost indestructible. Even welding close to it wont phase it and will look good for years.

Good call

Thanks man! I figured these things already cost a decent amount of money, I'd like them to stay nice looking as long as possible. I'm getting the x pipe done as well. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread