Armageddon kit...no boost

badblackhemi

Established Member
Hey guys, I have the Armageddon twin kit. I've had it for several months and everything has been perfect. Decided to take it out today and it wouldn't build boost. Shows vacuum, and will go all the way up to 0.0. Thought I heard something loose/rattling. Took off the air filters and at idle the drivers side turbo is spinning super fast. The passenger side will either spin slowly for a few seconds or stop spinning completely...I'm very new to turbo setups and unfortunately did not install this kit so I'm sadly not very knowledgeable of how it all went together. Could it be an oil problem not getting to the turbo? Bad turbo is what I'm afraid of...

JTS_7

Established Member
Have you checked all your intercooler piping? Possible blown off pipe.

badblackhemi

Established Member
th_20150817_113856_zpszqtfufke.jpg

http://vid805.photobucket.com/albums/yy335/2011gtcs/20150817_113856_zpszqtfufke.mp4

Last edited:

JTS_7

Established Member
Yes, everything looked good. It's the rattling sound. I'm uploading a vid right now. I checked every connection at the turbo, intercooler, tb, etc.

I see oil leaking out of that turbo my friend....probably the turbo.

Hopefully it didnt blow a bunch of oil into your intercooler.

BoostLab here in Tampa can rebuild it for you. They do very good work.

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
You have a major problem. I wouldn't contact the turbo kit manufacture for further diagnosing and troubleshooting.

badblackhemi

Established Member
I see oil leaking out of that turbo my friend....probably the turbo.

Hopefully it didnt blow a bunch of oil into your intercooler.

BoostLab here in Tampa can rebuild it for you. They do very good work.
That's what I was afraid of. What could cause this? It rarely gets driven. Doesn't get beat on..Just faulty turbo and bad luck?
You have a major problem. I wouldn't contact the turbo kit manufacture for further diagnosing and troubleshooting.
When you say major problem, you just mean with the turbo right? Those words scare me lol

hitmix300

Established Member
That's what I was afraid of. What could cause this? It rarely gets driven. Doesn't get beat on..Just faulty turbo and bad luck?

When you say major problem, you just mean with the turbo right? Those words scare me lol

Yes, bad turbo. I would check oil supply so it doesn't happen again

JTS_7

Established Member

There are a few things that could contribute to it. Sometimes its just bad luck. Since the other turbo is still alive, I would assume it may have just been bad luck, since they get oil from the same source and since your motor seems to be pulling decent vacuum.

I wouldnt run the car anymore though, just so you dont possibly cause more damage to the turbo.

badblackhemi

Established Member
There are a few things that could contribute to it. Sometimes its just bad luck. Since the other turbo is still alive, I would assume it may have just been bad luck, since they get oil from the same source and since your motor seems to be pulling decent vacuum.

I wouldnt run the car anymore though, just so you dont possibly cause more damage to the turbo.

Thanks, yeah the other turbo being good helps calm my nerves it's not a major problem. And when I left the house it just seemed to drive different and when it wouldn't build boost I turned around and parked it and pulled the filters.

JTS_7

Established Member
Just curious. Have you checked the turbo for shaft play. Basically just grab the nut on the front (car off LOL) and wiggle it side to side and up and down.

Where is Gimme11's to tell us how high dollar kits can also fail. JFWY buddy. lol

Last edited:

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Where is Gimme11's to tell us how high dollar kits can also fail. JFWY buddy. lol

Don't you threaten me with a good time!!! Lol

All these turbos are made in China now. Yes... Even the $1500 Garrett gt3076r.

Sad but true.

badblackhemi

Established Member
Don't you threaten me with a good time!!! Lol

All these turbos are made in China now. Yes... Even the $1500 Garrett gt3076r.

Sad but true.

Oh for sure, right on top of the turbo it says made in china lol. Just sucks b/c we are getting hammered with overtime and I really don't have time to work on the car.

badblackhemi

Established Member
Broken shaft. What you hear rattling is the exhaust wheel. Contact Garrett they should warranty it.

Thanks, figured it was the turbo. Pretty obvious actually lol. Just needed to hear it from everyone else. Wondering about just upgrading both turbos now. Getting a sleeved shortblock within the month and was going to do bigger turbos anyway.

JTS_7

Established Member
Quite a few ways a shaft can go, I don't think anyone can specifically say without looking at it in person. Could just be "one of those deals" or something could have contributed to it.

I would inspect the other turbo just as a precaution. Which you may want to have a professional do. Give Kirk a call.....if you end up not dealing with Garrett.

Users who are viewing this thread