As requested: Charge temps with unported & ported blower at stock boost

MattACK

Established Member
Only a few people have done the whole ported blower on stock boost levels thing and I was asked what my charge temps ended up being before/after. I have a street pull logged before I did any mods and a full 1/4 mile pull at the track to compare. Results are interesting. The silencer holes are not filled, just a mild port from my friend. Car dyno'd 433/392.

Completely stock street pull:
1st-3rd gear pull, 15 to 88 mph - charge temps increased 8 degrees

Ported blower/inlet/TB & exhaust pull (NO icing, NO fans):
1/4 mile run, 15 to 88 mph for comparison's sake - charge temps increased 2 degrees
1/4 mile run, 0 to 115 mph - charge temps only increased by 4 degrees

I should also note, I did a good run on the highway today from 75 - 130mph and temps increased only 2 degrees. I'm pretty impressed the port made that much of a difference. This would make an interesting road racing setup.

**if you want to view the log files, shoot me a PM with your e-mail address.

*EDIT* Added images to original post.

Dyno pull
dyno-4th pull.jpg

Charge Temps v. Speed.jpg

Charge Temps v. Speed - highway pull.jpg

Last edited:

Mach828

Established Member
Thats it? With my 2.76 pulley i have seen 110degree IAT2 at the starting line and 150 by the top end of the quarter.

Is that normal? I knew they were heatons but that is a huge jump from 1/4 mile pull. Maybe intercooler pump problems?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Interesting that with a ported Eaton and stock boost the temp increases are minimal. Thanks for taking the time to do this.

MattACK

Established Member
Short blasts are one thing... what I would also like to do would be some back to back pulls to see how much heat soak plays into it to see if it actually will maintain this apparent drop in temps.

ctgreddy

Established Member
Wow that's impressive! I'm curious what kinda power you could make with that thing and say a 3.1 upper only. Get it to ~10psi or so and make the normal 450-460 pullied numbers only with a lot cooler temps.

b_dike

Established Member
What is stock on this thing? 3.5"?

3.65 is stock, and thanks for the data. I was one of those asking, and this is what I was hoping to see.

What I've been contemplating, is running a ported setup, but pulley up till I reach roughly the same power levels. Then see how much more efficient the little eaton can be. Then again I don't know if I could resist the temptation to keep the 2.76 I already have...

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Completely stock street pull:
1st-3rd gear pull, 15 to 88 mph - charge temps increased 8 degrees

Ported blower/inlet/TB & exhaust pull (NO icing, NO fans):
1/4 mile run, 15 to 88 mph for comparison's sake - charge temps increased 2 degrees
1/4 mile run, 0 to 115 mph - charge temps only increased by 4 degrees

I should also note, I did a good run on the highway today from 75 - 130mph and temps increased only 2 degrees.

What where the actual temps? Just saying it increased 2 degrees doesn't mean much. That means it could have been 150 and went to 152 or it could mean it was 100 and only went to 102 which I highly doubt.

I have a feeling something is wrong with your data. A quarter mile run from 0 to 115 mph balls out and you only picked up 4 degrees? Not buying it, even with the stock pulley. That blower is working hard. Now if it was already heat soaked and running 160F plus and ambient temps were in the mid 40s maybe I could possibly see it. We need more data.

MattACK

Established Member
Malcolm, at 6500 engine rpms the blower is only spinning at 13.5k rpms, it really isn't spinning that hard compared to a 2.7 only upper car which will spin the blower at over 18k rpms at redline. I understand your hesitation when compared to cars with 2.7 uppers and 4lb lowers, but what you must understand is that the increase in charge temps has more to do with the increased compression of the air and turbulence of it being beat to death by the rotors than it does anything else.

Nothing is wrong with my equipment or my data. The temperature readings are reasonable and linear in nature so a faulty sensor is highly unlikely. Again, if you want to view the logs, I'll be happy to send you the entire file so you can see for yourself. PM me your e-mail. Nobody else that I could find has actually performed a test as such, so there is no comparable data as of right now. Just because it is new and surprising doesn't make it wrong.

Here are a couple graphed logs. The first is the highway pull from 75-125 and the second is that 1/4 mile pass. I plotted the iat1 as well to show that regardless of how the iat1s act, the charge temps react the same in either case. Ambient in the highway log was in the high 80s and the track was mid to high 70s. Notice that charge temps were about 34-36 degrees higher than ambient in both cases, regardless of ait1s.

Charge Temps v. Speed - highway pull.jpg

Charge Temps v. Speed.jpg

Last edited:

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Your IAT2 temps are already high for a stock eaton setup. That's why you're not seeing much change. When I first take my car out for a drive the IAT2s are in the 90 ~ 100 range while just cruising on the highway etc. If I down shifted and made a pull or highway pass it'll be in the 120s real fast which is 20 degrees plus increase. You started out in the 120s that's why you didn't see much change.
Like I said before we needed more data. You didn't supply any actual temps originally but just stated it changed 2 degrees and like I said before that 2 degrees could have been anywhere. Thanks for posting up more data.

BTW looks like you opened up your data log in a spreadsheet app and then charted from there. I've done that a few times myself. You should try out Live Link Gen II. It's pretty sweet for charting data logs and can do histograms which are invaluable. They are a little confusing initially to setup, like watch a youtube video and figure it out confusing lol. But once you have it they work great.

whitedevil95

@the03cobro
Established Member
I am surprised that the numbers are so low. I havent data logged before but i know that with my areoforces i watch my IAT2s at the track. It was an 88 degree day. I was leaving the starting line at about 110-112 and crossing traps at 145-150. This is the reason that pushed me to get a killer chiller.

MattACK

Established Member
I use the genII, but it scales the temps according to the recorded max & mins. It won't plot multiple signals on the same scale or move the signals up and down like genI does, or at least I haven't found out how.

Engine coolant temps were 200 degrees in both cases and I was was driving for almost 3 hours in stop-n-go traffic before the highway pull. These are pretty much worst case scenario numbers I'm giving here. If I were to first take my car out and not have it heat soaked my numbers would be better as well. Not trying to be difficult, but now you're starting to give abstract numbers so I am curious. You say your charge temps are 90-100 degrees but based off of what ambient temp? And you stated it is when you first take your car out, so is it different if you're driving through stop and go interstate traffic? In my situation, I took that highway log after driving the car for about 3-4 hours in city traffic and finally got on an open stretch of highway. I/C fluid temp affects charge temps more than anything, hence why your temps are lower after just starting to drive your car.

I also have a completely stock I/C system with 95k miles on it.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
If ambient temps are around 80F and I'm driving for a long time like say 3 hours like you my IAT2 is around 140 ~ 150. 90 ~ 100 is when the car first takes off and as long as I keep it moving (not stuck in traffic) and I'm not hammering on it it'll hang down there. If I get stuck in stop & go traffic it climbs. Part of that problem is my open air filter under hood right now sucks in engine heat and radiator heat when there's no cool air flow coming in. So I'll see IAT (at MAF) of 120+ at times. I'm working on relocating my air filter to the fender well or shielding it or doing something to keep heat down in stop & go traffic situations.

MattACK

Established Member
Yep, that is where you and I differ among many things. This is just a comparison of before and after charge temp effects from only a ported blower on a stock pulley/intake car. Where regardless of the driving situation, the effects are the same. Driving habits, cooling capacity, and aftermarket blower/intake swaps are not in question. Regardless of the driving situation or temps, any climb in temperature under WOT is only a few degrees regardless if the charge temps are 10, 30, or 50 degrees above ambient which is not typical of any cobra I've ever seen.

You mentioned earlier than you've seen other stock boost cobras run cooler than mine, so if you could provide the links I'd like to look into it more, I'd appreciate it.

Regarding open elements I feel your pain. My lightning with 2.3 whip on it has open filter to and I see the same problems. I also have kooks longtubes dumping heat into the engine bay as well making things worse. Sitting in traffic IAT1s get out of control, but if I get moving for long enough IAT1s can drift back down to ambient, but I/C fluid is heat soaked and it'll never drop back down.

b_dike

Established Member
Ok, op... so what your saying is no matter what your iat2 is at the start of a pull (100*/ 150*) the % of increase is linear, or is it that the increase of 2-4* will be all that's gained?

I think what Malcolm is sayin, sinse your temps were already so high, you only picked up 4*... vs starting with your temps closer to normal, you may have seen a bigger change. Then again you say the rise in temps is linear no matter the starting temp? Sorry guys just trying to wrap my head around this.

Users who are viewing this thread