Asking age while applying for a job?

Never_Enough

Established Member
Nothing wrong with asking for ages. Employers know for a fact that generally speaking younger people tend to lack work ethic so hiring an older person would be the route to take.

One of the dumbest things I have ever read.

I've been asked my age (I'm obviouslywell over 18 so it's not a question you should be asking me) and I have also been asked if I am married. Again, nothing to do with my interview for said job.

Last edited:

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
As stated above..it should not be asked as it can open the door for further discussion on discrimination. When I am interviewing potential candidates it is something I do refrain from asking. I simply ask if they are over the age of 18/21 whichever is required for the position to confirm what was stated on the application.

I was actually flat out asked my age in an interview a few weeks ago and did give it to the representative interviewing me because he was simply verifying the information on my application against the information I was providing. He had my application in front of him with my birth date printed on it. No point in not telling it to him to confirm information IMO.

FAsnakes

الوزن الى القوة
Established Member
It's not a question of who is right, read their response.. You don't have to give your age.. What you need to do is qualify you're legally able to work..
The age discrimination 'protected class' is typically reserved for elders and not young whipper snappers....

IMHO - If i were a recruiter i would move on to another candidate. ..

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
actually it is illegal for them to ask your age unless it is a bona fide occupational requirement. (such as a bar asking if your of legal age to serve alcohol, they however cannot ask directly "how old are you")

Illegal Interview Questions

OP was right.

OP was NOT correct. Virtual was correct.

Did you even bother to read the information on the link you posted?

Illegal Interview Questions

Employers should not ask about any of the following, because to not hire a candidate because of any one of them is discriminatory:

It is not illegal to ask, just stupid, because when you don't hire the candidate for a legitimate reason they can attempt to claim it was discriminatory in nature.

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
Obviously they have to know how old you are.
You have to be so old to even work first of all.
Then there are age requirements for a number of different jobs. Like serving booze, Driving company vehicles, ect.

true

in most states you have to be 18 too serve alcholic drinks and i believe for a company vehicle you must be 25 and older, just like you can only rent a car when you are 25 aswell and your insurance drops :)

and you have to be 16 plus to work for fast food....and 18 to be in the army but i heard there was a program that you can join at 17 so :shrug:

Grant Theft Auto

I hit deer.
Established Member
OP was NOT correct. Virtual was correct.

Did you even bother to read the information on the link you posted?

It is not illegal to ask, just stupid, because when you don't hire the candidate for a legitimate reason they can attempt to claim it was discriminatory in nature.

thats why most imployers use the "i don't like the way they talk" or "i don't like there hair color" as there excuse to cover there ass lol

fiveohhhstang

Established Member
true

in most states you have to be 18 too serve alcholic drinks and i believe for a company vehicle you must be 25 and older, just like you can only rent a car when you are 25 aswell and your insurance drops :)

and you have to be 16 plus to work for fast food....and 18 to be in the army but i heard there was a program that you can join at 17 so :shrug:

That isn't true, and it's not the law. It may be the preference for some employers, but not the law.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that theyre going to pass on your application.

I didnt think it was illigal to ask for your age. At many places, you have to be over a certain age to get the job.... So thats why they ask.

Tractorman

Greatest dad; Regional Qualifier
Established Member
If I were a betting man, I'd bet that theyre going to pass on your application.

I didnt think it was illigal to ask for your age. At many places, you have to be over a certain age to get the job.... So thats why they ask.

Well, considering the guy wrote back with numerous misspelling and grammar errors, I don't feel that I'm missing out on some elite organization.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
thats why most imployers use the "i don't like the way they talk" or "i don't like there hair color" as there excuse to cover there ass lol

Both of those answers would be inappropriate to cover their asses. If an employer is going to discriminate against a protected class they better have a really good and detailed reason when the lawyers come suing.

2k3gt

Established Member
true

I've driven a GOVERNMENT vehicle for my summer job every summer since I was 19...why do you even post when you have no idea what you're talking about? Do you just hope that your facts are right or something?

Users who are viewing this thread