AST 5200 install tips

darreng505

Established Member
Completely agree! In fact, I got the best times on my Tokico's with softer settings but that also led to straight line braking imbalance that contributed to a shifty rear end. I will go with your advice about "the middle setting" for starters. Very logical.

These are inverted struts. I believe the sway bar endlink mounts are those doohickeys on the silver front shocks with the hole in them.

On another dismal note with this install the shop inadvertently broke a reservoir seal because a spacer that was provided that protects the seal from the camber plate was 'the wrong one'. too short or what not. So AST is shipping a new shock out. Probably will miss my Sunday tune day....:bored:

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
Completely agree! In fact, I got the best times on my Tokico's with softer settings but that also led to straight line braking imbalance that contributed to a shifty rear end. I will go with your advice about "the middle setting" for starters. Very logical.

These are inverted struts. I believe the sway bar endlink mounts are those doohickeys on the silver front shocks with the hole in them.

I know they are inverted struts. I just thought you were getting Grand Am spec shocks, since that's what you said in the opening post. All the Grand Am AST's I've seen have used a sway bar mounting bracket on the threaded portion. It's the orange bracket show in the picture below.

46413_4642537034285_402788867_n.jpg

On another dismal note with this install the shop inadvertently broke a reservoir seal because a spacer that was provided that protects the seal from the camber plate was 'the wrong one'. too short or what not. So AST is shipping a new shock out. Probably will miss my Sunday tune day....:bored:

Glad to hear they are sending a whole new shock since they screwed up sending the wrong spacer. Sucks you will probably miss your track day :(

darreng505

Established Member
I know they are inverted struts. I just thought you were getting Grand Am spec shocks, since that's what you said in the opening post. All the Grand Am AST's I've seen have used a sway bar mounting bracket on the threaded portion. It's the orange bracket show in the picture below.

46413_4642537034285_402788867_n.jpg

Glad to hear they are sending a whole new shock since they screwed up sending the wrong spacer. Sucks you will probably miss your track day :(

I asked about this and AST said my 5200 internals are the same as in the grand am spec ones which might have different outer shells and/or brackets.

Car should be finished today or tomorrow so I'm still on schedule for Sunday!

BlackBolt9

Asphalt Donuts
Established Member
I asked about this and AST said my 5200 internals are the same as in the grand am spec ones which might have different outer shells and/or brackets.

Car should be finished today or tomorrow so I'm still on schedule for Sunday!

Oh, ok, guess it doesn't really matter, just have to use shorter sway bar end links, no big deal. Just trying to look out for you :beer:

Glad to hear you should still be able to make your track day :thumbsup:

darreng505

Established Member
Oh, ok, guess it doesn't really matter, just have to use shorter sway bar end links, no big deal. Just trying to look out for you :beer:

Glad to hear you should still be able to make your track day :thumbsup:

Yeah, they said I needed adjustable end links which I got. Finished the corner balance and setup today! Will post afterthoughts results sometime Monday! Thanks again. :burnout:

darreng505

Established Member
Well, the car now outperforms me by leaps and bounds. I spent one day at Summit Shenandoah feeling it out and two days in the wet and rain at VIR this past weekend.

On the sportline springs and Tokico D's (let's call it a street suspension) it was soft and had slow turn in forcing me to turn early and progressive on some corners.

With these AST's and proper corner balance and G-stream wing the turn in is so sharp and crisp that my brain thinks its oversteer compared to before. Going through the upper esses at VIR I used to turn the wheel a good 45 degrees each way. Now its more like 30 degrees.

This new and improved handling effects EVERYTHING. My brake points, brake duration (with the aero)., turn in point, brake release point, throttle point. All of it.

The car re-settles very quickly now, but absorbs curbs like butter. I'll post up some pics later today.

Users who are viewing this thread