At a crossroad with my Boss.... Thoughts?

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I bought my '13 Boss new in May 2012. Coming from a C6 Z06 it took a bit getting used to. But I love my Boss! A year and a half ago I ordered a new GT350 track pack.... Well for a number of reasons I didn't get it. Won't get into that here.....
Well I bought a new daily driver instead... A 15 SS sedan... I love it! I've playing with a 98 Corvette Conv to boot, bringing it back to life. That leaves my Boss.... Less than 2k miles driven the last year. I've been getting the itch to track it. But the car is mint... Not a rock chip or anything.
That brings me to today... I have several friends that have been doing track events. I want to get out there. Just don't know if I can stomach taking the Boss and wearing it some. I know it's what the car was designed for... I feel like I might be better off selling the Boss for a dedicated track car that isn't mint.... But I love the Boss! I think I know the answer, but what do you guys think?
Track guys... How hard is 3-4 HPDE events a year on the car?

Thanks for any opinions!

noldevin

Established Member
I've been doing 2-4 HPDE events a year in my 2014 GT Track pack. If you keep up with your maintenance it really isn't that bad on the car. You'll probably want to shorten your oil change interval and bleed your brakes before each event.
The engine can handle it just fine, just keep an eye on your temps. Shifting a bit lower than normal will help drastically keeping the temps down, otherwise you might need a better oil cooling setup.

The factory Brembo brakes are a good starting point, but regular pads won't do for the track. I'd pick up a dedicated set of rotors and real track pads, and swap out your fluid for fresh DOT4 (Motul RBF600 works well). The brake cooling ducts are a nice addition but not 100% necessary.

Obviously you'll go through tires quicker. How much quicker depends on your driving.

HPDE is generally pretty safe as long as you go with a good organization with good rules and instructors. That being said, as you start pushing the car you run the (albeit slight) risk of things going wrong, so if you can't stomach writing off the car, don't track it.

GrabUblue

Established Member
Poor Boss, not even 2k miles a year. I've always liked your car, I would have a hard time parting with it.

Jabooh1

Established Member
I tracked my LS for a while. One full set of race tires. My problem was the thought of wrecking a $50k car. I was always trying to push It and do better. Go figure, racing gets competitive.

Then I drove my dads spec Miata. He had $8,000 in it. It was great. More fun than the boss because you could slightly damage it and not care. Total the thing and your out $8k!

After that I decided to stop putting the LS on the track and only race spec miatas. Haven't had the boss on the track in 18 months.

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
Track day insurance is a thing.

NASA or SCCA is a good starting point, instructors are worth their weight in gold.

You will likely need a brake fluid swap as you get faster.

FKing1

Established Member
I autocross my 13 about 6 SCCA events a year for last 3.
No stone chips from that just a couple scrapes from hitting cones that polish off.
This car is too much fun racing it to not do it.

FKing1

Established Member
I autocross my 13 about 6 SCCA events a year for last 3.
No stone chips from that just a couple scrapes from hitting cones that polish off.
This car is too much fun racing it to not do it.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks guys for your input! 12 years ago I had a 04 BMW M3 that I did 2 HPDE with and a few auto crosses... I had a blast with it. No question I want to get back out there.
The track insurance is a good thing too...I'll look into that.
The last SCCA event here a 16 Mustang GT hit the wall hard... Although the driver was ok, the car was a complete loss..... last year a dude had three go pros on his car during an event, on the main straight one came off the car and hit the new 15 Z06 coming behind him and cracked the carbon fiber fender......
Stuff happens.... but after being so anal with the car for over four years, I don't know if I can just turn that off.
My brother inlaw is looking at a C5 Z06 to prep for track use... Something older that if it get hurt a little it won't kill him..... But the Boss would have to go for that....

Jabooh1

Established Member
Look into a used spec Miata. You can get them cheap. Then when you need more power drop a Honda V6 in there. 240hp and only adds 10lb. to the Miata.

67fastbackguy

Established Member
There is a clear bra on mine. Think it's the 3m and its worked out great so far. I can see where it's absorbed some rocks. Doesn't look like anything under it just the thick 3m is scratched, but easily repaired.

bostonboss

Established Member
Track it! They are made to be driven. It's not going to go up in value (at least not anytime in the next 30 years) so you might as well enjoy it. And tracking the boss is VERY enjoyable.

RobG64

Established Member
Track it! They are made to be driven. It's not going to go up in value (at least not anytime in the next 30 years) so you might as well enjoy it. And tracking the boss is VERY enjoyable.

What BostonBoss said...........track it! It's what the car was made for.

Rob

mustang5o

Established Member
My overall opinion would be clear bra and track it as others have said. If you're really concered only do events you can get insurance for but that doubles your event price. I've heard of very few incidents doing HPDE's. If you have the money get the Miata as well and just track the Boss occasionally with insurance. That's my plan for next year if I can find a cheap Miata. However I am taking my chances on the Mustang Roundup in Hastings, NE in a few weeks. Great event and great people so I feel pretty safe.

IamRacerX

Established Member
Thanks everyone for your opinions... My buddy that owns a body shop informed me what a nightmare removing a clear bra is.... So don't think I'm going that route. But I am going to have some fun. If it seems I'm messing up the Boss, I'll figure out what's next then.

dlaude

Established Member
When would a clear bra be removed? For a bumper repaint? To sell the car? Just curious - I've got one on mine and if I ever go to sell the car, I plan on selling it with it on there. I think many buyers of these cars would like the extra protection on their bumper. And if not, it's their problem to get off haha.

Tank5879

Established Member
you could do what i did on my boss, I did clar bra on the bumper cover only. yes it left hood and fenders exposed but in theory you could just replace the bumper cover if the removal of the bra doesn't work

Users who are viewing this thread