AT&T or Cox for internet? How fast for Xbox Live?

50 Proof

Established Member
Should I go with AT&T Dsl or Cox for my internet?

Also, I'm trying to figure out how fast of an internet connection I'm going to need for Xbox Live? I don't want to pay for more internet than I need.

AT&T has a 1.5 Mbps download / 384 Kbps upload for $35 - month to month plan or 768 Kbps / 384 Kbps for $20 with a 1 year contract

Cox has 768 / 256 for $20 per month or 1.5 / 256 for $28.99 a month.

Is it necessary to have a connection faster than 1.5mbps?

SNCBOOM

Established Member
I'm going to bet that you're going to have some pissed off teammates if you plan on playing XBL with DSL.

50 Proof

Established Member
haha well help a newb out. what do you recommend?

I'm not sure what DSL plan is at the place I'm living at right now but I just ran a dsl speed test here and it registered a 1.6mbps download speed. I've never had any issues playing xbox live here. I'm moving next weekend though so I need to find an internet setup pretty quick.

SNCBOOM

Established Member
It might work. I've always gotten the cable internet/tv bundle for like $80 with premium channels. I'm at 7483/1960 kbps

The Piper

Direction To Perfection
Established Member
Cable. I have Cox with the premium package for internet for $49.99. With that I have 5 computers hooked up (3 WIFI), a XBOX and PS3 both WIFI. Never has missed a beat, and great speed.

JasonSnake

Established Member
From my experience, DSL seems to slow up a lot when other computers are accessing the net at the same time as my brother played his xbox live (before he destroyed the poor thing - thank god for that). However, it was a basic 2 Mb DSL.

Everything changed when we had switched to cable. Using the same router and everthing, my brother couldn't even tell there was any extra lag when other PC's were trying to hog the net.

Cobra Was Here

I Miss My Cobra
Established Member
I have been playing XBL for years, and honestly I have no clue how much of an up/down speed it takes to play games without lag. I usually just get the best rate I can, paying the price.

LSUstang05

Established Member
I have ATT DSL at 6mbps. Works WAY better than when we had Cox Cable. The roommates and I were paying $40/month for 12mbps and were only getting 2mbps from the hours of 2pm-~1am. Too many people were on the lines to get our full speed. DSL FTW

OCCOBRA

Picture Whirled Peas
Established Member
Cox is one, a better company and AT&T is the new kid on the block and they where rotten as phone company and nothing has changed. Cox has always been great for the customer service and from what i have been reading they are offering the same speed initially cheaper but more expensive down the line.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
If you're talking AT&T UVerse, nothing beats it. We've had Cox and Time Warner, wouldn't go back if they paid me.

50 Proof

Established Member
I have ATT DSL at 6mbps. Works WAY better than when we had Cox Cable. The roommates and I were paying $40/month for 12mbps and were only getting 2mbps from the hours of 2pm-~1am. Too many people were on the lines to get our full speed. DSL FTW

See this is what i'm afraid of. Cox is the main provider for internet service for the apartment complex i'm moving into. if Cox is cable, which I believe it is, wont my internet connection slow significantly during peak usage hours? Isn't cable shared bandwidth that can slow down when a lot of people are on the same network compared to DSL where internet speeds aren't affected by the number of people using dsl?

Aside from customer service, what else sucks about AT&T?

stangin99

Established Member
I have Uverse and am hoping me and the roommates switch back to cable.

Having 2-3 computers/TV's on it at any one time lags it down pretty bad. Plus you can only watch 2 HD channels at any time. This includes DVR'ing as a channel. So if someone is recording an HD show, you can only watch 1 HD channel in the rest of the house.

I'll take cable any day.

carrrnuttt

My shit don't stink
Established Member

This is my experience as well, although MY DSL (Qwest) is rated at 7Mbps. I test at a steady 6Mbps. When I had Cox Cable internet, I was paying for their 6Mbps package, and was regulary seeing my test speed go down to the 1.5Mbps range at peak times.

I'm just waiting on Qwest's fiber-optic lines to be installed in my area, then I'm going that route.

ViciousJay

Established Member
Whenever they get the Uverse out in more areas, try it... it's light years beyond DSL or cable.

i tried it and i will NEVER use it again! i was sooo disppointed in their network, sorry but comcast kills them in speed

and At&t is ona supposed fiber network (my ass)

AT&T max mb download = 18mb

Comcast max mb download = 22mb

i was very disappointed at the speed of the at&t

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread