At the Track or Street...Granny Shift or Double Clutch?

Granny Shift or Double Clutch??

• Granny Shift

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Double Clutch

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Don't know what Double Clutch Means

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Just wondering how you guys drive your cars when you are in a race whether it be at the track or on the street...

Cobra'03

Established Member
Uhhhh. double clutching is worse than granny clutching - here is the def. of DC as I know it. Used to use this technique to drive big rig trucks.

Double Clutching

First of all let's deal with the "double declutching " issue. This is really only the British term for 'double clutching' and makes reference in some way I suppose, to the fact that it is usually a downshifting maneuver in disengaging the clutch. The first stage in a full 'heel and toe' gear change is the simple use of double clutching. On its own this is a fairly simple little dance of the toes and it goes like this:

1. You are driving along in your TR, MG or whatever in third gear for example, approaching a corner and preparing to shift to second. You brake with the left edge of the ball of your right foot as usual.

2. Depressing the clutch with your left foot the shift lever passes through neutral as this happens you release the clutch pedal out again half way, thus setting the mechanics of the clutch assembly in motion again.

3. Then fully depress the clutch to complete your shift into second.

mmars

Meet me in the twisties!
Established Member
Please don't tell me you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time... :D

:beer:

--Matt

larryc7777

Established Member
Double-clutching is usually reserved for vehicles that have "balky" transmissions, no syncros, ect. We used to have to drive the older manual shift firetrucks that way since their trannies weren't sychronized(just 1st was). I can't think of a slower shift technique.
Maybe you should have asked whether people granny-shifted, speed-shifted, or power-shifted.:idea:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
Always double de-clutch when dropping gears for a street or freeway pass. Preserves the balance of the car.

Last edited:

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by mmars
Please don't tell me you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time... :D

:beer:

--Matt

No shit, where else could that question possibly have come from?

Please tell us you aren't asking how to shift from a quoting line in The F&F...

Double clutching at the track????? :nonono: :( :eek: :dw: :lol1:

EDIT: I don't run at the track, but mine gets powershifted when I'm whuppin it.

Last edited:

2F2F

[2 F]ast [2 F]urious
Established Member
> Cobra'03: That's heel and toe - different beast.

Both employ rev matching. Double de-clutching however, does not involve braking.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Originally posted by larryc7777

Maybe you should have asked whether people granny-shifted, speed-shifted, or power-shifted.:idea:

I know what a power shift is, but what's a speed shift? Or am I just being stupid and it's simply a faster version of the granny, while still lifting the foot off the gas?:)

SVTdubs

have you seen my baseball
Established Member
I was wondering the same thing. I think we both assume correctly that you let off the gas and shift quickly.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
okay... maybe im wrong but i thought double clutching was the same thing as described when downshifting just doing it while up shifting... this way it would synconize(sp) the engine speed to the gear when shifting and you save your tranny...

larryc7777

Established Member
Granny-shift = The kind of shift you would do if you were taking your Granny to church. Slow with as little jerk as possible.:sleeping:

Speed-shift = A fast shift but with a throttle lift.:bored:

Power-shift = Balls to the wall. Shifts done by stabbing the clutch, yanking the shifter for all your worth, & keeping the loud pedal as far into the carpet as your right foot can push it.:-D

Seriously, powershifts require good hand/foot coordination & a good "feel" for the car that your driving. Those not used to powershifting WILL miss gears, but the best ETs will come from the fastest shifts. I know somebody is going to say that they don't powershift because the tires break loose when they do. My answer is find some traction somehow....tires, suspension, whatever. The racetrack doesn't care about excuses, it only cares about fast.

Users who are viewing this thread