At the Track or Street...Granny Shift or Double Clutch?

Granny Shift or Double Clutch??

• Granny Shift

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • Double Clutch

Votes: 5 17.2%
  • Don't know what Double Clutch Means

Votes: 11 37.9%

• Total voters

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
I use the speed shift.

I find he '03 clutch imprecise enough and grabs so low to the floor that I just have no luck with the power shift.

I can powershift my Fairlane, and Turbocoupe with no problems... but the not the cobra.

My1stFord

Established Member
speed shift here.. I dont have quite the nads to keep the pedal to the metal, miss a gear and watch that needle hit beyond 7k.

not yet at least. :)

ArizonaSnake

Established Member
Originally posted by My1stFord
speed shift here.. I dont have quite the nads to keep the pedal to the metal, miss a gear and watch that needle hit beyond 7k.

not yet at least. :)

Don't sweat it... the rev limiter will catch it... it is the grinding of gears I do that I don't like. :gt:

And yes my 67 Fairlane has a revlimiter as well.

94SVT Coupe

Ford Fanatic
Established Member
Originally posted by ArizonaSnake
I use the speed shift.

I find he '03 clutch imprecise enough and grabs so low to the floor that I just have no luck with the power shift.

An adjustable clutch quadrant/firewall adapter will really help that out. I couldn't powershift mine until I did that mod. Mine fully releases 2-3" from the floor now. I used to have to put it to the carpet.

NeedForSpeed

Established Member
With the Pro-5.0 I find it very easy to bang through the gears. I alternate between lifting the gas a little and sometimes keeping it floored, but I shift so damn fast sometimes it almost doesn't matter.

You gotta yank that lever and slam into into the next gear like you wanna kill it, with the stock shifter, the 2nd to 3rd shift always make some unwanted noises.

Hey Top Racer, I haven't seen you at atco yet, I've wen't twice so far, didn't go this friday cause of the rain. I usally also go to philly to the races alot, you should meet up and come over.

We always have a good time, you'll get to see first hand what you can do the other street cars. I mop the road with usally all of them. I've only been beat once, and that was by my buddies 9 sec T\A that he had to ba an ass and bring it out with wheelie bars and slicks just to shut my mouth about the no loss win streak I had going..........

Last edited:

larryc7777

Established Member
If anybody is interested in learning to powershift without putting maximum strain on the engine, just work on your technique at lower rpms & don't have the throttle floored. Take it to 3000 rpm in first, hold the throttle steady, & then CONCENTRATE on what you are going to do......stab the clutch and pull the shifter HARD into second. Be sure to make that clutch disengage & engage again as quickly as possible. You still might grind some gears, but the engine won't suffer from a missed shift. Once you have a handle on the technique, try it with a more aggressive throttle usage. When you feel comfortable with powershifting, go for the gold. Be ready to lift off of the throttle though, because a good 1-2 powershift at full throttle WILL spin the tires so hard that you will probably bump the rev limiter if you aren't ready to feather the throttle to avoid it. :beer:
You'll probably find that the 2-3 shift is the most difficult. For some reason, a lot of shifters have a problem with passing through the neutral gate on the way to third. Probably the best advice that I can give is this: If you are going to powershift, then BE PREPARED TO POWERSHIFT. If you become complacent, your chances of missing a gear increase many times. Good luck & go out there and hammer some gears.:burnout:

cito

Official Kumho Shredder
Established Member
Double-clutching a modern car makes little sense to me whatsoever. I have never done it and never will.

My '53 pickup, yes, my '03 Cobra, no.

Granny shifting implies also that you shift early, slowly, and often. You know, actually using all six gears to get to 60.

In typical street driving (given a speed limit of 70), I go 1,2,6. Downshift as (and if) needed to pass.

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by cito

In typical street driving (given a speed limit of 70), I go 1,2,6. Downshift as (and if) needed to pass.

In street driving to 70MPH I go 1, 2, 4, 6. I like that extra power of 4th.:coolman: :rockon:

Users who are viewing this thread