at what hp level does stock h-pipe get restrictive on 04 cobra?

the ambush

Established Member
cause i'm not sure i still want to take the cats off.

i just bolted on a new dynomax ultraflow 3" catback, and i love the sound, it's quiet when cruising and sounds free flowing when WOT. i just heard a catless-x-piped cobra with flowmaster cat-back and i think it sound way too loud, even at idle it's loud.

is it the muffler or the x-pipe that makes it that loud?

and will an x-pipe yield substantial hp with stock pulley setup?

thanks

TrueBlueGT

is impressed!
Established Member
Originally posted by the ambush

Q:cause i'm not sure i still want to take the cats off.
A: So don't. Get an X w/ high flow cats.

i just bolted on a new dynomax ultraflow 3" catback, and i love the sound, it's quiet when cruising and sounds free flowing when WOT. i just heard a catless-x-piped cobra with flowmaster cat-back and i think it sound way too loud, even at idle it's loud.

Q:is it the muffler or the x-pipe that makes it that loud?
A: Both, obviously, but the catless X such as mine does make it a lot louder than just the catback alone.

Q:and will an x-pipe yield substantial hp with stock pulley setup?
A: In a word, Yes.

thanks

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Went 11.71 @122 with a CAI, 2.8, cat-back, & tune on Nitto DRs...

The stock-H can make power! I'm sure others have gone faster.

redsvtcobra

Established Member
The stock H will not rob you of power at moderately modded levels, there are even KB'd/Whippled cars with stock H. Keep the H if you like how it is sounding now :rockon:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
My Magnaflow catted X-pipe netted by about 7rwhp with just a catback. So there are very little gains with a near-stock setup. I have no idea how much of a power gain it gave me when my motor was more highly modded. It would be interesting for someone to do some real dyno testing with various mid-pipes with and without cats on near stock and more highly modded motors to see some real world numbers.

For those considering an X-pipe, I've read a number of posts here that say the Dr. Gas X-pipe makes the most power.

Orange Poison

Established Member
Originally posted by the ambush
from what i understand you went back to stock h-pipe !

thanks for your input

Yeah....I had on the Magnaflow catback and catted X...didn't like the sound at all, very high pitched, droned and gave me a headache after cruising around an hour with the windows down. Seemed to lose some low end torque. Felt good on the top end though

Put back on the stock H, installed Flowmaster American thunder, but was too quiet...seem to gain some low end torque again, but got choked up on the top end.

Switch out the Flowmaster for the Stinger....the best combo to date...love the sound, seat of the pants is there on the low and top end. Looks are uncomparable to others.

Users who are viewing this thread