At what point does raising minimum wage stop?

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
A segment of the population doesn't want to work, $ 24/hr. is not a motivator.
The party in power doesn't want them to work, turns out " free " stuff is a motivator !!

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Employers in their respective industries are battling each other, no end in sight.

TerminatoRS

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Target pisses $24/hr into the wind on unmotivated, low-skill employees. Then the consumer gets to eat the wage increase in the form of higher prices. What else is new these days?

tistan

Established Member
I’ve been starting people at 20.00 for entry level positions and even at that price point it’s like pulling teeth to find anyone worth a damn
They aren't worth a damn, and that is the problem. I fired everyone and it is now just my wife and I and we subcontract everything. It cost us more per job, but we no longer deal with the employee bull shit. At $10-15 an hour, you can do some training and hope things work out. At $25-30 an hour, they better come in making you money, or you are going to lose your ass.

tistan

Established Member
Arizona is full of such people, they want the same high wages for the same lack of work ethic.
Exactly, Mexicans in the trades are charging out the ass, and they want cushier jobs now too. My landscaper is Mexican and he is having a hard time keeping staff at $30 an hour.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Exactly, Mexicans in the trades are charging out the ass, and they want cushier jobs now too. My landscaper is Mexican and he is having a hard time keeping staff at $30 an hour.

4 years ago pipeline jobs were starting at $32 an hour

Now it’s 40ish.. and they still are having problem keeping people

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Every company I talk to says they can't replace the boomers that retire and many beg them to come back part time. The problem being that the trade/construction boomers that retired left because their bodies are shot.

ToddW702

Established Member
I had to hire in December. Just someone to answer phones and pass calls. I got no replies at 14.00 in LAs Vegas. Changed it to 16.50 and got some resumes. Last time I hired for this position was 2016 and it was for 12.00. Now people that came in at 12 and have worked up to 17-18 fell like shit I’m sure because the new person strolls in at 16.50 and is already wondering when they get a raise. Crazy times for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I had to hire in December. Just someone to answer phones and pass calls. I got no replies at 14.00 in LAs Vegas. Changed it to 16.50 and got some resumes. Last time I hired for this position was 2016 and it was for 12.00. Now people that came in at 12 and have worked up to 17-18 fell like shit I’m sure because the new person strolls in at 16.50 and is already wondering when they get a raise. Crazy times for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

That wage compression is going to drive wage inflation for the foreseeable future. The Fed is so far behind, it's a joke.

jaxbusa

Established Member
Sure feels like a swift kick in the nuts to those who have been in the workforce for 20+ years earning their way to higher wages. As mentioned, kids these days can't figure out if they're a human, a cat, which potty to use, or which hair color to go with.

Maybe if that wage starts creeping into the 30s, some experienced folks with work ethic could slide into a comparatively simple job and still pay the mortgage. lol

It is a huge kick. Maybe in a few years I might end up like Kevin Spacey’s character in the movie American Beauty. I think a lot of places are going to have to hold back wages for long time employees to fund beginners at these higher wages.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Blown 89

Established Member
Pay doesn't matter. A few years ago we we told that $12/hour was a living wage and would give us better labor, then $15, then $20. You can't raise one subgroup's wages and not anyone else so you just end up driving up the cost of living, making business owners poorer and decreasing the low skilled labor's buying power.

The bottom line is that progressivism has poisoned our work force and their ideals are literally driving our economy into the ground.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
Pay doesn't matter. A few years ago we we told that $12/hour was a living wage and would give us better labor, then $15, then $20. You can't raise one subgroup's wages and not anyone else so you just end up driving up the cost of living, making business owners poorer and decreasing the low skilled labor's buying power.

The bottom line is that progressivism has poisoned our work force and their ideals are literally driving our economy into the ground.
Mmmmhmmm

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
My first RN gig paid 24 and hr...and that was only 7 years ago

This is what I like be saying on my ****ed up whore corner soapbox. These inflated wages at mindless jobs are going to start having an impact on fields like healthcare and it is going to be entertaining when it happens.

Mavericks and Ridgelines are for guys that have joint FB accounts and tailgate before Curling matches.

tistan

Established Member
This is what I like be saying on my ****ed up whore corner soapbox. These inflated wages at mindless jobs are going to start having an impact on fields like healthcare and it is going to be entertaining when it happens.

Mavericks and Ridgelines are for guys that have joint FB accounts and tailgate before Curling matches.
People in healthcare, who are overworked and under a lot of stress, have to be looking at these starting pays and thinking that they can live on that and not have to deal with a lot of bull shit.

ToddW702

Established Member
That wage compression is going to drive wage inflation for the foreseeable future. The Fed is so far behind, it's a joke.

It’s really a problem for small businesses. I gave an extra pay increase across the board the end of last year because I care about my employees and value them. I already pay them well or I would be facing wage inversion like some I know. A business owner I know had to replace his whole office and is hurting trying to get 5 people all up to speed at the same time. He hired a new worker with zero experience at the same wage as one of his best and oldest employee. And then gave the new employee a raise 60 days after hiring them. It caused all 4 of his seasoned employees to go idle and start looking for work on his time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

sleek98

Established Member

My wife is an RN as well. The new hires are making around 3-4 bucks an hour less than she is with 12 years of experience. They are supposedly doing 3 rounds of raises based upon a bunch of random factors, last one got her an extra buck. If it wasnt for her $5 float dif she would have left a while ago.

Users who are viewing this thread