Atheists

VegasMichael

Established Member
I don't have a problem with the atheistic segment who ask for evidence of God and it can't be shown. I do have a problem with those who think that because everything isn't perfect and handed to them on a silver platter that there can't possibly be a God. I was raised Catholic and went to parochial elementary school/junior high/high school/college. I'm a believer in some sort of God but my beliefs are by no means scripture based. My belief is that God is out there but He has left us to our own devices. Thoughts?

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
My belief is that God is out there but He has left us to our own devices. Thoughts?

This is exactly what I think. I was raised Catholic as well, but as I've gotten older I have developed my own beliefs.
My mother is very religious and always says,"God was looking out and made this happen", or something like that. My response is there is so much suffering in the world and good people die excruciating deaths. If God was actually actively changing people's lives then why is there so much hurt some unfortunate souls experience?
I think God leaves us to grow on our own and in the end we will be judged.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
This is exactly what I think. I was raised Catholic as well, but as I've gotten older I have developed my own beliefs.
My mother is very religious and always says,"God was looking out and made this happen", or something like that. My response is there is so much suffering in the world and good people die excruciating deaths. If God was actually actively changing people's lives then why is there so much hurt some unfortunate souls experience?
I think God leaves us to grow on our own and in the end we will be judged.
Mainstream Christian theology would say the reason this is so is because man chose poorly in the very beginning. He, along with his wife, had a perfect relationship with God but man did not follow explicit instructions, and decided he would do things differently. He became separated from God due to his own choices, and in the book Moses wrote, Genesis, it is described that God promised things would be VERY difficult on the physical Earth from then on.

There is more to the story, obviously, but this is the Christian explanation for why life is so hard. Blame satan, not God.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
I find it amusing that those who do not believe push the prove there is a God. It takes a whole lot more faith to believe that everything just happened then to believe there is a creator. Those who choose not to believe do so because they want to run their life the way they want and having moral standards will not allow them to do so.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I wasn't blaming God. I was trying to make a point that I don't think he intervenes. Or not very often anyway, regardless of circumstance
I'm with you.

I think his interventions are much more of the spiritual variety, than the physical.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
Mainstream Christian theology would say the reason this is so is because man chose poorly in the very beginning. He, along with his wife, had a perfect relationship with God but man did not follow explicit instructions, and decided he would do things differently. He became separated from God due to his own choices, and in the book Moses wrote, Genesis, it is described that God promised things would be VERY difficult on the physical Earth from then on.

There is more to the story, obviously, but this is the Christian explanation for why life is so hard. Blame satan, not God.

And it's only getting more difficult and complicated by the day. Just look at the Middle East and the world in a whole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CV355

_
Established Member

If you're only happy with God when you're doing well, and angry at God when things aren't going well, is the problem whether or not He exists?

That's the main issue I have with militant atheists.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Why would you have a problem what someone else thinks? God or no god who cares, you can't change people's minds like they probably can't change yours.
Because their mindset makes no sense. Why would they think there is no God because everything isn't perfect?

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
It happens. Daughter in law was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a year ago. Given 9 months to a year. It is now over a year and the cancer is in total remission. Luck, coencidence, miracle. Doctor says she has done something that was not supposed to happen. I like to believe that all the prayers that were sent had something to do with it.

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
The Christian faith promotes morals, which is a good thing. I personally don't know anyone who is an atheist, but I know enough people out there who say that almost every Christian is judgemental, holier than thou are....bla bla bla. This mindset, in my opinion creates some to be atheist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coiled03

Established Member
I find it amusing that those who do not believe push the prove there is a God. It takes a whole lot more faith to believe that everything just happened then to believe there is a creator. Those who choose not to believe do so because they want to run their life the way they want and having moral standards will not allow them to do so.

Excuse me? I don't believe in God, and I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me I have no moral standards. Quite the contrary, my standards are higher than any religious nut job I know.

Way to go OP. No strong opinions at all with this topic.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Excuse me? I don't believe in God, and I'll be damned if someone is going to tell me I have no moral standards. Quite the contrary, my standards are higher than any religious nut job I know.

Way to go OP. No strong opinions at all with this topic.
I agree with you. Just because you are a non-believer does not mean you are a bad or immoral person. That's one thing that being brought up Catholic always pissed me off. Just because you are not like me does not make you a bad person.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Who didn't see this coming. Raise your hands. And only 17 posts in.

6a76f4a3-4ad2-4ae2-8a3b-c092e85586af.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread