Atheists

Established Member
Seems like us that start life catholic have the most tormented paths to religion. That said, I'm confident that there is a higher power, and maybe god is the best way our minds in general can comprehend that reality, and maybe that is why Christ was given to mankind. The ten commandments are with out a doubt in my mind, the best set of rules to run a society that have ever been written, and even if you are atheist, drop the first 4 and the last 6 will do just fine. Of course, the big ten came way before Jesus, yet clearly were of one god and religious belief.

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Ever heard a true believer admit they might be wrong? How arrogant do you have to be to not acknowledge that you could be wrong?

I understand your point, but you have to factor in faith. The Big Bang is only a theory that has not been proven. But, a lot of scientist believe in that theory, and some work tirelessly to prove it. They formed a hypothesis and try and logically explain it. They have a strong belief in it, but they don't really know.

Now take a believer, I'll use myself as an example: I believe there is a God, but I don't know. However, I have "faith" God is real which is a stronger emotion than the subjective or objective scientist who is trying to prove his theory.

Yeah we both have "theories", but I have a spiritual involvement in mine.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The Christian faith promotes morals, which is a good thing. I personally don't know anyone who is an atheist, but I know enough people out there who say that almost every Christian is judgemental, holier than thou are....bla bla bla. This mindset, in my opinion creates some to be atheist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Those people are hypocrites, nothing more, and nothing less. These people are focused on religion and man made rules. They are worshipping belief over God.

Jesus dealt with the same people. The Pharisees were Jewish religious leaders that were nothing more than judgemental, pompous, arrogant snakes. In fact, Jesus called them such.

There are a lot of what I like to call Pharisee churches today.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

pwrshft99

Established Member
I dont consider myself an atheist but also cannot take religion seriously.

Ive gotten ridiculed before but, what about dinosaurs?? The fact that these beast owned the planet for millions of years before man showed up kinda pokes holes in the "God and 7 days" story.

Does any religion acknowledge that the universe existed before man?

Coiled03

Established Member
Okay reason and logic. Let’s go back to the beginning. Consences is the universe began with the Big Bang. Yeah it is theory but the one most agreed on. So you have the Big Bang expanding universe. How? Cause and effect, for every effect there has to be a cause, logical right. So what was the cause? Something or Someone had to start the Big Bang. You will say it just happened, I say the creator started it. Which is more logical?

If your creator started it, what created him? Cause and effect goes both ways, right? Oh, wait.... He exists outside our understanding of space, time, etc., right? So, in other words, you don't hold your beliefs to the same standards you hold everyone else's to. How convenient.

Anyhow, as you pointed out, the big bang is a theory. And just because we don't have the answers today, doesn't mean we never will. Science has shown us amazing things just in my short lifetime. I can't imagine what we'll learn in the next 100 - 150 years. Meanwhile, scientists aren't threatening me with eternal hell if I don't believe what they tell me.

Oh by the way the Bible is totally consistent if you keep it in context and do not pick and choose verses.

No, it's not. It never has been, and it never will be.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member

Coiled03

Established Member
Disagree. I'm an advocate of Pascal's wager. How can you go wrong with that?

Ruling by fear? No, I don't want any part of a God that would punish you simply because you aren't sure, or even if you don't believe.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
After reading what I wrote, that's the question you ask me? Sure, I've considered it. I'll find out when I die.

And no, it's not better to believe "just in case".
To say you believe, just to believe is not believing. That is being a lemming. You are doing more harm than good if you say you believe in God just because it might be the right thing to do. The reality is that you would not believe at all, you would still doubt everything.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Ruling by fear? No, I don't want any part of a God that would punish you simply because you aren't sure, or even if you don't believe.
If you were standing in a burning building, and there was one person who said he knew the way out, and you elected to not follow him and thus perished, would you consider that punishment, or consequences?

VegasMichael

Established Member
But there is no penalty, dude. It's not fear. It's a safety valve. An insurance policy. You hope you don't need it but if you do it is there. You don't fear safety, do you? Just believe and go about your moral business. Maybe help someone out along the way....

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I dont consider myself an atheist but also cannot take religion seriously.

Ive gotten ridiculed before but, what about dinosaurs?? The fact that these beast owned the planet for millions of years before man showed up kinda pokes holes in the "God and 7 days" story.

Does any religion acknowledge that the universe existed before man?
I am looking forward to answering this one.

Did dinosaurs roam the earth before man, or did they coexist for a time?

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
But there is no penalty, dude. It's not fear. It's a safety valve. An insurance policy. You hope you don't need it but if you do it is there. You don't fear safety, do you? Just believe and go about your moral business. Maybe help someone out along the way....
I think Revv said this above. I would argue that truly believing something (which is life changing in this example) and just saying you believe in something, is simply not sufficient.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
If your creator started it, what created him? Cause and effect goes both ways, right? Oh, wait.... He exists outside our understanding of space, time, etc., right? So, in other words, you don't hold your beliefs to the same standards you hold everyone else's to. How convenient.

Anyhow, as you pointed out, the big bang is a theory. And just because we don't have the answers today, doesn't mean we never will. Science has shown us amazing things just in my short lifetime. I can't imagine what we'll learn in the next 100 - 150 years. Meanwhile, scientists aren't threatening me with eternal hell if I don't believe what they tell me.

No, it's not. It never has been, and it never will be.

That used to be my go-to question to shut Christians up, "Who created God"? What is the origin of God?

Users who are viewing this thread