Audi owners, come in.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Thinking about getting a S4 for a DD. I love the looks and comfort, BUT, hows the reliability of these things? Do you really need the extended warranty? Its either between an S4 and a BMW 335i.

Thoughts/opinions?

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I get nervous with these European cars. They are very comfortable and look great.. but.. I witnessed the horror story my mom went through with her MB CLK430. She had an extended warranty and ran up over $11K worth of repairs in 3 years.

I think that's a solid idea, leasing... trade it in every few years for a different one. No plans for modding it obviously

Last edited:

kingCOBRAsvt_99

STOCK..looking
Established Member
If you don't get a warranty with it your going to be sorry.... I used to work at a vw dealership and my friend is a service manager at an Audi dealership for what it's worth.

Got Torque

well do yah?
Established Member
Lease one and see how you like it.
The new A4 will be coming next year which means a new S4 and based on the current performance of the S3 the new S4 will be an even better performer.
I too work for VW/Audi. Audi parts are crazy expensive but I bet that holds true to BMW and Mercedes as well.
S4>335

Last edited:

dom418

Established Member
German autos FTL ime as far as cost of ownership. Unless you have the disposable income to trade them in once the warranty expires. Extended warranty is definitely a must.

shurur

Established Member
You are getting it new with a warrantee; so I wouldn't worry about it.

I think...to the best of my knowledge....
The s4 is a 3.0 V6 with a roots supercharger....and a timing belt...
And the BMW 335 is an inline6 3.0 with twin turbo and a timing chain..the 335 has more potential to respond to chipping...but since you are buying new, mods are not an issue.

Both of these are cutting edge and will have more problems than most. The Audi is the buggyist of the two.

I owned a 2002 Audi a4 3.0 and a 330xi at the same time.

I totaled the BMW while driving down to FL. The wife got a g35 coupe to replace it.....better car in every way....and what I want to get evetually...

My Audi has 200k on it and needs control arms (a routine problem...along with the timing belt), front axles, rear camber bushings, rear brakes discs..etc...

Bottom line: if you keep the car; make sure you're in love....or dump her but before the warrantee is over..

Last edited:

earl lee

Established Member
Lease it then release it. They all end up having some issue after the warranty is gone unless you a baller and dont mind the up keep of flat out owning it. Only luxury car worth owning that wont give you any problems is a lexus or acura but I dont really consider acura luxury. FWD will never be luxury to me.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I like lexus' s however I dont really think any fit into the category im after. I dont know much, but it needs to be in competition with an S4.

I think leasing would be the way to go with these. Keep on turnijg them over and always have a warranty. The S4 is faster though, right?

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Been fond of the S5 for a few years. Only experience is with Mercedes (AMG) outside of warranty and it held up fine as long as issues were addressed before they became bigger issues.

Euro performance cars are one of the few where leasing makes sense, since they can get expensive once the warranty expires.

xenodragon

Established Member
BMW generally has better lease deals than Audi

The three people that I know that had Audi's 1) grenaded the gear box (he had an exhaust with auto trans otherwise stock) 2) engine froze up and siezed at 50k miles 3) electrical issues galore. These were all 2010 model year or newer.

BMW has its share of problems. However, BMW has 50k free maintenance. A huge tuning community. And overall in my opinion of 14 years of BMWs the better manufacturer. FWIW, I have never had a big problem with any of the BMWs I owned. Minor dumb stuff that I could have lived with. Also $60 oil changes by my dealer.

Check out the M235i, great little car and the AWD version does 0-60 in 4.4 quoted from BMW site. Also cheaper than the s4 or 335

CobRoush-00

Established Member
I am on my third Audi A4. Currently own two of them. If you buy brand new, it comes with a warranty (50K miles from Audi). No need to worry about buying an extended warranty for now especially from the dealer, waste of money. If you buy used, I highly recommend you get an extended warranty, (still not from the dealer because they buy it from other companies and resell it to you) because repairs can be pretty expensive for any little thing. For example one light bulb for my headlight cost $258. My best advice would be to lease the car (only if a lease makes sense in your financial life), drive if for 2-3 years and then trade it for a new one. They are awesome cars if you take care of them. I have no major complaints. An S4 will make you smile everyday as a DD. Good luck.

dom418

Established Member

shurur

Established Member
Infiniti g37x...coupe or sedan.

Taurus awd sho

I like this site to compare cars
http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/AddCompare.aspx

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread