Auto A/C gurus step in please

toomanytoys

Established Member
Having a problem with the a/c in my sons car. He's got my old 03 Mercury Sable with 52k on it. The air in the car blows warm. When I checked the compressor it was coming on and not cycling. Next I hooked up my manifold and with the air on max I got 275psi on the high side and 18psi on the low. With the system off if balanced to 110psi. With those working pressures does it seem like the orifice might be clogged? If I remember isn't it supposed to be around 225 and 40? Any other ideas of things I could check?

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
Not sure about pressures, but with a higher high and a lower low I would think it would still work.

Have you checked your blend door motor?

toomanytoys

Established Member
I tried but no luck on that. The car has digital climate control and the blend door has a large electronic box attached to it. I'm not sure how to test it

toomanytoys

Established Member
It doesn't cycle. When the a/c is turned on it comes on and stays on. And the condenser fan comes on as well

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like a plugged orifice. I'm going to regret saying that on SVTP. Unfortunately I think that the orifice on those is built into the line, and if it is plugged, the compressor is probably not far behind.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
Sounds like a plugged orifice. I'm going to regret saying that on SVTP. Unfortunately I think that the orifice on those is built into the line, and if it is plugged, the compressor is probably not far behind.
Why regret?

That would be my first bet.

The compressor is dead heading pressure, which means no return.

And yeah, if the orifice is plugged, odds are the compressor will be shot.

Users who are viewing this thread