Auto Advice

xsboosted

Established Member
I am looking to go with an auto setup in my cobra and I am kinda on the fence between a c4 and 4r70w. I have a 3.4 crusher on e85 and was wondering how built does a 4r70w need to be to withstand the power my car makes? Is anyone else running this combo?

Wicked46

Under Pressure
Established Member
Do you drive your car on the street? A C4 would SUCK on the street without OD. I have a built Lentech 4R70W with a 9.5' non lock-up converter and its the BEST mod i've done to my car. Great street manners and even better at the track. My car has a VMP TVS at 20lbs of boost.

xsboosted

Established Member
Do you drive your car on the street? A C4 would SUCK on the street without OD. I have a built Lentech 4R70W with a 9.5' non lock-up converter and its the BEST mod i've done to my car. Great street manners and even better at the track. My car has a VMP TVS at 20lbs of boost.

what kind of money do you have in that setup?

GTpower01

Established Member
I had a Lentech aod or aode i think rated to 2000 hp... It was a strip terminator transmission and with a 2v 550rwhp gt I blew it.... Was on the highway and wasn't even really beating on it... Wouldn't recommend lentech.... I had an art carr c4 trans too with reverse manual valve body, 3 speed, 3600 stall, and JandW bellhousing.... Ran Like a charm... Go c4, but ur streetability is limited.... Usually I cant cruise more than 55mph and I'm at 3300 rpms at 55pmh with a 3.73... Good Luck!!! Have a cobra with t-56 now!!! Happy for the street!

Also you will need a trans cooler, as these transmissions always heat up when used on the street.... Good for drag and passes though with breaks in between!!!

Good Luck with ur decision. Art Carr went out of business awhile ago!! Pa Performance possible is still around though

Last edited:

xsboosted

Established Member
Yea I've read mixed reviews on lentech, there is a redneck racing c4 rated at a high hp near me for sale, I may go with.

PACIFICGREENSVT

Established Member
I had bad luck with my Red neck performance c4.
Just put in a 4r70w built for 700hp and I love it!! With a 3200 stall PI converter I love it!!
The multi disc lock up converter is so nice when its locked up in overdrive. Also with 20 pounds boost it just keeps pulling and pulling and pulling. Oh and did I say I love it?

Last edited:

Evo2SVT

Established Member
I run a PA C4 reverse manual VB in mine. No issues at all on the street 28" tall tire with 3.55 gear. I turn about 2800rpm cruising 65. Also remember reading that the C4 is about 3 tenths faster in the 1/4 over the 4r70w.

xsboosted

Established Member
Have you ran your car with current setup boosted?

I ran it in the 8th a couple times on a bad clutch. Best time was 6.80 at 102. Best mph was 7.0 at 109. The 4:10s hurt it really. I'm trying to sell it, if it sells it sells if not it'll see an automatic

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
I just went auto, I currently have a stock untouched other than an intermediate shaft 4R70W in my car with a 10" billet race converter with OD and Lock-up. I haven't had any issues yet other than going to the track on drag radials, it just blew them off. 10.30@132 so far but this heat and spinning killed it. I'm sure you make more power than me (740 through old 6 speed) so it should easily be a 9 sec car. I have $1,227 in my set up $300 stock tranny $132 intermediate shaft $450 shipped race converter (sweet on highway at 80mph 2400RPM) $70 industrial truck trans cooler and $275 quarter stick shifter (optional).

You can easily sell your manual set up to fund this swap, there are small other fittings etc for the swap that cost and run into but it can still be done with no money out of pocket.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I just went auto, I currently have a stock untouched other than an intermediate shaft 4R70W in my car with a 10" billet race converter with OD and Lock-up. I haven't had any issues yet other than going to the track on drag radials, it just blew them off. 10.30@132 so far but this heat and spinning killed it. I'm sure you make more power than me (740 through old 6 speed) so it should easily be a 9 sec car. I have $1,227 in my set up $300 stock tranny $132 intermediate shaft $450 shipped race converter (sweet on highway at 80mph 2400RPM) $70 industrial truck trans cooler and $275 quarter stick shifter (optional).

You can easily sell your manual set up to fund this swap, there are small other fittings etc for the swap that cost and run into but it can still be done with no money out of pocket.

You have REALLY peaked my interest in an auto now.
All the complete built auto packages I have looked at are well above $4000.
The stocker is holding up to your power?
Did you modify your stock drive shaft?

turbotrail93

6 speed king!
Established Member
You have REALLY peaked my interest in an auto now.
All the complete built auto packages I have looked at are well above $4000.
The stocker is holding up to your power?
Did you modify your stock drive shaft?

I'll get some info on you on the drive shaft, my pops just happend to have one laying around. so I don't know exactly what those specs were, and I also forgot to say that you will need a flex plate, regardless with those you can still fund it with the sale of your T-56

So far I've had no issues, I drove it 200+ miles this past weekend in 95* florida weather on the interstate @ 80MPH and did just fine. I haven't had it on a full slick yet to see if it holds, but i've researched this plenty and the worst thing to happen is the intermediate shaft breaking and making carnage in the rest of the internals. For $132 you can avoid that, then if you run into issues it will just be burnt up clutches which don't cost an arm and a leg and not hard to do. Once that happens I'll upgrade, so far-- no issues.

My trans had 80k original miles on it when bought from a mustang yard.

Senkak

SVT Poster
Established Member
I'll get some info on you on the drive shaft, my pops just happend to have one laying around. so I don't know exactly what those specs were, and I also forgot to say that you will need a flex plate, regardless with those you can still fund it with the sale of your T-56

So far I've had no issues, I drove it 200+ miles this past weekend in 95* florida weather on the interstate @ 80MPH and did just fine. I haven't had it on a full slick yet to see if it holds, but i've researched this plenty and the worst thing to happen is the intermediate shaft breaking and making carnage in the rest of the internals. For $132 you can avoid that, then if you run into issues it will just be burnt up clutches which don't cost an arm and a leg and not hard to do. Once that happens I'll upgrade, so far-- no issues.

My trans had 80k original miles on it when bought from a mustang yard.

Thanks for the input!
I'd still like to get a 9 before I go auto.
All I need is to go .052 faster!!! Darn it!!!

Users who are viewing this thread