Auto Cobra Guys... Help me solve this problem...

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Ok let me try to make this as simple as possible. Ive got a strip terminator Lentech Aode. I bought a used Precision converter with a 3200 stall. The trans is a lockup trans, and the converter is a multi disc lockup converter. The transmission was special ordered with lockup, per my discussion with Len, after he pulled the build sheet on the trans. The problem is, the Precision converter WILL NOT fit.... If it is put on the trans then put onto the car, their is an extra .5" needed to allow the converter to spin and tighten the bolts (this being told to me by the guys installing it). The converter, once installed on the trans and trans put into the car, jams up against the flex plate. The problem has something to do with either the input shaft configuration or the oil pump or who knows. A stock converter works flawlessly, it mounts and allows for bolting up perfectly. The converters are the exactly the same height, but they have different neck lenghts. The neck of the stocker is .5" shorter than the PI converter- exactly the amount of space that is required to make it work..... Can someone please shed some light on what the hell i am supposed to do? Do i have to shave that .5" off the op and re-groove the oil pump keyways or whatever, or do i need a specific converter?

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
a built 4r70w with a stock input shaft etc.... like i said, why would stock converter work and this one not both being built to stock spec, but the neck being .5" longer on the PI?

MalcolmV8

Established Member
My first guess would have been that you're not getting the converter to properly engage the oil pump. It can be tricky and a pita but you got the stock one to go in so it sounds like you know what you're doing.
Also if the PI converter is .5" longer than the stock converter I'd say it's made for a longer input shaft than stock?
Call the manufacture and verify for sure. You definitely don't want to just tighten it down or you'll destroy the oil pump and entire tranny too if you fire it and run it.

8URSRT

Established Member
If they are getting the converter all the way on, I would say you were an incorrect converter.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
It seems that the depth of the stock converter is about .75" deeper versus the PI converter so that's where the problem lies.... Now the question is what to do??

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
like I said on MF....you either got shafted on the converter and its not for a 4r.....or your guys arent putting it on all the way. I ran a Lentech strip and a triple disc PI for 2 years

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
So i looked into the situation today, once again and found out that it is not the lenght of the input shaft that is the issue. The depth of the converter is fine- the neck of the converter is about 1/3" roughly longer than the stock converter- measured from the bolting flat surface of the converter to the neck... I Cannot figure out why the converter is causing this issue, since the stocker works beautifully. PI tells me that you need 1.035" between the face of the bell housing, to bolting surface of the converter- i have something like 5/8" with the PI the way it sits, and as installed it smashes against the flexplate, not allowing it to be spun or bolted...... So here are some things we are contemplating-
a- Get another converter
b- Trim the neck of the converter about 3/8" to allow it move in a little (detrement to this being that it may place the converter too deep on the splined shafts etc?)
c- Shim the trans out a bit more to allow it to move away from the flexplate.... (easiest most practical solution)

Anyone ever experienced this, and what would you recommend or suggest to any of my options..... Please refrain from being cynical

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Maybe I missed it up above but have you called PI and explained what's going on? If so what was their suggestions? I still think you have the wrong converter but they can confirm that for sure or if not explain what you should do.

Cutting the converter or shimming the tranny are probably bad ideas. If you shim the tranny away from the motor you'll loose that bell housing to motor surface area and just have the shimmed bolt points as pressure points.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
What i meant by shimming it away was to possibly put another one of the rear motor plates, that plate that goes between the motor and trans, and pushing it back a little- I have talked to PI, Circle D and Lentech.... Every one of them said that if the spline count was the same, that the converter should work..... I Just cannot stand this, i just want it to work, everyone said it "should" work, and thats it, not why it possibly wouldnt.... If the stocker works, then that means that my transmission not only has the stock spline count, but the stock converter and the PI have the same amount of splines (as the PI fully mounts), and the converter i got came off a basically stock 4r70w.....
Here is a question.... how big of a role does the flex plate play in the converters mating surface? Does a JW have a different offset from the stock flex plate? Im contemplating getting the flex plate from the guy who sold me the converter in hopes that may solve this mystery...

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
why are you trying to fix everything else but the actual problem??

again.....

its either the wrong converter

OR

your not installing it correctly..PERIOD. there is no other option to this scenario. you dont shim trannies or cut converters....

the triple disc has more layers to get past when installing it. if its not sitting well past the face of the trans then its NOT all the way on.

Evo2SVT

Established Member
Don't rig it together that's what the guy did to me when i bought my car last a half tank of street driving just do it right the 1st time
3 options
1. Take the converter to a converter shop and have them replace the neck or hub to the proper length.
2. put a spacer between the bell housing and the trans.
3. Order a new convert built to spec for your car

gt347mustang

Established Member
why are you trying to fix everything else but the actual problem??

again.....

its either the wrong converter

OR

your not installing it correctly..PERIOD. there is no other option to this scenario. you dont shim trannies or cut converters....

the triple disc has more layers to get past when installing it. if its not sitting well past the face of the trans then its NOT all the way on.

This!

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
i feel like that really is my only option..... fml, im just gonna get lentech to send me a converter, i just was hoping to avoid having to buy a second one.... The converter IS all the way on, there is no if ands or buts about it. We have tried on so many damned different occasions to get this to work its not funny. I know what i need to do, i just was hoping i could fix this more timely than ordering a new converter

Blackedout

Established Member
Post some pics of everything.... flex plate and the converters side by side..

MalcolmV8

Established Member
Have you had someone else come look at your converter and try and seat it down in the pump on the tranny? Sometimes when you're so suck on a problem you can't refocus and see the issue. Maybe a fresh set of eyes would help?

Post lots of detailed pics like above poster says. Maybe someone on here can tell you something new.

redfr03svtsnake

Import Killer since 03'
Established Member
Well i went and talked to lentech again today. Len said that there are two different stock flex plates, there is one thats for the 6 bolt crank that is recessed more towards the motor than the 8bolt crank flexplate that is really for the 4r100 and a couple other transmissions, like the mach etc- the exact difference is something like .20-.30" soooo i now have a JW flexplate on the way that is a replica of the 6 bolt gt flexplate, with an 8bolt configuration.Im gonna cross my fingers, and hope to god that this gives me what i need, as this was the flex plate used with the converter i have before i bought it

Last edited:

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
Well i went and talked to lentech again today. Len said that there are two different stock flex plates, there is one thats for the 6 bolt crank that is recessed more towards the motor than the 8bolt crank flexplate that is really for the 4r100 and a couple other transmissions, like the mach etc- the exact difference is something like .20-.30" soooo i now have a JW flexplate on the way that is a replica of the 6 bolt gt flexplate, with an 8bolt configuration.Im gonna cross my fingers, and hope to god that this gives me what i need, as this was the flex plate used with the converter i have before i bought it

what???

JW makes TWO balancers....a 6 bolt and an 8 bolt...your SO going about this the completely wrong way and making headaches for yourself. Ive posted your problem several times. I ran this combo flawlessly for 2 years and removed / installed the trans at least 5 times in that period. There is no "hybrid" flywheel. The flywheel is balanced for each application. Putting something else on there could /will have drastic consequences. Seems you skip over all of my posts anyways so I guess good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread