auto cross modification tips

WPGFORDGUY

Established Member
SSWWRITE said:
ACTUALLY THE 03-04 COBRA was dropped this year to F stock from A stock - the only other stock class is a couple HS as the ols stang II and inlines.

huh wha? News to me, where's my checkbook....

tim87tr

Maximum Torque Mission
Established Member
WPGFORDGUY said:
I'll PM my alignment set up I used on my 02 Dmod GT to you... it's a really fine line between enough camber to turn and not too much to stop.

I also research some rear settings for you as well, getting the car to turn with the weight over the nose is a challenge but with proper steering input it's a blast.

My fav mods are

Hawk Pads
Braided Lines

Can you send the alignment specs to me at [email protected]? I wouldn't mind setting the car up for a street/auto cross alignment and just leaving it like that. Would you know if those settings can be used for open track also? I did my first open track event and had a blast. The list of cars there was amazing, Lambos, Porsches, Lotus, Z06, etc.

I have the IRS Delrin/UHMW/Aluminum bushing package that I am going to install in about a month. I bought new tires and that was a big improvement also. The car has braided lines and I just installed new rotors and Hawk pads. Other than that, I'll be working on the seat time mod:coolman:

SM99GT

Established Member
Lethalchem said:
They stuck me in SM2 (forced induction above a certain displacement) even though I was stock in everything but upped boost and exhaust. I don't know how they figured that since it's for 2-seaters, but oh well, the point was to have fun, and I did for 2 years. I ran Kumho MX's for awhile as well, and liked them quite a bit. They had surprisingly good treadlife too.

On my stock suspension, I found 42psi front and 35psi rear worked best on the Kumho's, although I have no idea what will be best with your modded suspension. Stickier tires is what I would suggest, then learn to drive it. The Cobra is very contrallable compared to other cars I've driven at the edge.

I was in SM2 as well with the Vortec on my car but i got to studying the rule book for this year (2007) and they changed the classification for the supercharger on the Mustang. You can actually run SM now so long as you do not go under the specified weight for your adjusted displacement. For the Mustang, you add 1.4L for the supercharger so i think the minimum weight is 2900lbs. My car is no where near that nor would a Cobra be. If you want to run SM, look into it. Up until this year, you would have had to run SM2. I was surprised to see the change too because i have been running SM2 for the same reason. You should be legal in SM.

Lethalchem

Sigmund Frod
Established Member
Ha...I shouldn't be in SM either, as far as I'm concerned. Kicking me out of a stock class just because I upped the boost 4psi is silly. We all know HP isn't what wins races in an autocross. Still, I know that's not how the rules see it.

etfhb

Established Member
So how are these cars holding up after a nice hot day of autox with a smaller pulley and no port?

I enjoy these events with my stock 03 and my car always runs like a champ even with temps of 100.

I finally want to pulley up, but want opinions on how the car will behave after autocrossing all day.

Thanks guys, wish there was more traffic in this section.

TroyV

Brakes only slow you down
Established Member
I'm into my third season on the 2.76. No port. I have never limped the car. There have been some very hot days..

nightstalker865

Established Member
I have run both the 2.76 and the 2.93 and have never had over heating issues.

The next mod on my list after the clutch is going to be the T2-R. I have heard to many good things about them to pass is up.

etfhb

Established Member
03SteedaGT said:
I have run both the 2.76 and the 2.93 and have never had over heating issues.

The next mod on my list after the clutch is going to be the T2-R. I have heard to many good things about them to pass is up.

Nice to hear no issues with the smaller pulley.

Have you ever logged coolant temps during autox/open track?

Do you have any cooling mods?

nightstalker865

Established Member
etfhb said:
Nice to hear no issues with the smaller pulley.

Have you ever logged coolant temps during autox/open track?

Do you have any cooling mods?

I have only once seen the temp guage get over the center mark. I just backed off for a couple laps then went right back to it.

As for the cooling mods. I am running the even flow head cooling mod and a LFP Heat Exchanger. I am also running 60/40 (water/coolant) mix on coolant along with a bottle of water wetter. I am also running a 170 degree stat.

o4nccobra

another log on the fire
Established Member
Today was yhe first auto x Ive done in 10 years let alone in a cobra (last car was a c/sp civic) needless to say, all season pzeros are not an effective tire by any means. I may has well been on a wet track. Finesse was not an option. I tried to run it in second gear but would spin at about 1800 rpm as soon as I applied even 1/4 throttle. I do have to say it was excellent motivation to search for a more effective set up compared to stock.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I have had no temp issues running the local SCCA events (small airport runway stuff, 60 second runs) at 90 plus degrees here in Florida. I do have a LFP DP H/E with a fan setup. Running a 2.9 pulley and tune.

Users who are viewing this thread