Auto guys? Gears over converter?

Need4Speed03

Established Member
The car only ran a 10.x once and was never able to get out of the 11's again. So the point being the car ran that one good time despite the 4.10's. Which is the point of this thread. A few have gone faster in far worst DA with 3.31's which is what's commonly known now as the best gear N/A. At least at the track. And one of the most well respected tuners stated it early in this thread.

Sorry for the technicality...Larry's car (which I know he no longer owns), has the bolt-on N/A record as far as I know with 4.10/5c/stock intake combo. DA isn't listed beside records in the record books...

I do agree 3.31 is a great gear and allows you to stay in 3rd through the traps N/A...but my point was others have ran great times N/A with 4.10's also (my buddy being one of them)

3.31's being the best is not new thinking...it's been proven to be great and debated for years.

Last edited:

GearsNBeers

Established Member
Scott you are totally right about converter. Just didn't like your crack at Casper. When I got my car and looked for info online Casper, Kdanner, and WB were above and beyond helpful in answering questions. WB even gave me a useful gear ratio mph spreadsheet and Casper went as far as giving me his phone number If I had any questions while at the track the first time. He was more bracket racing oriented which was what I was looking for. There are many more but those three in my experience did quite a bit for the community. Car to car at the same track I still think WB's car would have beat Casper's car.

Last edited:

nordy racer

Established Member
I think CasperGt is still the quickest NA Bolt-on auto at 10.74 at like 125 (you can google for exact times...I think it was like a 1.45 60ft!). That was with 5c and 4.10's...JPC tune and setup and all supporting mods.

one run and never back it up. and the owner wasn't driving the car.

nordy racer

Established Member
Sorry for the technicality...Larry's car (which I know he no longer owns), has the bolt-on N/A record as far as I know with 4.10/5c/stock intake combo. DA isn't listed beside records in the record books....

and it didn't have a Stock intake on the car when it ran that ONE 10 sec run..

nordy racer

Established Member
The car only ran a 10.x once and was never able to get out of the 11's again. So the point being the car ran that one good time despite the 4.10's. Which is the point of this thread. A few have gone faster in far worst DA with 3.31's which is what's commonly known now as the best gear N/A. At least at the track. And one of the most well respected tuners stated it early in this thread.

TRUE.. its amazing how a driver that weights 150lbs can make a car quicker then a owner that weights 240+...

scotmach

Established Member
one run and never back it up. and the owner wasn't driving the car.

My point exactly. Larry was never honest with the whole thing to boot.

Honestly someone like you has as much experience as anyone with gears/converter combo and you seem to think 3.31's are the way to go.

And you probably drive your own car as well!:lol1:

Last edited:

Need4Speed03

Established Member

scotmach

Established Member
Stock intake or not I think we're getting off track here. The question was gears or converter and I think we've all learned through testing the way to go is a converter which makes a significant difference and gears do very little.

Need4Speed03

Established Member
Stock intake or not I think we're getting off track here. The question was gears or converter and I think we've all learned through testing the way to go is a converter which makes a significant difference and gears do very little.

I agree 100%...I just thought is was funny you and Nordy were quick to jump in an basically discredit a great accomplishment by JPC with Larry's car.

So to sum it up...it was more then 1 magical run, it was backed up, it was with the stock intake, and it was with 4.10's.

Back on topic, yes I agree a converter helps these cars out tremendously! But this topic had been beat to death many, many times...

nordy racer

Established Member
I am the ONLY one that drives my car and my weight is 245lbs and my weight at race weight is about 3760. How they got that car down to 3500 race weight is total amazing. And it's weird how they state a RWHP almost the same as mine with after market intake. I guess I should have my tuner drive my car because he's lighter hahaha.

Last edited:

hoodley

Established Member
MAde it to the track finally!!!! track prep wasnt great, since it was sunday and maybe 20 or so people there. but i did click off a best pass of 12.18 @115
w/ a 1.903 60ft. that was matting it off idle, building it up raised the 60ft to 1.95ish, lost 1 mph and was going 12.20s consistent.
but man it hits 2nd and wants to get crazy! chirps 3rd and goes into 4th about 50 or so feet before the 1/4.

Voltwings

Established Member
Do you guys footbrake your auto on the line the build revs? My GF is interested in taking her car out to the track but i dont have much experience with these Auto's. Its tuned so hopefully we dont run into any sort of traction control nannies trying to footbrake the launch, but some insight would be great, thanks. I think she'll be a touch slower than 12.18 though haha awesome time man.

92fiveohfox

Established Member
Do you guys footbrake your auto on the line the build revs? My GF is interested in taking her car out to the track but i dont have much experience with these Auto's. Its tuned so hopefully we dont run into any sort of traction control nannies trying to footbrake the launch, but some insight would be great, thanks. I think she'll be a touch slower than 12.18 though haha awesome time man.

Mine does better footbraking to about 1500. Other people have said they get better results at idle. Try both.

nordy racer

Established Member
stock converter to about 1400.. Circle D's are all over the place that's best for your car..

Voltwings

Established Member
She'll be on the stock converter so we'll start there, i launch my m6 around 2500 so im glad yall mentioned starting a little lower than that haha.

hoodley

Established Member
i tried footbraking it up on the converter and about 12-1400. idk best pass was dead idle.

GearsNBeers

Established Member
The stock converters are really finicky for sure. Its my biggest gripe with the autos. Another reason why converter better than gears. It also slightly varies from car to car. They have their own personalities haha. My car personally was about 1200. Like hold at 1200 with brake pedal down. Then on third yellow mat it to full throttle and let go of breaks. You just have to play around with it from idle up to around what Nordy said.

Another big thing is if you aren't going off idle don't hold the rpms for an extended period of time. That always absolutely killed my 60 ft. Try and bring it up at the first countdown light after you are already staged. I would be interested to know why if somebody who is really tech savvy would explain. Never encountered that situation before. The best explanation I heard was aeration of tranny fluid due to the converter which was pretty vague.

Users who are viewing this thread