Auto guys? Gears over converter?

Mike Rousch

Established Member
Mike...

Just curious when you switched to 4.10 in your test runs what were you running? Have you tuned anyone else that has 4.10's on here? I went to 4.10's late last year and its a blast to drive even though like you said it really didn't gain me much of anything at the track.

The first time I made the test the car was pretty much stock, had a off road, drag radial (275/40/17) and tune. I did 5 test passes with the stock gears and then 5 passes with the 4.10s. On average they were within a few hundreds of each other with the 3.15s being a touch faster. Shortly after that i put a 5C in the car and did the same test, The results were the same as the first test. I would have to go back and look at the data but i think the times were around 12.20s with the stock converter and around 11.70s with the 5C. I do have plenty of other guys local and email tunes that are running 4.10s, There cars also show the same results.

beefcake

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
we started out with 4.10's in the car when it was n/a, then added the vortech way back in 2010. car was initially running 10.8's. For bowling green, we swapped to 3.55's in the car. ET's were exactly the same.

We never recommend over 3.55's to anyone. The 4.17 first gear is just ridiculous. When you do the math compared to an aod car or even a 5r55, it's like having way more gear out of the hole than it seems like.

Not to mention mpg. Last year in the red car, to and from the Chicago race, we averaged 25mpg with me, the wife, 2 kids, and the car loaded down with luggage. probably 4500lbs - 4600lbs with gear. A 4.10 would def cut down on that.

viperakron

Established Member
I picked up 3 tenths going to 3.73 gears, but didn't help the 60ft much. Maybe 8 hundredths. Now have a 4C and expect a big improvement in the 60!. Just waiting for similar weather to compare against the last passes.

2012csgt

Established Member
we started out with 4.10's in the car when it was n/a, then added the vortech way back in 2010. car was initially running 10.8's. For bowling green, we swapped to 3.55's in the car. ET's were exactly the same.

We never recommend over 3.55's to anyone. The 4.17 first gear is just ridiculous. When you do the math compared to an aod car or even a 5r55, it's like having way more gear out of the hole than it seems like.

Not to mention mpg. Last year in the red car, to and from the Chicago race, we averaged 25mpg with me, the wife, 2 kids, and the car loaded down with luggage. probably 4500lbs - 4600lbs with gear. A 4.10 would def cut down on that.

So what gears do you run in the red car beef?

hoodley

Established Member
MAN OH MAN! got my MIKE ROUSCH tune, aaaaand it starts raining!WTF!!!!!
only got to drive a short way this morning since it dried up! AND DAAAAMN! this thing feels like a different car!!!! I cant wait to get some time to really drive it and see what it does, i am impressed. Thanks Mike

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I think CasperGt is still the quickest NA Bolt-on auto at 10.74 at like 125 (you can google for exact times...I think it was like a 1.45 60ft!). That was with 5c and 4.10's...JPC tune and setup and all supporting mods. Anyway, I've seen 3.15, 3.31, 3.73, and 4.10 cars run very well...all of them.

I swapped the 3.15's for 3.73's mainly for spray but it did make the car nicer to drive around town. I'm still on stock converter.

I know a buddy (4VFTW) who has 5c/4.10 setup and his car runs well also and he just ripped a 1.40 60ft on spray on stock suspension! I believe he is Mike Roush tuned.

Just depends on what you want I guess.

Last edited:

92fiveohfox

Established Member
I went 3.15 to 3.55 and I lost a tenth and had drivability issues. Got a mike rousch tune and he fixed the issues. I would stay with stock gears if I had to do it again. I don't want to spend the 450 to swap back at this point since the car is running good finally.

RC-5.0

Established Member
I had 3.73's and went back down to 3.31 because I lost MPG on the hwy without any difference in feel of the car. Now with the TVS it's a good thing I did. By reading the posts, looks like the lower gears are the way to go and spend the $$ on the Circle D.
RC

Need4Speed03

Established Member
I had 3.73's and went back down to 3.31 because I lost MPG on the hwy without any difference in feel of the car. Now with the TVS it's a good thing I did. By reading the posts, looks like the lower gears are the way to go and spend the $$ on the Circle D.
RC

You have to actually FLOOR the car to feel any difference! Lol (just kidding)

Anyway, with the torque of your TVS, no need for converter. Put a good tire on it and the car should launch hard. One day we gotta hit the track!

Last edited:

RC-5.0

Established Member
You have to actually FLOOR the car to feel any difference! Lol (just kidding)

Anyway, with the torque of your TVS, no need for converter. Put a good tire on it and the car should launch hard. One day we gotta hit the track!

Yeah Scott...want to go for the first time on a Wed when it's not too crowded...get more passes. The Dead Hooker Springs and Panhard bar going on This Thursday..Ill be at Steeda in the morning.
RC

scotmach

Established Member
I think CasperGt is still the quickest NA Bolt-on auto at 10.74 at like 125
Actually no he doesn't. And Larry (CasperGT) wasn't even actually driving the car. All he did was turn over the keys and car to JPC and they did all the work/driving. And that car was driven on a closed well prepped strip in -2000 DA.

GearsNBeers

Established Member
Actually no he doesn't. And Larry (CasperGT) wasn't even actually driving the car. All he did was turn over the keys and car to JPC and they did all the work/driving. And that car was driven on a closed well prepped strip in -2000 DA.

Oh scott quit being a tool. It's no secret you and larry never liked each other. For him I think it was always based on the fact that you just read something and take it as your own. Bench racing at its finest. It really bugs you he set that record doesn't it.

Need4Speed03

Established Member

What does it matter who was driving or what the conditions were? The car layed down sick times.

So who has gone quicker, bolt-on N/A?

scotmach

Established Member
What does it matter who was driving or what the conditions were? The car layed down sick times.

So who has gone quicker, bolt-on N/A?

The car only ran a 10.x once and was never able to get out of the 11's again. So the point being the car ran that one good time despite the 4.10's. Which is the point of this thread. A few have gone faster in far worst DA with 3.31's which is what's commonly known now as the best gear N/A. At least at the track. And one of the most well respected tuners stated it early in this thread.

scotmach

Established Member
Oh scott quit being a tool. It's no secret you and larry never liked each other. For him I think it was always based on the fact that you just read something and take it as your own. Bench racing at its finest. It really bugs you he set that record doesn't it.
Not at all and he never set anything. Heck he wasn't even in the same state when that car ran.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread