Auto trans service poll.

What is the best auto trans type of service.

• Old style, drain pan replace filter.

Votes: 6 40.0%
  • New style, flush system replace fluid.

Votes: 9 60.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

2814v

Established Member
Well it is time to service my daily drivers auto trans. The first time I had it done the pan was drained and the filter changed. This replaced only 5 to 6 qts of fluid. My question is should I get the same service again or get the system vacumed dry and refilled.

aaandht

Established Member
If its an auto, the machine sucks everything out of the trans including the torque converter. Unless you have an old trans the torque converter cannot be drained unless you drill a hole and drain it manually...to which if you go too far you you will damage the torque converter and need a new one.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Nope, folks been changing it the conventional way for 50+ years with good results. I am guessing you do not have a torque converter drain plug.
For the money of a flush you change it twice as often and still be money ahead.

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
My teacher taught me an oldschool way of flushing an auto tranny.

You take two buckets fill one with transmission fluid, the other one empty. Disconnect the tranny lines from the radiator, put one in the fluid bucket, the other in the empty bucket and start the car. When the fluid runs red in the empty bucket you're done.

2814v

Established Member
No TQ drain plug, I have heard some negative things about flushing the system. But replacing most of the fluid sounds better then just replacing a 1/4 of it.

oldmodman

Established Member
BuckChoklit said:
My teacher taught me an oldschool way of flushing an auto tranny.

You take two buckets fill one with transmission fluid, the other one empty. Disconnect the tranny lines from the radiator, put one in the fluid bucket, the other in the empty bucket and start the car. When the fluid runs red in the empty bucket you're done.

That's the way I've done it since the sixties. Plus, after exchanging all the fluid I drop the pan and replace the filter. Then I take the fluid from the pan, filter it and pore it back into the trans, check the level and I'm done. That way the filter and ALL the fluid is new.

VenomousChick

Established Member
Hiya.. im a service advisor- so let me tell ya the truth. A flush is WAY more beneficial than conventional pan service. Doing it that way only does 5-6 quarts of fluid. flushing the thing gets 16 quarts of fluid out and cleans the screen. Some new transmissions dont even have filters anymore. As for the bucket method.. I have never heard of it-- not meaning it doesnt work, but if you run the vehicle like that you can damage the clutches due to lack of lubrication. In the long run- its worth the extra bucks! People who dont do it at all run into big problems.. I have not yet replaced a transmission that has had fluid flushes every 30k miles. Now- keep in mind- use the proper fluid- (ie- dextron 6 etc) otherwise it can cause harsh shifts. Keep in mind- dirty fluid can cause trans sensors (pulse generators in valve body) to go bad!! Try to get into a dealer to have it done so its done right with the right stuff. Good Luck!!

BuckChoklit

Schooled by Satan
Established Member
VenomousChick said:
I have never heard of it-- not meaning it doesnt work, but if you run the vehicle like that you can damage the clutches due to lack of lubrication.

There is no lack of lubrication because the transmission line is constantly submerged in fresh transmission fluid. The tranny pump pulls the new stuff in while spitting the old stuff out.

Zorabot

Al Bundy
Established Member
Furthermore to that there are no clutches engaged while the car is in park or nuetral only the pump is spinning.

People been changing auto trans fluid the conventional way forever with damn good results, many a trans from the crappy 70's and 80's gone 200k with just a fluid exchange and a new filter, some of GM's best transmissions didnt even use a cheese cloth filter but a piece of screen to keep the big bits out.
Some of the flush machines may contain a questionable additive package as well, another thing that needs to be taken into consideration is the fluid changes. If a trans has 100k on fluid that never been changed you might as well do nothing to it and pray, a trans flush would surely kill a trans that has been subjected to this.

SWThomas

El Cazador
Established Member
I don't trust the in-pan filter alone. It doesn't filter enough of the smaller stuff like clutch dust. That's why I installed a remote auxiliary spin-on filter. I did this when I installed a larger trans fluid cooler and I have it routed to where the fluid passes through the remote filter before it goes into the cooler. That way if the trans ever decides to grenade itself, the filter will trap any particles from the failure and I won't have to replace a contaminated cooler as well.

The way I service the trans is similar to the bucket method. I have a drain plug on my trans pan so this is easy. I just drain the pan and fill it with new fluid. Disconnect the return line after the filter and cooler. Put the line in a gallon jug and start the engine. When the jug gets about 2-3 quarts in it I dump 2-3 quarts of new fluid down the dipstick tube. I continue to do this until I've gone through about a case of trans fluid. Then I reconnect the return line and I'm done. I don't even change the pan filter.

ULTIMATE ORANGE SS

Established Member
i had mine flushed once. its been ok.

ive broke my trans a few times since then so my fluid hasnt had a chance to get old. :D

Users who are viewing this thread