AWD 03-04 Cobra

would you buy an AWD kit for your 03-04 if it was affordable?

• yes

Votes: 47 38.2%
  • no

Votes: 76 61.8%

• Total voters

loose nut

Sofa King Fast
Established Member
no way...don't need the added weight, added parasitic losses, added handling imbalance (front to rear wt distribution), added cost, added un-reliability....ad naseum. :bash:

...otherwise I have no opinion on this.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Weight weight weight. If this car came with AWD it would probably weigh more than my Dakota Club Cab (which weighs alittle over 4100lbs)

The weight distribution is already 57/43. I couldnt imagine how cockeyed it would be once you have assembled a working front end drive train. Then again maybe the AWD would correct that unpreportional weight dist. But your still left with the fact you have a 4000lbs+ car that might be lucky to break a Quarter mile as quick as a Mustang GT even with its under-rated 390hp... Oh yes, lets not forget to remember that you lose between 20 to 25% of your power with an AWD setup.

Bottom line is, AWD is best left to Porsche's, Lambo's, and economy car manufacture'ers.

Now if this hypothetical AWD kit could some how work without adding any additional weight, I might think about it. :D

Last edited:

stang2supra

Established Member
If you want AWD that bad, why don't you just buy an AWD car and spend more money per HP to match an 03 Cobra? It would be MUCH easier in the long run.

As for the question, it would not be possible for a reasonable amount of money no matter what anyone told you. However, if this question was just a theoretical one to see if anyone prefers AWD over RWD, I'd say NO. Here's why.

1. Weight. Our cars are heavy enough as it is. If we had AWD as well, we'd weigh in way north of 4000 after you add gas/driver/etc. That alone would basically get rid of any handling benefit added with the extra traction, given you have a competent driver. I don't care what you do, you can't make up for weight. Laws of physics will tell you that.

2. Reliability. AWD systems won't take the abuse of a 5k rpm launch with 600rwtq+ on tap for the upgraded blower guys. I've seen countless AWD guys break parts at the track with half that power. A built 8.8 would launch better AND be more reliable while being lighter.

3. Powerloss. No one goes around bragging how much flywheel horsepower their cars put out. At the monstrous power levels our cars are capable of reaching, there would be a big powerloss through the drivetrain. 2 cars with the same mods, one being AWD and one being RWD.. the RWD would win everytime from a roll, even if you somehow got the AWD car down to the same weight.

4. Fun. I really don't think I have to explain this one. Drifts, Burnouts, Donuts, Slides, Loosing the rear in 3rd gear.. :rockon:

So basically what I'm trying to say is "NO"

John

69gt4speed

Svt God of All
Established Member
No awd for me, give me alum. hood, fenders, a chrome moly crossmember, lighter bumper assembly, stock looks. Better launch, easier on parts.

JKD COBRA

The 6th Deadly Venom
Established Member
AWD is great for launching, but what your forgetting is that it takes more power to push all four wheels. So once you get out of 2nd gear and you aren't losing traction anymore, your going to be slower because your car has to keep putting power to all four wheels.

Excpet for the skyline, from what I have read, their AWD system is so advanced it automatically converts back to RWD once they aren't losing traction.

And have fun finding a dyno that can do all four wheels at the same time.

SVTHorsnake

Banned
AWD cars are cool, but this has been RWD muscle since the day of conception... and you can't just buy an AWD "kit":dw:

svtxchinoy

Established Member
Have to agree with most guys, if I want an AWD car, Id go and buy an STi or Evo. AWD cars are great, but, I bought a Mustang for an RWD drivetrain. Mustang and AWD just doesnt sound right together.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
I would have absolutly never have bought this car if it was AWD. I would never spend money to make it AWD. If you want awd buy an sti. Big smokey burnouts are a good time and I can still rip 1.9x 60' on stock F-1's with 32psi, which is fine by me.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by KevinJKD
AWD is great for launching, but what your forgetting is that it takes more power to push all four wheels. So once you get out of 2nd gear and you aren't losing traction anymore, your going to be slower because your car has to keep putting power to all four wheels.

Excpet for the skyline, from what I have read, their AWD system is so advanced it automatically converts back to RWD once they aren't losing traction.

And have fun finding a dyno that can do all four wheels at the same time.

Even if the Cobra came with an AWD system comperable to that of the Skyline, we'd have to deal with an even greater unpreportional weight distribution imbalance than what the car already has. AWD, atleast in the 03/04 Cobra's case, brings more problem's than advantages.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Well, if you said AWD AC Cobra, then that would be a different story. :rockon:

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
Originally posted by Brucealeg
I keep hearing burnouts mentioned. I thought that was very bad on the half shafts??

Bruce

Everything is bad on the halfshafts. In my opinion, aside from the TOB sleeve, these have to be the weakest links on the car. I've already had 2 replaced and I don't even do burnouts. :nonono:

Juiced46

I love being Blown
Established Member
I didnt even bother reading the rest of the post. But AWD would be completely pointless. You may hook better, but you would go slower. One its to much weight. Why not just spend the money on a nice rear suspension and lighten the car. It would be cheaper and lighter. And i dunno. There is something about being able to put my car sideways @60mph that i like :)

cydewaze

the bat!!!
Established Member
I'd have to pass on the AWD, but what I would consider is something that converted to a transaxle, to get the weight of the transmission from the front to the back. I think the new Vettes have close to 50/50 weight distro with a transaxle. Granted, their engines sit much farther back in the car, but moving the trans back would still help the Cobra a bit.

03CobraBro

Established Member
Originally posted by PlatinumCobra
Everything is bad on the halfshafts. In my opinion, aside from the TOB sleeve, these have to be the weakest links on the car. I've already had 2 replaced and I don't even do burnouts. :nonono:

Speaking of half shafts and burnouts and what not... What of these hard launch kits I here about for Independant Rear Suspensions... Do they work?

Users who are viewing this thread