AWD Mustang

Would you be interested in an AWD Mustang?

• Yeah, I might be.

Votes: 208 39.6%
  • Hell no, It's all about RWD.

Votes: 318 60.6%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
I am curious to see how many of you (if any) would be interested in an AWD mustang. This includes a system like the one used in the new G35 sedan which allows the driver to use RWD but turn AWD on and off according to driving conditions. Of course the option would also be available to the cobra as well. I know I would, but then again you probably know that already.

Last edited:

EvoOwner

Now with even MORE ownage
Established Member
Originally posted by Abad46
it would break with real power.

Would it though? The Skyline GT-R can put out some real power (1000hp not unheard of) w/o breaking its AWD. That car is basically a RWD configuration that electronically engages the front wheels when the rear tires are slipping. And lets not forget the 911T and Lamborghini Diablo.

Last edited:

esqeddy

VENUMUS
Established Member
Could you imagine the 60' times the 03 Cobra would get with AWD? I don't see how it would hurt performance.

PowerWheels

Anti-Bullshit
Established Member
To me it's not all about performance, I say no to the AWD on a Mustang even if the performance could be better.

A varible transmission could be a boost to performance, but I like the stick, and always will. I would hate a totally varible transmission on anything. I'm sure the true quarter mile runners would substantially benifit from this type transmission if it's ever perfected without too much loss. But I don't want anything to do with that crap.

There is just something about RWD and Manual transmissions I like. Don't change it, just make it better / get rid of the clunk.

A Harley could be made to be smooth and aerodynamic, but thats not the point.

If your going to spend money on AWD, save it and put it towards less weight, and less wheel hop.

Last edited:

satx

Banned
I say yes to AWD and throw in a F1 gearbox with the paddle shifters for good measure!

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
NO. The mustang (for 39 2/3 years) has been RWD. If Ford customers want a AWD car, Ford should look to another platform.

I am not sure they could build an affordable AWD drivetrain that could handle the 450hp of the new Cobra. (Sorry EvoOwner, but the 911T and Diablo are a little expensive and I have never seen a Skyline GT-R).

SVTHorsnake

Banned
if ford's going to put out a car that's and AWD V-8, then don't call it a mustang. Mustangs are RWD and have been for 35 years. An AWD V-8 is fine by me but it's not a mustang:nonono:

MusclePower1

Established Member
a V8 mustang is a fun-to-drive sports/muscle car...that's all it has been and all it should be...if u want AWD, get a Subaru WRX (STi) or an Audi S4:nono:

billg

Hurting Performance

The way it (all-wheel drive) would hurt performance is by adding weight. The current Mustang Cobra weighs 3660 pounds, hardly a lightweight. An all-wheel drive version would probably weigh over 4,200 pounds. You would need 60 more horsepower just to have the same performance as the present version. And stick-shift all-wheel drive cars are notoriously hard on clutches since it is significantly more difficult to break the tires loose on launch.

Bill G.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Re: Hurting Performance

Originally posted by billg
The way it (all-wheel drive) would hurt performance is by adding weight. The current Mustang Cobra weighs 3660 pounds, hardly a lightweight. An all-wheel drive version would probably weigh over 4,200 pounds. You would need 60 more horsepower just to have the same performance as the present version. And stick-shift all-wheel drive cars are notoriously hard on clutches since it is significantly more difficult to break the tires loose on launch.

Bill G.

Bill,
Very good points. Also, wouldn't the AWD front suspension negatively effect the handling by increasing unsprung weight? Who would want low profile Z-rated tires on a 395hp AWD Cobra?

Evil SS

Established Member
The upcoming 5th gen Camaro and the US built 2007/8GTO are built on a chasis that has AWD as a option. There is a good chance that one of the two might get awd as a option.

Any Cobra owner in this thread who says no to AWD and uses their Cobra for a year round driver is either dumb or has some serious issues...

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
Originally posted by Euphoric One
Any Cobra owner in this thread who says no to AWD and uses their Cobra for a year round driver is either dumb or has some serious issues...

But what if we live in the southern states/ AR/ CA/NM where we never see snow? In the rare time it may snow, no one goes to work anyway. I don't even drive mine when it rains.

Evil SS--I didn't know they had announced a new Camaro. You know of a link for info?

SVT Cobra

Established Member
AWD adds more weight, and has more drivetrain loss to the wheels. no thanks, i like rear-wheel burnouts also.:burnout:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread