Axle-Back or Cat-Back for 2010 GT500?

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Im getting a 2010 GT500 soon, this model year is new to me as far as exhaust goes. Most options for aftermarket exhaust for this model year are for Axle-Back systems. Does this mean that after the pipe bend over the axle you run stock pipes to the mid-pipe? Does that cause any flow issues? If you run an aftermarket mid pipe are you going from aftermarket mufflers to a stock pipe to a aftermarket mid-pipe?

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member
Im getting a 2010 GT500 soon, this model year is new to me as far as exhaust goes. Most options for aftermarket exhaust for this model year are for Axle-Back systems. Does this mean that after the pipe bend over the axle you run stock pipes to the mid-pipe? Does that cause any flow issues? If you run an aftermarket mid pipe are you going from aftermarket mufflers to a stock pipe to a aftermarket mid-pipe?

Most options for aftermarket exhaust for this model year are for Axle-Back systems. Does this mean that after the pipe bend over the axle you run stock pipes to the mid-pipe?

- Yes

Does that cause any flow issues?

- No, it should not.

If you run an aftermarket mid pipe are you going from aftermarket mufflers to a stock pipe to a aftermarket mid-pipe?

- You probably cannot buy a mid pipe without an aftermarket cat back. I do not believe the mid pipes include the section that goes over the axle.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
just get an axle back, its a waste of money to buy a catback unless your going to a 3in. since almost all aftermarket catbacks are 2.5in pipe which is the same as stock

Superfly99

Stang Freak
Established Member
Don't waste your money on an axleback....get a high flow catted X-pipe. You won't believe the sound the '10 STOCK mufflers put out with High flow Cats. I am running Magnaflow X-pipe with high flow cats and STOCK '10 mufflers. NO DRONE, great sound on start-up, aggressive idle, screams at WOT. Remember, Ford changed the design for the '10. More aggressive sound, free flow design, bigger tips than '07-'09.

SicShelby09

Banned
magnaflow muffler deletes, or keep stock mufflers and get a lethal offroad X. Those stock mufflers are money already. Add an offroad X and they are just vicious.

2Sharpie

Established Member
magnaflow muffler deletes, or keep stock mufflers and get a lethal offroad X. Those stock mufflers are money already. Add an offroad X and they are just vicious.

+1 on the muffler deletes. I put the Roush O/R exhaust (deletes) on mine.....wouldn't have it any other way. A few others here have done the same Roush......we have clips/links here and on Youtube.

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member
Great replies and feedback all. One last question. The guys running Aftermarket mid-pipes and cats, which I have done on my Terminator and Mach, are there any worries of blowing the factory warranty when bringing the car in for anything warranty related? Or do you just switch it back to stock?

Last edited:

2Sharpie

Established Member
Great replies and feedback all. One last question. The guys running Aftermarket mid-pipes and cats, which I have done on my Terminator and Mach, are there any worries of blowing the factory warranty when bringing the car in for anything warranty related? Or do you just switch it back to stock?

I would say no.........and my dealer did the install for everything. For example, the Roush came with all new mid-pipes - smoother bends, freer flowing -a pretty easy swap out. So unless the exhaust damaged your vehicle (which I don't see how it can), no warranty issue. Just make sure you have a good relationship with the dealership as far as mods go.........or find one that is mod-friendly.

2007ShelbyCobra

Established Member

Depends on the dealer, I know some say once there is ANY mod they wont cover shit.

1 bad bullitt

Do'in it in the dirt
Established Member
Vandenberg Air Force Base, California, United Stat

My 2010 with the stock axlebacks and O/R X

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LnxqeGTb7mM"]YouTube- Lethal OR X-pipe Fly By.wmv[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEy0KzzPX_s&feature=related"]YouTube- Lethal O/R X-pipe 2010 Shelby GT500[/nomedia]

My 2010 With the O/R X and Corsa Sport Axlebacks
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bO4aHkM3us8&feature=related"]YouTube- Corsa Axlebacks Lethal O/R X-pipe Flye Bye Video of myGT500[/nomedia]
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfux_UtndC4"]YouTube- Corsa Axlebacks Lethal O/R X-pipe 2010 GT500[/nomedia]

SoCalCobra311

Team 5.0
Established Member

Wow im sold on the first video, with the Lethal OR Pipe. I think I will use cats though to keep the noise down enough. In California its illegal to run no cats and that may be too loud and draw attention. Iv had hi-flow cats on my 2 previous mustangs and have been fine. Thanks for the links.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread