Axle Tubes Welded!

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Yeah, I have seen one too many twist the axle tubes on these newer cars and figured it was an easy fix. It also gives me a chance to clean up the rusty axle housing. :kaboom:

11Sec_Lx

Established Member
Looks nice. The garage looks eerilly familiar. :D

What rotors are you running? Thanks...

Last edited:

Stormtrooper5.0

Established Member
^^This

Anyone know a good shop in the Houston Area?

I called strictly several months ago about it and they said they'd get back to me about it. But they never did. Fastlane charges out the ass for everything so I didn't even ask them. I thought about asking Dilusi or Chris' Car Doc but I haven't yet. I don't know any welders or shops that really do stuff like that.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Looks nice. The garage looks eerilly familiar. :D

What rotors are you running? Thanks...
Which garage? Mine or the welder? The rotors I got off Ebay. Nothing fancy.

Looks excellent, Kevin!

I wish min wasn't a DD and I could do this. :(
You can have it done the same day if you set something up. It can easily be done over a weekend. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you his number.

Did disassembly anything when u weld the tubes?
I just drained all the fluid out.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
Which garage? Mine or the welder? The rotors I got off Ebay. Nothing fancy.

You can have it done the same day if you set something up. It can easily be done over a weekend. Let me know if you are interested and I can get you his number.

I just drained all the fluid out.
Well I do want to put some Amsoil gear fluid in the rear end, so that would be an opportuned time to have this done, but it's not like I will ever be at the power level to cause them to twist.

Go ahead and shoot me his number on facebook if you don't mind. :beer:

BMR Tech

Very cool sir! He did a great job.

I always recommend this to my customers. I get WAY too many calls about twisted tubes.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
And... does it piss anyone else off that Ford cant slap a quick coat of paint on the rear axle? Every Mustang I've seen has a rusty axle. Mine was completely rusted brand new off the dealer's lot. :shrug:

End of rant.....

The type of metal used is designed to rust/patina. I believe its called CORTEN steel? Why they use it, not sure cuz it doesn't look good. Must be cheaper then painting

Last edited:

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
The type of metal used is designed to rust/patina. I believe its called CORTEN steel? Why they use it, not sure cuz it doesn't look good. Must be cheaper then painting
It's a type of weathering steel that will build up a layer of oxidized metal to help inhibit further rust in harsh environments.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Yeah. Anything that will cause an fast acting torsional strain on the axle tubes, which is generally launching the car.
I have even heard about this happening on the street with drag radials. I'm sure Kelly has as well!

I figured better safe than sorry!

Users who are viewing this thread