Axle Tubes Welded!

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
I have even heard about this happening on the street with drag radials. I'm sure Kelly has as well!

I figured better safe than sorry!
Yeah, it likely won't ever happen on the street unless you are trying to imitate Murder Nova and pull the wheels off the ground with the help of some VHT. lol

CameronVic

Established Member
It happens a lot more in stick shift cars (tubes twisting), because that shocks the drivetrain a lot more. I've gone 1.52 in a 3900lb car (auto) without the tubes welded. It's definitely on my list of things I'd like to do though, LOL.

BMR Tech

Yeah, it likely won't ever happen on the street unless you are trying to imitate Murder Nova and pull the wheels off the ground with the help of some VHT. lol

It happens on tune only cars, with stock tires, on the street. :rolling:

c. love

Established Member
My game is one of slip more than of grip usually so i wont worry about it too much. Some hot summer day I may just pull the axle and do this seems like an easy thing to do.

outlawcrew

Established Member
I called strictly several months ago about it and they said they'd get back to me about it. But they never did. Fastlane charges out the ass for everything so I didn't even ask them. I thought about asking Dilusi or Chris' Car Doc but I haven't yet. I don't know any welders or shops that really do stuff like that.

^^This

Anyone know a good shop in the Houston Area?

Pyle Bros is Baytown did mine, I pulled the rear end like the OP did. Stubbs racing in Pasadena is another great option.

Matt

TexasStang4585

Snake eater
Established Member
Pyle Bros is Baytown did mine, I pulled the rear end like the OP did. Stubbs racing in Pasadena is another great option.

Matt

Cool thanks, I talk to one of my buddies and my mentioned Pyle bros but a little on the high side of quote's is what he told me. What did you have them to your rear end besides welding the axle tubes.

06colorado

Established Member
Why temperature pre heat did y'all bring it up to? Did y'all spot weld a couple spots then weld out? Looks like a fat bead, more than one pass? I plan to pull mine and weld it up into next couple weeks.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
OP, your car looks killer.

Matt
Thanks. :beer:

See below.
It happens on tune only cars, with stock tires, on the street. :rolling:
Yep.

Well done as always, Kevin.
Thanks Steve. :beer:

Looks good, love the new car by the way. I can't wait to see the rear painted.
Thanks Jeff. :beer:

Why temperature pre heat did y'all bring it up to? Did y'all spot weld a couple spots then weld out? Looks like a fat bead, more than one pass? I plan to pull mine and weld it up into next couple weeks.
I don't recall the exact temp, but I think it was hotter than 350* or so. He did spot weld a couple spots first and did 3 full passes on each side.

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Sorry for the crappy cel phone pic. I got the axle cleaned up with a few wire brushes on my drill. Ready for prime and then paint.

11680108206_6e51dcffc6_o.jpg

Also got the supplies while I was out today.

11680108526_4cfe8c5759_o.jpg

Will try and get it painted tomorrow and get some better shots with my good camera.

Users who are viewing this thread