B-Day night drive home ..... Smoked a GT

Bad-SV

Originally posted by 00JSVT
SHOs will take anything in the higher speeds, always nice to know the faster you go the more power you have in a SHO.

is that true now? i havent brought the ol' SV up to speed yet, but judging by the the speed in 4th gear, i'd say a easy 180 is possible. :p

RickieFrat

Established Member
Originally posted by Booyah

Last time I checked anything that isn't higher than a high 4.X gear still has a gear limited speed close to 200 MPH. And with 4.6 Mustangs in particularly, going with a 4.10 gear or higher will actually help them go faster on the top end because of the torque factor being increased to overcome drag.

I must be wrong about gears then. I always thought that if you was to modd a car (Stang) and add will say 3:55 gears. It would be a great high way car because you'll never run out of gear in the top end. Thus one of the reasons why they place them in police packages.

If this is so, why isn't there 4.x gears in police cars ???

IMHO i can't see a 4.x geared car getting up to 200 mph with out the engine turning high RPMs. Am i wrong ?? Yes it will launch off the line like fire but it has to end sometime when gears runs out.

My example: 8.8 rear with Strange 33 spline axles and 4.10 gears doing we'll say 140 at around 5000 RPM. Bolted up to a MotorSport SVO T-5 and a GT-40 block able to turn 6200 RPM. With a 12 sec flat 1/4 mile time. No NOS.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by Bad-SV

is that true now? i havent brought the ol' SV up to speed yet, but judging by the the speed in 4th gear, i'd say a easy 180 is possible. :p

dude, an SV has a top speed of 208MPH.:burn:

Heavyevy

Established Member
How about keepin up with an Impala SS?

What's up guys, I'm new here. Been reading your stories for sometime and decided to join in.:coolman:

Booyah

Cantankerously Blunt
Established Member
Originally posted by RickieFrat

I must be wrong about gears then. I always thought that if you was to modd a car (Stang) and add will say 3:55 gears. It would be a great high way car because you'll never run out of gear in the top end. Thus one of the reasons why they place them in police packages.

If this is so, why isn't there 4.x gears in police cars ???

IMHO i can't see a 4.x geared car getting up to 200 mph with out the engine turning high RPMs. Am i wrong ?? Yes it will launch off the line like fire but it has to end sometime when gears runs out.

My example: 8.8 rear with Strange 33 spline axles and 4.10 gears doing we'll say 140 at around 5000 RPM. Bolted up to a MotorSport SVO T-5 and a GT-40 block able to turn 6200 RPM. With a 12 sec flat 1/4 mile time. No NOS.

I think you miss understood what I was saying. Yes, a higher gear will drop your gear limited speed. What I meant by it helping pull to a higher top speed was against wind resistance.

FordSVTFan

Oh, the humanity of it all.
Established Member
Originally posted by Heavyevy
How about keepin up with an Impala SS?

What's up guys, I'm new here. Been reading your stories for sometime and decided to join in.:coolman:

welcome and enjoy.

quick01snake

Your View
Established Member
Originally posted by RickieFrat
God .... How did I know it would come to this ???

You guys are posting 1/4 times right ??? Of course your gonna bury me in the sand. My car is tops a mid to low 15 sec 1/4 mile burner. But on the high way I could somewhat hang. Everybody knows that if you change to a lower gear (i.e. 4:10s) you lose top speed. Thus giving you a better launch off the line. but on the highway your top speed is decreased due to the gears. I can't change my gears. (Grrrrrr)

I'm talking about high way racing. There is no stop ... line up .. and go. Its just go. But if your car has a top speed of we'll say 130 with all mods .... Sooner or later i'll pass you with a top speed of 145 mph. That is if Grandpa doesn't decied to switch lanes to pass Grandma.

Right ?????:-? Flame away ........ :burn: :D

I know this discussion is a little old but i thought i might comment

I've had both v6 and v8 SHO's try me from 60-80 mph, and neither one could touch me. that's my experience.
and yes, with the 4.10's i had in my 99 cobra, 160 was DEFINITELY possible <wink wink>

GR8WHITE

The BIG FISH
Established Member
With 4:10's on his 98 Cobra, John Buscemia(Sp) went 181 at the Silver State Classic. Granted his car was supercharged with only gears an offroad pipe, and chip to remove rev & speed limiters. However, this proves that the gear does help the mod motor in 5th. Since that gear is for fuel economy, the lower final drive helps make 5th useful. Also to compare a GT-40 crate motor that turns 6200 to a 4.6 DOHC that turns 7200 isn't a fair comparison. They are two different motors, and the DOHC makes good power all the way up to 6800. Not bashing the 302, just pointing out the difference.

PS. My 13.62 is with a completely stock car except for a BB&K cold air pickup. No gears, drag radials, or power adders were used.

Users who are viewing this thread