Back from bootcamp

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Whats SOI like? anything i need to know that might give me an edge over everyone else?

Even though you are still definitely a boot, you're a Marine, so act like one. If you have an issue or question or anything then bring it up to your instructors. They'll be tough on you, but more reasonable than bootcamp.

*disclaimer* I went through MCT instead of SOI b/c I was a POG....

Stay motivated!

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Haha, yes. That EGA changes a few things. Good luck, don't be a nasty shit bird !

Being a nasty shit bird is what makes them Marines! Only nasty shit birds can do some of the shit the have to do. It's the nasty arrogant asshole shit birds that are to be avoided.

Grats man! Marine boot is something I wouldn't even want to try

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Even though you are still definitely a boot, you're a Marine, so act like one. If you have an issue or question or anything then bring it up to your instructors. They'll be tough on you, but more reasonable than bootcamp.

*disclaimer* I went through MCT instead of SOI b/c I was a POG....

Stay motivated!

I wouldn't recommend that, not at ITB. You should only go to your instructors if it's a serious issue, like you're feeling suicidal or someone else is in bad shape. Otherwise, just keep your mouth shut or ask your squad leader and if he can't answer it then he'll ask the guide and the guide will pass it up if need be. Ask the instructors questions when they ask for questions. You'll get heat for just about any little thing you say but that's just how it is, just learn to let the criticism roll of your back and laugh about it.

The instructors at ITB are real combat instructors meaning they've seen some shit! You're going to see these guys who aren't big and jacked like your drill instructors, but are just as ruthless and usually straight up crazy. No offense to drill instructors as they have a highly sought after and prestigious job within the Corps, but once you spend time with some guys who have done multiple combat tours you're going to realize that a lot of your drill instructors were full of crap and tried to make themselves out to be something they weren't.

Last edited:

F1reStart3r

Flubolaids
Established Member
For the longer hikes make sure you stretch good and have plenty of little snack that will boost your energy on the breaks.

Don't stress out based off what I'm telling you because just about everything that made my experience miserable was the fact that it was Charlie Company. I'm sure there's a few guys on here that went through Charlie as well and can attest to the experience. Most other companies aren't bad at all.

A. He is spot on. Make sure you throw some power bars in your grenade pouch or something. I usually ate half of one at each break and I had plenty of energy by the time the hump was done.

When I went through (Alpha), "Bootcamp Bravo" was the problem and the bulk of their instructors and their CO were relieved and replaced.

The instructors at ITB are real combat instructors meaning they've seen some shit! You're going to see these guys who aren't big and jacked like your drill instructors, but are just as ruthless and usually straight up crazy. No offense to drill instructors as they have a highly sought after and prestigious job within the Corps, but once you spend time with some guys who have done multiple combat tours you're going to realize that a lot of your drill instructors were full of crap and tried to make themselves out to be something they weren't.

Also this. Your CI's know their shit so listen to them. Ours were ****ing nuts but once you hit the fleet, do a pump etc you'll know why.

DO NOT expect tons of libbo just because you are a Marine now. Even in ITB they will keep a relatively tight leash on you because they need a low turnover rate. You may get off base libbo every other weekend and on base libbo the weekends you don't get off base. Don't bitch about it. Just suck it up and enjoy being able to what you want.

ACTUALLY STUDY for your exams. They aren't hard, but all that shit winds up in your BIR so the better you do, the better you look later. Don't sit around and tell stories about how shitty BC was and how your DI's beat you. When I was in forming one Marine inadvertently launched an investigation on his old BC DI's when he was talking about "getting beat" and the Staff Duty over heard him.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Relax you'll do fine.

Jon where the hell are some more pics man? You are holdin out on me.

Haha, I honestly haven't gotten any as of recent. She had some medical issues that put her in the hospital so I haven't gotten to really talk to her in a while. I swear I will share if I get some more eventually. :beer:

Dragu1a

Established Member
hey Devil, i saw this is from december so you're probably done with soi by now...i was a 0311 and went through delta company...****ing sucked(soi, not the fleet. fleet as an 03 is the best). plus we got stuck in camp guard for about a month before we even got sent to a training company. let us know how it went, whether you're an 11 or weapons and what unit you're going to.

and don't do anything bootish and get married over a 96 or some shit....and don't buy a car ANYWHERE NEAR a base. they see tanlined hi and tights a mile away. feel free to pm any "dumb" questions you're afraid to ask others.

Gringo185

2nd Civ Div
Established Member
Haha, congrats. But trust me, you're going to look back on this thread in about 2-3 years and shake your head.

ragingclue

Semper Gumby
Established Member
Congratulations. Probably a little late, but ticks were the biggest annoyance in that area (SOI/MCT)

PISC. Damn I miss that place.

Sent from my T8788 using Board Express

Users who are viewing this thread