Back Packing Another Country/ Continent?

TorchMach

Established Member
Hey fellas,

I've always had this itch to go back pack a different country for two weeks or so, no schedule just a flight scheduled there and back.. I find Scotland fascinating, Netherlands, and Ireland (other countries in the future). For a mixture of reasons, their natural beauty, their culture, woman (insert Rose Leslie) etc..

With my youngest sister (29) being diagnosed with cancer and my father just beating it this year, really just puts life into perspective. I've been working these last few years and feel as if I have yet to experience the outside world. From these unfortunate health problems my family is having, it really gave me a kick in the ass to get out there and do what I have always wanted to do. I have a great career that allows me to take these type of trips so it would just be up to me to schedule it. (I'm 26, no kids, live on my own)

My question is, have any of you back packed another country(s) by yourself? I would take this trip alone, but I talk a lot and think of myself easy to get along with so I am sure I'll meet people along the way out there but tell me your experiences?

Just kind of curious to see if any of you have done it, how it went? What would you have done differently?

Thanks everyone, (excuse for how hard it was to read this, I am in bed lol)
Ruben

oldmodman

Established Member
I think that America is one of the few countries where you DON'T see a lot of backackera all over the place.

With all the great train and bus transportation in Europe and every tine village having several youth hostels with different levels of luxury it is a great way to see the world if you are young (or just young at heart) and fit.

And you won't find a cheaper way to see the world.

Just stay out of areas where Americans are hated and where their is a lot of political strife.

TorchMach

Established Member
I think that America is one of the few countries where you DON'T see a lot of backackera all over the place.

With all the great train and bus transportation in Europe and every tine village having several youth hostels with different levels of luxury it is a great way to see the world if you are young (or just young at heart) and fit.

Just stay out of areas where Americans are hated and where their is a lot of political strife.

Yeah that's true, I never noticed we don't have people back-packing here.

Those hostels seem like the perfect thing for someone traveling solo as well, that way you have other people to chat with and the price of course is much more affordable.

Have you done anything like that yourself?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator

Don't think I'd go anywhere in the Middle East right now.

Blown 89

Established Member
Traveling like this will give you a different take on the world.
It certainly will.

I've never done the backpacking route but I've spent quite a bit of time overseas. Hostels in France were awesome and we met a lot of cool people there. There are also airbnb type sites of people renting out their places to travelers. It's a great option because you'll get a local's view of where you are.

As far as not going with anyone....I'd take a travel companion. The language barrier is tough sometimes, although google translate is the best thing ever while traveling, so you'll want someone to experience it with. If you do activities like Pamplona during the running of the bulls there are a metric ton of Aussies that backpack through Europe at that time which makes hooking up with groups and communicating easier. Keep that language barrier in mind if you plan on getting by on your lonesome and making friends there. Some people are better at it than others.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
The language barrier was almost zero in my opinion. English IS the universal language. I walked into my hostel room in Italy to witness a Korean girl and a Brazilian girl talking about their day in broken English.

DKS2814V

Moderately Modified
Established Member
Didn't go solo...but, have traveled Europe (Italy, Czech, Germany, Belgium, France, Scotland, Netherlands) as well as SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia).

Depends on what you're looking for. Just to get out there and have a "loose" vacation and see cool beaches, islands, jungles, and experience whatever comes your way? I'd recommend SE Asia. If you're interested in history, politics and religion, I'd recommend Europe. LOTS of history wherever you go, and it's fascinating.

My favorite was SE Asia. I landed in Hong Kong, and knew that in 3 weeks I had to be in Singapore.....with no idea or any clue how I was going to get there. Got to experience quite a bit just talking to folks and going off recommendations of folks in bars, etc.

Ask away if you have questions. I wouldn't have done either of the trips differently. At times it was borderline crazy for some of the things we did, but also not completely running ragged trying to accomplish too much at at time.

Felix C

Established Member
I did Western Europe the summer fresh out of HS. Eurorail Student pass, Hostels, cheap eating. It was fun. Stayed out almost three months.

nxhappy

Established Member
Hey fellas,

I've always had this itch to go back pack a different country for two weeks or so, no schedule just a flight scheduled there and back.. I find Scotland fascinating, Netherlands, and Ireland (other countries in the future). For a mixture of reasons, their natural beauty, their culture, woman (insert Rose Leslie) etc..

With my youngest sister (29) being diagnosed with cancer and my father just beating it this year, really just puts life into perspective. I've been working these last few years and feel as if I have yet to experience the outside world. From these unfortunate health problems my family is having, it really gave me a kick in the ass to get out there and do what I have always wanted to do. I have a great career that allows me to take these type of trips so it would just be up to me to schedule it. (I'm 26, no kids, live on my own)

My question is, have any of you back packed another country(s) by yourself? I would take this trip alone, but I talk a lot and think of myself easy to get along with so I am sure I'll meet people along the way out there but tell me your experiences?

Just kind of curious to see if any of you have done it, how it went? What would you have done differently?

Thanks everyone, (excuse for how hard it was to read this, I am in bed lol)
Ruben

you are 4-5 hours from Yosemite. A back pack trip would be AWESOME. People from Europe go to Yosemite for a reason.

TorchMach

Established Member
Didn't go solo...but, have traveled Europe (Italy, Czech, Germany, Belgium, France, Scotland, Netherlands) as well as SE Asia (Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia).

Depends on what you're looking for. Just to get out there and have a "loose" vacation and see cool beaches, islands, jungles, and experience whatever comes your way? I'd recommend SE Asia. If you're interested in history, politics and religion, I'd recommend Europe. LOTS of history wherever you go, and it's fascinating.

My favorite was SE Asia. I landed in Hong Kong, and knew that in 3 weeks I had to be in Singapore.....with no idea or any clue how I was going to get there. Got to experience quite a bit just talking to folks and going off recommendations of folks in bars, etc.

Ask away if you have questions. I wouldn't have done either of the trips differently. At times it was borderline crazy for some of the things we did, but also not completely running ragged trying to accomplish too much at at time.

That's awesome, that's pretty much what I had in mind, just wanted to start in Western Europe. I want to know that I have to be at a certain Airport in two weeks or so and that's it.lol

I want to do the same, just ask as I go, and stay in hostels now that I have read more about them.

you are 4-5 hours from Yosemite. A back pack trip would be AWESOME. People from Europe go to Yosemite for a reason.

Yes sir, me and a few friends did that earlier this year, we parked and just walked away for 4 days (2 days out and 2 days back) it has been the best trip we ever did, except for sleeping with snacks near us, not so smart.lol if you ever go, it really is bear country no doubt, we learned our lesson by being woken up at 2 in the morning of a bear near us, we shouted at it and it ran off, but I almost shit myself none the less..

Kevins89notch

Established Member
I'm defintely going to check this out. 63 day trip is pretty extreme! idk if I could ever just travel for such a long time.

I have a lot more info on all my stops and could honestly talk for hours about my trip. If you have any questions, just ask.

It didn't seem that long really. Almost any day was 2-3 days away from a bucket list type day. I was at the top of the Eiffel Tower, knowing that just a few days prior I was looking up at Elizabeth Tower which houses Big Ben, yet in a few more days I would be walking alongside the Berlin Wall. You learn to enjoy each moment as it comes.

Last edited:

Mentos

Earn this
Established Member
I'd love to take a month off to do this. Primarily across Europe. What kind of cost are we talking? Especially if staying at hostels and trying to eat on the cheap.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member

That SE Asia trip sounds fantastic! I will live vicariously through the OP if he does this trip.

Equalbracket

Established Member
Plenty of foreigners backpack in the US. I suggest going to the UK. Brits are awesome. I spent the summer as a guide in the Grand Canyon and had quite a few passengers that were trekking solo in the US on their super long holiday. They don't tip tho.

nxhappy

Established Member
That's awesome, that's pretty much what I had in mind, just wanted to start in Western Europe. I want to know that I have to be at a certain Airport in two weeks or so and that's it.lol

I want to do the same, just ask as I go, and stay in hostels now that I have read more about them.

Yes sir, me and a few friends did that earlier this year, we parked and just walked away for 4 days (2 days out and 2 days back) it has been the best trip we ever did, except for sleeping with snacks near us, not so smart.lol if you ever go, it really is bear country no doubt, we learned our lesson by being woken up at 2 in the morning of a bear near us, we shouted at it and it ran off, but I almost shit myself none the less..

ya....always a good idea to take a gun with you in the wilderness....lol

I live just 1 hour away and I haven't been in a long time :(

Users who are viewing this thread