Back where I started

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
After a long hiatus from Shelby ownership I recently pulled the trigger on an unmolested White/Vista ’08 with 1,350 orig. miles. I’ve been through an ’07, ’12 and a ’14 in the last decade, yet find myself drawn most to the S197 look and overall feel. Yes, the ’14 was the most refined, and the ’12 was a big step forward from the 07-09 genre, but there is something subtly visceral and raw in the S197 iteration that I’m drawn to. My ’07 with pulley, CAI, Tune and 4.10’s was the most exciting to drive for some reason, even though my ’12 had the same exact mods. My ’14 with PP was the Least fun (believe it or not). Has anyone else found themselves’ back in the seat of an 07-09 after experiencing newer models?

Mpoitrast87

Established Member
Not a GT500. but i had a 2011 brembo pack 5.0 that i sold for my 03 cobra. Same reason. 2011 was to refined and didnt give me any excitement. If i sell my cobra ill probably get a built sn95. something about the older cars is appealing.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
After a long hiatus from Shelby ownership I recently pulled the trigger on an unmolested White/Vista ’08 with 1,350 orig. miles. I’ve been through an ’07, ’12 and a ’14 in the last decade, yet find myself drawn most to the S197 look and overall feel. Yes, the ’14 was the most refined, and the ’12 was a big step forward from the 07-09 genre, but there is something subtly visceral and raw in the S197 iteration that I’m drawn to. My ’07 with pulley, CAI, Tune and 4.10’s was the most exciting to drive for some reason, even though my ’12 had the same exact mods. My ’14 with PP was the Least fun (believe it or not). Has anyone else found themselves’ back in the seat of an 07-09 after experiencing newer models?
Welcome back. 07-09 still had that very raw feeling and I think there is a cool factor to that. In 2010 there was subtle improvements to the chassis but I think in 2011 electric power steering and the aluminum block brought better weight distribution and more refined steering.

Regardless of year, I think anytime you strap yourself into an SVT product its a great day. :D

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
Too refined, or is it the annoying clutch that did it for you with the '14?
Looking back, I would have liked driving the '14 much more with shorter gears and more traction (DR's), which isn't any fault of the car itself. It just didn't have the raw SOTP feel of my modd
Welcome back. 07-09 still had that very raw feeling and I think there is a cool factor to that. In 2010 there was subtle improvements to the chassis but I think in 2011 electric power steering and the aluminum block brought better weight distribution and more refined steering.

Regardless of year, I think anytime you strap yourself into an SVT product its a great day. :D
Agree on all points. I feel bad for what I'm about to do to this completely stock very low-mileage car, but......I can't help myself, and Revan is about to get a big order :)
ed '07. I don't remember the clutch being odd, but the pedal seemed very light too me; I actually like a heavier pedal..

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
Not a GT500. but i had a 2011 brembo pack 5.0 that i sold for my 03 cobra. Same reason. 2011 was to refined and didnt give me any excitement. If i sell my cobra ill probably get a built sn95. something about the older cars is appealing.
I was toying with a 2018 GT, but didn't want the initial value hit, and the Coyote does not have that low-end torque hit i'm looking for. The S550 is great, but would need Pressure to provide the SOTP feel
Had an 09 for awhile, loved that car!
What was the most impactful MOD for you on the '09? Just curious..
I need!

Kiohtee

Established Member
Congrats! I definitely understand what you're saying about the rawness of older cars (hard to believe we're calling '07-09 cars old), but I drive my toy way too much a year to relegate myself to a worse riding, less technical car, even though I have a perfectly fine daily. Because logic. Lol

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I was toying with a 2018 GT, but didn't want the initial value hit, and the Coyote does not have that low-end torque hit i'm looking for. The S550 is great, but would need Pressure to provide the SOTP feel

What was the most impactful MOD for you on the '09? Just curious..
I need!

2.6 pulley and tune, 530ish rwhp, 540 rwtq, it was very basic, but gave me a shit eating grin everytime I stepped on the go pedal! Nowadays you can find take off 13/14 tvs blowers for 1500 bucks, I'd swap one of those in a heartbeat if I had an 07-12 GT500.

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
Too refined, or is it the annoying clutch that did it for you with the '14?
When I bought the '14, the dealership owner had a '69 Mach 1 428 sp. right next to the Shelby, and it was Immac. I could have had it for the price of the '14.....Prob should have done that!

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
2.6 pulley and tune, 530ish rwhp, 540 rwtq, it was very basic, but gave me a shit eating grin everytime I stepped on the go pedal! Nowadays you can find take off 13/14 tvs blowers for 1500 bucks, I'd swap one of those in a heartbeat if I had an 07-12 GT500.
Never thought of a take-off, but makes a lot of sense....Unfortunately I'm in Cali and have to go back to stock every two years to smog....F'ing hassle. Your numbers are exactly where I want to be though...

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Never thought of a take-off, but makes a lot of sense....Unfortunately I'm in Cali and have to go back to stock every two years to smog....F'ing hassle. Your numbers are exactly where I want to be though...

The takeoff tvs is a Ford oem part, would probably pass a visual. As for the tune, should pass obd diagnostic as long as the rear oxygen sensors have not been turned off. FWIW I left the catted midpipe on mine, but did have frpp axleback, it was plenty loud.

majmacv

Back in the Saddle
Established Member
The takeoff tvs is a Ford oem part, would probably pass a visual. As for the tune, should pass obd diagnostic as long as the rear oxygen sensors have not been turned off. FWIW I left the catted midpipe on mine, but did have frpp axleback, it was plenty loud.
Sounds plausible....I will most-likely go this route at some point, thanks

CV355

_
Established Member
Looking back, I would have liked driving the '14 much more with shorter gears and more traction (DR's), which isn't any fault of the car itself. It just didn't have the raw SOTP feel of my modd

I understand that. My '00 GT with a Kenne Bell and 4.10s was more "raw" than the Shelby at less than half the power. The stock '14 tires and gears make for long gear pulls and going sideways a lot. Hell I spin the garbage Goodyears letting out of the clutch at 1200rpms on a cold day. Chrp chrp chrp chrp

When I bought the '14, the dealership owner had a '69 Mach 1 428 sp. right next to the Shelby, and it was Immac. I could have had it for the price of the '14.....Prob should have done that!

I have mixed feelings on mine. I could drive the GT500 across the country, but the Mach 1 I'm too afraid to drive 3 miles to work

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
The 14 I ordered seemed pretty tame when it showed up, compared to the 11 @ the time.
Gears & some mods fixed that..

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
4.10s woke my 2011 up. Already had 3.73s, but the 4.10s are on another level of fun. same problem as you guys through, blow normal tires off the car every time I get on the gas hard. Will be looking into some Nitto NT05Rs, or MT ET Street S/S.

65type1

Established Member
never left... the 07-09 is the only late model GT500 that's ever interested me. Lack of refinement and the rawness is a huge selling point to me.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I really enjoy my 2008 gt500. It still has that very raw feeling. But i with what you get out of the gate as a starting point for 13/14 gt500 i think its a better performer.

Users who are viewing this thread