Bad blower?

toomanytoys

Established Member
I was just wondering what a bad Eaton sounds like. I have a strange chirping/squeaking coming from the front of my engine that gets faster with rpm. The noise goes away with the fan belt removed. All the pulleys spin smoothly and easily though. Any help here would be great. Thanks

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
Sounds like a bad or just squeaky belt. What belt are you running?

I would change the belt and change the supercharger oil. Do some cheap maintenance first.

toomanytoys

Established Member
Not sure of the belt. Has no brand on it and I never changed it. But I will start there

MG0h3

Established Member
A small splash of water typically quiets a belt chirp. It won’t quiet a failing idler bearing though.

Sometimes flipping the belt will relieve some squeaking as well.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

toomanytoys

Established Member
I did the water test and the noise didn’t stop. Tried spraying a little wd40 on the pulley bearings and that didn’t help either. That’s why I was thinking the blower

MG0h3

Established Member
Those are sealed bearings. Lube won’t get to them.

Get a mechanics stethoscope

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

toomanytoys

Established Member
I have one. Didn’t think to try it though ( don’t know why) maybe I’m getting too old. I’ll give it a shot tomorrow when the rain stops. Thanks

GodStang

Established Member
I chuckled at FAN BELT

haha I completely read over that. Guess I am use to the old days.

I did the water test and the noise didn’t stop. Tried spraying a little wd40 on the pulley bearings and that didn’t help either. That’s why I was thinking the blower

When I had a Gates built it chirped badly. Put on a new Gates on. It still chirped. I did the water trick and still. I replaced all the bearings in my pulleys, and still chirped. I switched to a $16 Gatorback belt and the noise has been gone ever since.

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
haha I completely read over that. Guess I am use to the old days.

When I had a Gates built it chirped badly. Put on a new Gates on. It still chirped. I did the water trick and still. I replaced all the bearings in my pulleys, and still chirped. I switched to a $16 Gatorback belt and the noise has been gone ever since.
I’ll second this ^^ sometimes you can do all the tests and still have chirp. Mine went away on it’s own after driving a few times.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As others have suggested, definitely replace the belt with a new one, preferably a different brand.

toomanytoys

Established Member
I have a 4lb lower with a 3” upper and a auxiliary idler. Would the blower belt still be the same length?

HudsonFalcon

Established Member
I have a 4lb lower with a 3” upper and a auxiliary idler. Would the blower belt still be the same length?

Oh yeah I also have a 3.1” alt pulley as well

Follow this chart to determine proper belt length.

capture1.png

Users who are viewing this thread