Bad Coil

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
How can I tell which one of my coils is bad? I get a high rpm sputter when i stab the throttle. No " check engine" light.

Speedboosted

Established Member
You could try swapping them around, although if it's not giving any codes I feel its not ignition related

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
My 03 had a bad coil and no code???Im baffled......................I'm gonna try switchin half the coils on one side then the other to rule out a coil.

heatsoaked12

Established Member
Get an ohm meter and check resistance across each ignition coil. They should all show very close to the same resistance as each other. If one is way out, good chance its bad. High speed sputter does sound like a lean condition as well. check your plugs while your in there.

Last edited:

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
Get an ohm meter and check resistance across each ignition coil. They should all show very close to the same resistance as each other. If one is way out, good chance its bad. High speed sputter does sound like a lean condition as well. check your plugs while your in there.

should this be done while the car is running??

1320 Junkie

Established Member
Sounds like a fuel problem not ignition. If you are having spark issues u will get a blinking CEL then a hard code

03MUSCLE

03 MUSCLE
Established Member
My car did this same thing when I up-graded to the TVS it was the fuel filter,but that was 6000 miles ago. Do u think its clogged allready?? The car dose not get drivin very much.

Snoopy49

Established Member
CHECK THE SECONDARY COIL RESISTANCE FOR THE MISSING CYLINDERS
Note: Two adjacent coil towers share a common coil and are called a matched pair. The matched pairs are 1 and 4, and 2 and 3.

• Ignition OFF.
  • Ignition coil pack disconnected.
  • Disconnect spark plug wires from the coil pack.
  • Measure the resistance of each matched pair.

Is the resistance between 8,000 and 9,600 ohms?

nxhappy

Established Member
sometimes it will NOT flash a code if the COP is faulty. As suggested, the best thing to do is pull them (engine off) and check the ohms.

Have you checked the condition of your plugs?

Have you checked the fuel filter?

Users who are viewing this thread