Bad Gas Mileage!! HELP

cbr repsol

Established Member
You said you had the car in storage for 6 months. I know this sounds really dumb, but I bought my cobra used. I was a pig when it came to gas mileage. I was getting like 120 to a tank . I changed the oil with factory filter and motorcraft 5w-20, 6 quarts only. Immidiatly I knotice a huge difference, It was like it was a different car. I dont know if the previous owner had too much oil in it or it was the wrong viscosity. But it damn sure worked, I was using 3/4 of a tank to go to work and back 75 miles total for the week. now Im barly using a half of a tank. If i drive only freeway I will get about 225 to 250 on a tank. Good luck I hope this helps you, if not n e one that reads this.

I putting down an estimated 430 to 450 rwhp

ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
I can't believe nobody mentioned this, because you had your fuel system open in two different places.

A fuel leak will give you craptacular mileage. Spraying fuel on the ground instead of sending it to the engine has a detrimental effect on fuel efficiency.

ib_604

Established Member
Theory and practice says run the max. gap you can without wot misfire. I run n2o also, so I have to run a .028 gap even with the ix plugs. If I could run more I would but blowing off hoses from a nitrous misfire is serious bs. It all depends on combustion pressures. More boost or n2o, less gap is needed for a fixed spark voltage. Stock boost .036 is fine imo. Find a friend around if needed to do the testing and cleaning it's pretty simple stuff really. You can even look at maf voltage and see before and after cleaning maf voltage w a predator.

sweet, thanks...yea i tracked down some MAF cleaner, so just waiting for my local parts shop to get it in tomorrow, then i will clean the maf on the weekend, and try to do a before/after test...like you said, seems easy enough

i am not running the stock pulley...i think its a 2.93 or something...so i guess i have a bit more boost then stock...

ib_604

Established Member
You said you had the car in storage for 6 months. I know this sounds really dumb, but I bought my cobra used. I was a pig when it came to gas mileage. I was getting like 120 to a tank . I changed the oil with factory filter and motorcraft 5w-20, 6 quarts only. Immidiatly I knotice a huge difference, It was like it was a different car. I dont know if the previous owner had too much oil in it or it was the wrong viscosity. But it damn sure worked, I was using 3/4 of a tank to go to work and back 75 miles total for the week. now Im barly using a half of a tank. If i drive only freeway I will get about 225 to 250 on a tank. Good luck I hope this helps you, if not n e one that reads this.

I putting down an estimated 430 to 450 rwhp

yea, before it went in storage, i had done an oil change with RP XPR 5W30...maybe it needs fresh oil?

ib_604

Established Member
I can't believe nobody mentioned this, because you had your fuel system open in two different places.

A fuel leak will give you craptacular mileage. Spraying fuel on the ground instead of sending it to the engine has a detrimental effect on fuel efficiency.

haha, very true...i did think about this, but checked the fuel rail where the gauge is connected(with the car on) and there was nothing...maybe at WOT?

and as for the filter...not sure, no marks on my driveway...hmmm

cbr repsol

Established Member
yea, before it went in storage, i had done an oil change with RP XPR 5W30...maybe it needs fresh oil?

the royal purple oil is good but the 5w30 could be a contributing factor. I am a very firm beliver in the 5w20 or even 0w20. too bad you cant get the 0w20 n e more. I would get rid of the 5w30 and run what the factory states to use.

cbr repsol

Established Member
put the 5w20 back in. That tech probably has no I idea how to work on cars. If your motor went south, he wouldnt remember you. If it is still under warranty ford would do a oil annalasis and determine what you had in it. Then laugh at you when your warranty claim is denied.

Last edited:

rcksblr

Established Member
250 to a tank....thats actually quite impressive. I'm in the range of 150-170....

I have lower gearing setup (3.73) which makes a bit worse.

ib_604

Established Member
250 to a tank....thats actually quite impressive. I'm in the range of 150-170....

I have lower gearing setup (3.73) which makes a bit worse.

uhh, i have 3.73 gears, and i was getting just fine mileage before...but i am in canada, so i am talking KM's

if you look at my first post i am only getting around 135miles per tank right now...

Digital

Established Member
You guys do realise that this car in full boost will drink a gallon of gas in a 1/4 mile right? Maybe after having it in storage for 6 months you have now forgotten your mpg driving technique and are unknowingly giving the car more gas then you realise.

Do me a favor and shift at 1800 rpm, accelerate slow enough from lights that you let grandmas in minivans put lengths on you and keep it at 70 or less on the highway at all times, no downshifting to accelerating and keep your car out of boost at all times, not even 1 psi. Then tell us how your MPG is. Using those techniques you can get 25 mpg on the highway and 18-20 in the city. Boost = Death to MPG.

cbr repsol

Established Member
You guys do realise that this car in full boost will drink a gallon of gas in a 1/4 mile right? Maybe after having it in storage for 6 months you have now forgotten your mpg driving technique and are unknowingly giving the car more gas then you realise.

Do me a favor and shift at 1800 rpm, accelerate slow enough from lights that you let grandmas in minivans put lengths on you and keep it at 70 or less on the highway at all times, no downshifting to accelerating and keep your car out of boost at all times, not even 1 psi. Then tell us how your MPG is. Using those techniques you can get 25 mpg on the highway and 18-20 in the city. Boost = Death to MPG.

I couldnt of siad it better myself. although cobras just arnt going to get mileage like people want. you are fighting that 8.5 to 1 compression ration which is not good for mileage. on top of that you have the stupid charger.( haha) point being its not a yaris . kind of like the guy who has a ferrari and complains about the insurance, If you have the money to get that car you should have money to fit the bill. I really dont care about mpg I know it going to take about 51 to fill the tank at $4.30 a gallon even if gas goes to 5 bucks its only 9 dollars difference. So for that week you dont eat out at fast food one time. big deal I do know one thing Im having more fun per gallon that alot of people.

Users who are viewing this thread