Bad Gas???

FireRed04Vert

Established Member
Poor running, detonation, won't start easily if at all, etc etc. Water and gas don't mix. Water is heavier...so it will sit on the bottom of the tank. If you don't get it out, it will rust the tank. You can add some alcohol...which will mix with water to help get it out of there, but it would take A LOT to get it out if there's enough water in there to make it run bad. You may want to go ahead and drop the tank and flush the lines if you're in doubt. You can also adapt a fitting off the schrader valve fitting or fuel filter fitting and pump some fuel into a bottle. Let it sit for a few minutes and see if there is any water that separates and settles to the bottom.

Last edited:

FKing1

Established Member
If there is water in the gas, when the tank gets below 1/8, it will probably buck, stall & run, or may quit running altogether. Had it happen to me on the Turnpike with a different car. Got some dry gas at a Service Plaza, filled the tank and no more problems.

Fred

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Simple solution like FKing1 said is to just put a can of dry-gas into your tank. It won't hurt and can only help.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
ShelbyGuy, the blend varies from region to region, doesn't it?

I-CAN-STANG

cut em' off at the knees
Established Member
ShelbyGuy said:
yeah but its still a winter blend, even for phx

those of us in high pollution areas (we call them 'cities') have an even worse formula during the winter.

the sticker on the pump says 93 but my car says otherwise....
interesting!

OmahaStang

Established Member
I got some REALLY bad gas with my 4runner once and it didn't want to start. Drained the battery twice, and then got a new batter for it was OG battery. Still took awhile of cranking to turn over but finally did kick and sputter to life. I needed to keep the revs up to keep it running. This was also in the fall/winter time and after start up it looked like I had blown a head gasket for there was a TON of white smoke coming out.
Eventually all cleared up, ran to the a GOOD fuel station and put premium in it and all was good.
Just recently 2yrs later I noticed the 4runner not running 'perfectly smooth' so I bought some octane boost and injector cleaner (1 bottle containing both) along with a tank of premium and afterwards it ran a lot smoother.

Users who are viewing this thread