Bad Intercooler Pump :/ How Much Damage??

Orange_SVT

Hello this is my first post, and it took me like 30 mins to find out how to actually post something!!!
so I purchased my Lightning about 5 months ago, everything good. 100% stock. And ive been up to date on maintenance and fluids. all levels are good, but up until a week ago I did my intercooler cleaning, filthy by the way, I put it back together and was going to add fluid and I thought the intercooler pump turned on when the thermostat went off, ive never seen it on, I found out that its supposed to be pretty much on most of the time, and well ive been driving pretty hard...
ive even tracked it once, ran 4 times just the 1/8. and the best I ran was a 9.1 or so. could this be the cause that it ran 9s? it still runs the same as when I bought it, actually better since the cleaning, but should I check any certain areas for damage? my truck never over heats by the way, and I made sure by jumping the pump, cleaning the plugs, and tapping it. feed back would be awesome thanks guys. oh and ive searched and couldn't really find a post to help, I guess no one else was dumb enough not to know how the intercooler works. and already ordered the new pump.

throttle jockey

Stock Block 11 Sec. Club
Established Member
What part of SoCal?

The IC system operates separate of the engine coolant so you won't see any difference in your engine coolant temp even if your IC pump has crapped out.

The IC pump is triggered by the IC pump relay based off of the IAT2 temperature. The relay closes when the IAT2 temp reaches the 70s.

You need to look in the IC coolant reservoir to see if the coolant is circulating. You can either get the truck up to operating temperature and look or you can jumper the IC pump relay. If your coolant isn't circulating then you need to rebuild or replace your IC pump.

A faulty IC pump will result in high IAT2 temps which will cause detonation. Detonation is an engine killer! In order to protect against detonation our trucks' ECUs start to reduce engine timing during WOT pulls when the IAT2 temps reach 130* (roughly) and begins to pull timing more aggressively when IAT2 temps reach 150*.

Pull a few of the spark plugs and visually inspect them for signs of detonation (burnt ground straps, black specs on the porcelain).

Off-hand I don't really know what ETs a stock Lightning should put down in the 1/8th but the low-9s you made are on-par with what to expect.

Here's how to jumper the IC pump relay:

FPFP-HLInertiaandICPumpRelays-Labeled_zps7aef696d.jpg

ICPumpRelayJumpered-Labeled_zps29636ed0.jpg

Orange_SVT

Thanks A lot Man really appreciate it, I tried jumping and nothing. ordered the new pump and waiting for it to arrive. really appreciate it. Helped out a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread