bad knee, heavy clutch = driving sucks. options?

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
Car has a McLeod clutch...and I have bad knees.

I just installed a new clutch cable after the original snapped. It's now butter smooth and operates 100 better. Also have a triple hook quadrant set to the 2nd hook with a firewall adjuster.

The clutch is still heavy and it's tweaking the snot out of my knee. Im just about out of options, if I want to drive my car I have to pay the price and it's just not enjoyable right now. My knee wants to explode every time I use the clutch.

What can I do to lighten the clutch pedal? Shorter travel would help, but the solution would be to lighten the pedal. I've heard of fitting hydraulic?

traktrbeam

Oh Noes!
Established Member
Premium Member
If I had to chose between much less knee pain and driving a stick....well, I would probably have to sell my Cobra.

mkb116

Established Member
Probably not an option, but I'll throw it out there anyways. I have a c6 as well and I just about push the clutch through the floor everytime I drive it after the cobra. Possibly auto swap?? I have the RXT and that thing feels insanely light for a clutch for these cars. I wish I had something more helpful for you.

mavisky

Established Member
RXT has a very light pedal. So light in fact that the shop that put one in my GT500 was pulling it out of their terminator just because they didn't like the way it felt.

Another option is looking into the hydraulic setup that's available. I can't remember who makes it now, but I know that one exists for the new edge cars.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
mcleod makes a hydraulic conversion kit for sn95 but it sounds like any stick might be too painful for your knee.

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I'd hate to auto swap as I don't want to crush any value the car has. Not just that, but the expense would be crazy. I already have a built auto car lol

I've found the hydraulic kit, it's $600+ and the transmission has to come out for it. I'm thinking it may be worth verifying who has the lightest pedal clutch. The clutch in the car now doesn't have many miles on it though..but could sell it to recoup some money.

I know for a fact my cable isn't binding, in fact it feels just like the 04 Cobra I sold, but my knee has gotten worse and surgery is a high risk fix so even that is out of the question lol.

I tried using the first hook, but the firewall adjuster had to be almost completely maxed out (threaded out from firewall) for the car to go into gear smoothly and after some driving it would eventually become hard to shift. I still don't fully understand how the firewall adjuster works with the TOB and ensuring the clutch isn't slipping with it's adjustments...anyway.... When I used the first hook, the clutch pedal moved a ton before the resistance was there and it felt much better for my knee - having to travel less really helps.

I tried routing the cable a few different ways, didn't make a difference. Also, when I was installing the cable, I was told I'd need a pry bar to pull the lever forward - I didn't, it moved with ease. Someone mentioned to disconnect the cable and blast it with some silicone spray, as the cable just grinds away at the tubing and the friction creates a ton of resistance. I have a feeling this is my last resort before I have to go hydraulic (ugh...) or find a proven clutch setup?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
I'm thinking it may be worth verifying who has the lightest pedal clutch. ?

you probably already have it.

there are only a few choices for twin discs out there. forget about trying any conventional single disc, they all have much heavier pedals than twin discs

hotcobra03

Established Member
Did old cable snap from being hard to push?

I just went thru issue like this on hard to push..and cables snapping ..

after 2 new cables in a week I replaced clutch..still had same issues.

seen video on cable needing to be oiled before install.

I said why not. .took off cable..oiled it..

instantly pedal felt like a honda to push..

I went oem clutch..

single hook ..no firewall adjuster..modified adjustment at fork end..heavy duty cable..

been about a year now still easy

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
Old cable was on it's last leg when I got the car. It was a total nightmare to push in. It finally let go about a week ago. New one is butter smooth, just not as light as I would like. I'm going to go grab some silicone spray and blast it on my lunch break.

Dan04COBRA

Established Member
I do not know which McLeod clutch, I will have to find the for sale ad here.

As for the clutch pedal - I got some in my eye, mouth and all over my work clothes, but I sprayed a silicone lubricant down into the clutch cable...and....friction was greatly reduced. I'd say I'm about 5-10% away from having a clutch pedal that my left knee can handle. I can hike up a mountain with all my hunting gear, but a clutch pedal owns me like I'm it's bitch. Life is confusing.

I'd like to try a new routing for the clutch cable. I routed mine exactly how I removed the old one, it goes around the dipstick, down into the frame rail where it's bolted in, above the oil filter, then makes a serious bend around the oil filter, then between the kmember and engine block, then obviously it's a straight shot to the bellhousing. It's a sharp bend there. If I recall correctly, I saw no other routing options because I was afraid it could catch the belt, or snag the a-arm.

joshcarp81

Established Member
I also have a knee that I can walk/run on, I can do all construction type of work, and whatever else. Yet the factory clutch and just sitting in most cars makes my knee ache. This is really the reason I am in the middle of upgrading my clutch to the mcleod rxt.

My stupid knee was years of dirt biking and then a bad dirt bike wreck followed by a street bike wreck less than a year later

sigmanx

Established Member
Ya my knee with a spec 2+ doesn't work so well anymore. I've had a torn meniscus for the last 11 years in there and just don't have the money to fix it. Not to mention tearing it up several more times in accidents.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

sigmanx

Established Member
As soon as I have the extra cash I plan to swap it out for a spec stage one and an aluminum flywheel.

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

CrazyBoost

Established Member
I went from a DFX to a RXT and it was like night and day. My DFX actually made my whole left leg sore using it. It got to the point were i actually was lifting myself off the seat as I would use it. My RXT is just about as light as my old RX8. I say if you can get a twin plate and never look back.

Buckwheat 1

I like Blm junk in my butt
Established Member
Some Perc's and a 40 oz ,much cheaper than an Automatic,Unless you get arrested for OUi

Users who are viewing this thread