Bad valvetrain noise

Mr2MCHVNM

Established Member
The noise is everywhere! It developed after the dyno day thrashing. I am thinking lifters... Regardless I have to pull it all apart right after I got it all back together : dw :
Here is a link to the video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ir2Y-bmVto4&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Any ideas on what the noise may be?

I just hope it isn't an oil starvation problem or something too expensive to fix because I'm burnt out and broke and my girlfriend wants an engagement ring!

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
Buy a automotive stethoscope and using it in various spots on both valve covers. It's not likely that all of your lifters are bad but It's possible one or two of these could be your problem. If not it might be rod bearings. It's hard to say. I can tell you that sounds get thrown around like crazy in the engine bay so pinpointing the problem is difficult. I've have a bad pcv valve that sounded just like a bad accessory bearing before.

Mr2MCHVNM

Established Member
It really sounds like lifters to me. I have seen the same thing happen on a 98 Turbo Cobra.

Man I sure hope it's something simple....
I'll be draining the oil tonight (there goes $100) I have a paint bucket filter to watch for debris and im bringing the oil filter to a local business to get cut open and examined.. Honestly I've been sick thinking about it since last friday and just haven't drained the oil yet because part of me doesn't want to face what could be terminal cancer for my engine!

Mr2MCHVNM

Established Member
2012-09-06_21-58-39_333.jpg

2012-09-06_21-58-57_769.jpg

2012-09-06_21-59-48_625.jpg

2012-09-06_22-00-53_936.jpg

2012-09-06_22-01-11_987.jpg

2012-09-06_23-02-24_82.jpg

I got Danica cutout Patrick keeping an eye on things for me!

The oiling appears consistent, the front lobe on one of the camshafts looks like it's tracking but in person its smooth... Maybe just the picture angle. I'll compression check each cylinder(going to have to be a cold check) but I'm just looking for variances right now, also going to pull and # the plugs... We shall see!

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
Not sure about the bleed down rate for lifters on the gt but the cobra has been know to float valve past 6k rpm if anything thicker than 5w20 is used. Don't know if that info will be helpful or not. Why am I the only one offering suggestion? Chime in people.

svtsilversnake

DRIVER MODED
Established Member
Your lash adjusters may work fine with that weight oil. I doubt that will fix it but It's worth a try after everything else. I would find out what the bleed down rate Is.

Mr2MCHVNM

Established Member
No, but through process of elimination I'll keep plugging away. I'll inspect the followers while changing the lash adjusters and replace as/if necessary. If that doesnt fix it it can only be the tensioners (which are fairly new already) or the cam journals in which case the heads are wasted (guess that means i sell out and go 4v!)

Users who are viewing this thread