BADASS Thread

ajaf1656

Established Member
What makes a TT rider different from your average road rider? Speed and skill. The road rider has more threats to navigate, but the TT rider is faster and more talented.
What makes a Grand Prix rider different from a TT rider? Speed and skill. The TT racer has more threats to navigate, but the Grand Prix rider is faster and more talented.

As far as the claim that TT riders are superior in their testicular fortitude or emotional state... That's completely speculative. The TT is not a grid-start sprint race. There is a certain level of courage and level headedness it takes to ride in a pack of riders. A great number of the serious injuries and fatalities in circuit racing come from racing in a pack. Would a TT rider have the stones to blast down the straight at Mugello at over 220mph and go into San Donato 3 or 4 riders wide? Maybe they do, but they lack the talent to be able to find themselves there. It's pretty well known that they were surprised when they put a heart rate monitor on Rossi, his heart rate remained pretty low and steady during races. I think his pit crew would have higher heart rate watching him than he did racing.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
What makes a TT rider different from your average road rider? Speed and skill. The road rider has more threats to navigate, but the TT rider is faster and more talented.
What makes a Grand Prix rider different from a TT rider? Speed and skill. The TT racer has more threats to navigate, but the Grand Prix rider is faster and more talented.

As far as the claim that TT riders are superior in their testicular fortitude or emotional state... That's completely speculative. The TT is not a grid-start sprint race. There is a certain level of courage and level headedness it takes to ride in a pack of riders. A great number of the serious injuries and fatalities in circuit racing come from racing in a pack. Would a TT rider have the stones to blast down the straight at Mugello at over 220mph and go into San Donato 3 or 4 riders wide? Maybe they do, but they lack the talent to be able to find themselves there. It's pretty well known that they were surprised when they put a heart rate monitor on Rossi, his heart rate remained pretty low and steady during races. I think his pit crew would have higher heart rate watching him than he did racing.

saying that a regular rider (average sack of shit on a bike) has more threats to navigate than a TT rider is highly disingenuous. The level of danger for a TT rider on race day vs some regular joe sack of shit on a Sunday ride is not comparable in any way shape or form.

The skill level between a regular rider and a TT guy is also so very very very far away. Very very far removed.

Now, a circuit guy and a TT guy is a much more similar comparo. The TT guys danger level is higher, while the circuit guy is a more technical rider. But they are somewhat close…..

regular rider is so far removed from those 2…. Its another dimension apart.

SKILL (raw talent)

regular guy: 1.5 to 2
TT guy: 8.5 to 9
Circuit Guy: 8.5 to 10

BALLS (courage/nerve/crazy)

regular guy: 1 to 1.5
TT guy: 8.5 to 10
Circuit guy: 9

ajaf1656

Established Member
saying that a regular rider (average sack of shit on a bike) has more threats to navigate than a TT rider is highly disingenuous. The level of danger for a TT rider on race day vs some regular joe sack of shit on a Sunday ride is not comparable in any way shape or form.

The skill level between a regular rider and a TT guy is also so very very very far away. Very very far removed.

Now, a circuit guy and a TT guy is a much more similar comparo. The TT guys danger level is higher, while the circuit guy is a more technical rider. But they are somewhat close…..

regular rider is so far removed from those 2…. Its another dimension apart.

SKILL (raw talent)

regular guy: 1.5 to 2
TT guy: 8.5 to 9
Circuit Guy: 8.5 to 10

BALLS (courage/nerve/crazy)

regular guy: 1 to 1.5
TT guy: 8.5 to 10
Circuit guy: 9
Meh, I don't think it's disingenuous. A lack of skill and a sack of shit bike are their own threats. Lol

MotoGP free practice 1 just wrapped up at Sepang. Alvaro Bautista who is a former MotoGP racer who completely dominated World Superbike this year is riding a factory Ducati as a wildcard. He was 3 seconds off the leader. That's with MotoGP experience and having had several opportunities to test the bike before heading to Malaysia. That tells you what level of skill the MotoGP guys are operating at.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Here's a question I've discussed with a lot of other riders. If you are competent and fairly skilled rider, do you think you could take a MotoGP bike around a circuit and set lap times on par with the times set by the Moto3 (250cc) bikes?
Let's say you can swap the carbon brakes for traditional steel rotors and put more forgiving tires on the bike so you don't have to push the bike to get the temperatures up to their normal operational temps.
For reference the gap in the first practice session today was about 12.5 seconds.
1:59.5-2:12.0.

The other question is, what bike do you think a skilled road or track-day rider would be fastest on?
A race prepped production 600cc, or a MotoGP bike? I think they'd be faster on the 600.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Here's a question I've discussed with a lot of other riders. If you are competent and fairly skilled rider, do you think you could take a MotoGP bike around a circuit and set lap times on par with the times set by the Moto3 (250cc) bikes?
Let's say you can swap the carbon brakes for traditional steel rotors and put more forgiving tires on the bike so you don't have to push the bike to get the temperatures up to their normal operational temps.
For reference the gap in the first practice session today was about 12.5 seconds.

The other question is, what bike do you think a skilled road or track-day rider would be fastest on?
A race prepped production 600cc, or a MotoGP bike? I think they'd be faster on the 600.

If I understand your analogy correctly, it would be like putting a competent driver in a new Z06 and an F1 car and betting on which in he'd be faster in. The Z would be the closest and most familiar thing for someone new and an F1 car would be so extreme you'd expect a much larger learning curve in order to put down a respectable lap time.

ajaf1656

Established Member
If I understand your analogy correctly, it would be like putting a competent driver in a new Z06 and an F1 car and betting on which in he'd be faster in. The Z would be the closest and most familiar thing for someone new and an F1 car would be so extreme you'd expect a much larger learning curve in order to put down a respectable lap time.
Exactly.

ajaf1656

Established Member
I remember when Ducati put out the V4 Panigale for WSBK. The WSBK rider who had been riding the V2 Panigale said "It feels like a MotoGP bike!" and one of the MotoGP riders who stepped down to WSBK said "It feels like a Moto2 bike!" Lol

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

For me? Not a chance. Not only are my riding skills off pace for a machine of that caliber but I also don't have the physical fitness to manage those forces for anything more than a lap or two.

I don't think non-riders understand the physical requirements of riding at, even, 6/10 pace. I've used my apple watch to track rides. Typically I consume about 450 calories per hour. This is at a very relaxed pace. Maybe 3/10. It's fun seeing your heart rate at different parts of the ride. Geez... 180 BPM. Oh, that was that corner... lol.

Here is a screenshot of a commute to work. Takes about 32 minutes. Average heart rate is 133 BPM. Zone 3 starts at a "clear view" 2 mile long straight and ends in a great off camber corner followed a weird sort of S curve. I've been hitting this corner for 21 years. lol. But it still gets my goat everytime. The absolute best bike on this corner was my 07 Ape SXV550. It had the perfect amount of engine braking and was ever so gentle to slide the back tire entering the off camber corner.

Attachments

• IMG_1095.png
    IMG_1095.png
    670.4 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

ajaf1656

Established Member
Yup, when liquor and smokes could still be sponsors, still had paddock girls… now the sport is governed by fruits
I swear, Europeans love rules and regulations so much they've turned F1 into a contest of compliance. Meanwhile the FIM thinks because F1 does it, they should follow suit in MotoGP and WSBK. Nothing makes me hate them more than the results of a race, or in 2015 the championship, being decided by the race stewards.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I swear, Europeans love rules and regulations so much they've turned F1 into a contest of compliance. Meanwhile the FIM thinks because F1 does it, they should follow suit in MotoGP and WSBK. Nothing makes me hate them more than the results of a race, or in 2015 the championship, being decided by the race stewards.
The brits and zee germans are the worst in that regard.. consummate rule followers, I swear to god those m’fers have a manual of arms for taking a piss.

Users who are viewing this thread