BADASS Thread

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
These guys even make Valentino Rossi shake his head in disbelief…

Do any of the Isle of Man riders race pro or do they only live for that race? I would think they would be pro year round in various series, but I could also believe that nothing compares to the Isle of Man so they only practice for that event.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Do any of the Isle of Man riders race pro or do they only live for that race? I would think they would be pro year round in various series, but I could also believe that nothing compares to the Isle of Man so they only practice for that event.
They definitely aren’t active in motogp, pretty sure those contracts prohibit risky endeavors outside of the sport. Perhaps from other series, very good question brother.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
They definitely aren’t active in motogp, pretty sure those contracts prohibit risky endeavors outside of the sport. Perhaps from other series, very good question brother.

That's a good point. Never considered they would be under contract with their sponsors. Always considered it one of those independent ventures where riders showed up to prove their worth and paid their own way, but for how big the event is it makes sense that there is probably a lot of money in it.

ajaf1656

Established Member
Back in the day, the Isle of Man was one of the races on the Grand Prix calendar. Now most of the racers compete in various other TT road races around Europe.

MotoGP is just a different level of performance these days. Look at how Alvaro Bautista ran away with the WSBK title this year. When he was in MotoGP he was a middle of the pack rider. I think the last rider to get into MotoGP from outside of the Grand Prix pipeline was Danilo Petrucci. Nicky Hayden's championship in 2006 was the only time in the modern 4-stroke era that a rider came in from another series to take the title.
I think if those TT riders could be flown around to race on circuits, they would.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Back in the day, the Isle of Man was one of the races on the Grand Prix calendar. Now most of the racers compete in various other TT road races around Europe.

MotoGP is just a different level of performance these days. Look at how Alvaro Bautista ran away with the WSBK title this year. When he was in MotoGP he was a middle of the pack rider. I think the last rider to get into MotoGP from outside of the Grand Prix pipeline was Danilo Petrucci. Nicky Hayden's championship in 2006 was the only time in the modern 4-stroke era that a rider came in from another series to take the title.
I think if those TT riders could be flown around to race on circuits, they would.
very different riding, for starters those TT riders aren’t short course riders like MotoGP, every circuit in MotoGP is short compared to what these TT guys are doing and the riders have every inch memorized. Can you imagine having to know 37 miles of track vs 3… totally different ball game.

A few years ago Valentino Rossi did a demonstration lap of the Mountain Course. His response:

I did a lap of the Isle of Man, and I understand why people love this because it’s f**king awesome – it’s unbelievable, great. But, unfortunately, it’s too dangerous. Sometimes, riders are crazy.'

'The Isle of Man is very difficult. If you make a mistake, maybe it’s the last mistake.'

Short course racers are used to the idea that when they crash the most likely outcome is that they’ll slide off into relative safety. The tracks are designed specifically for that outcome. Knowing that, it makes it easier for the riders to push to the limit. The Mountain Course is definitely not that. The average injury for riders involved in an incident in a TT is significantly more severe than the average injury at MotoGP.

Very different disciplines, don’t think you can really compare the two. TT riders definitely have the bigger balls..

ajaf1656

Established Member
very different riding, for starters those TT riders aren’t short course riders like MotoGP, every circuit in MotoGP is short compared to what these TT guys are doing and the riders have every inch memorized. Can you imagine having to know 37 miles of track vs 3… totally different ball game.

A few years ago Valentino Rossi did a demonstration lap of the Mountain Course. His response:

I did a lap of the Isle of Man, and I understand why people love this because it’s f**king awesome – it’s unbelievable, great. But, unfortunately, it’s too dangerous. Sometimes, riders are crazy.'

'The Isle of Man is very difficult. If you make a mistake, maybe it’s the last mistake.'

Short course racers are used to the idea that when they crash the most likely outcome is that they’ll slide off into relative safety. The tracks are designed specifically for that outcome. Knowing that, it makes it easier for the riders to push to the limit. The Mountain Course is definitely not that. The average injury for riders involved in an incident in a TT is significantly more severe than the average injury at MotoGP.

Very different disciplines, don’t think you can really compare the two. TT riders definitely have the bigger balls..

I loved the TT when I was young, but after Joey Dunlop died (in another TT-style race), I started to be put off by the danger. There's more than enough death in racing on circuits where they're doing their best to make it safe. I don't need to see anyone die to know the skill and talent it takes to race motorcycles. Being more dangerous doesn't make it more exciting to me. Watching the fastest riders race a sprint format wheel to wheel on insane prototype machines is way more entertaining for me.

I don't know if I think they have some special talent for memorizing the course. The MotoGP riders have to learn 22 different circuits next year. I learned the canyons and mountain roads I used to ride like the back of my hand.
You can even get video games with the Mountain Course and learn it in pretty accurate detail. That's more than you get going for a sporty ride 10 minutes from home. Haha

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
I loved the TT when I was young, but after Joey Dunlop died (in another TT-style race), I started to be put off by the danger. There's more than enough death in racing on circuits where they're doing their best to make it safe. I don't need to see anyone die to know the skill and talent it takes to race motorcycles. Being more dangerous doesn't make it more exciting to me. Watching the fastest riders race a sprint format wheel to wheel on insane prototype machines is way more entertaining for me.

I don't know if I think they have some special talent for memorizing the course. The MotoGP riders have to learn 22 different circuits next year. I learned the canyons and mountain roads I used to ride like the back of my hand.
You can even get video games with the Mountain Course and learn it in pretty accurate detail. That's more than you get going for a sporty ride 10 minutes from home. Haha
TT riders can’t afford to get it wrong, there is no gravel trap, runoff, softer barriers… mostly likely severe life changing injuries or death is what awaits you if you get it wrong. TT riders are just built different. Crazy m’fers…

ajaf1656

Established Member
TT riders can’t afford to get it wrong, there is no gravel trap, runoff, softer barriers… mostly likely severe life changing injuries or death is what awaits you if you get it wrong. TT riders are just built different. Crazy m’fers…
The same can be said for every single person who rides on public roads.

ZYBORG

Let's roll..
Established Member
Premium Member
:ROFLMAO:

I wouldnt compare TT guys to circuit guys….

Id say the best way to put it is….

Although circuit guys are gonna be technically superior in skill set around “controlled” environments, TT guys have a superior control over their CNS (balls/emotions), which allows for them to shine in an absolute life or death situation.

Kinda like comparing a civilian MD and a Combat Medic. They will each shine in their respective fields.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
More dangerous riding public roads than balls out TT, way more stuff out of the rider's control.
Guess I am as good as John McGuiness surviving 20+ years on crotch rockets. I attribute that to not riding like an asshole, doing risky and stupid shit and having my head on a swivel/situational awareness.

kazman

King of Kazmania
Established Member
Premium Member
20+ is good. :) A few quotes come to mind.

Ain't a horse that ain't been rode, and ain't a rider that ain't been throwed.

There's old riders and there's bold riders, but there ain't many old bold riders.

and yes, head on a swivel and situational awareness are key.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
20+ is good. :) A few quotes come to mind.

Ain't a horse that ain't been rode, and ain't a rider that ain't been throwed.

There's old riders and there's bold riders, but there ain't many old bold riders.

and yes, head on a swivel and situational awareness are key.
Same for aviation

There are bold pilots
There are old pilots
There are no old bold pilots…

You gotta ride like every mfer on the road is trying to kill you.

JPKII

Established Member
Single Barrel Sirs

Hayden... :cry::cry::cry:

Users who are viewing this thread