Bama Performance tune just installed, have some concerns

FIREBALL

Established Member
Got my AM 3.73 gears and Bama tune, just installed the 91 octane performance tune today and here is what I have so far------ A little bit more mid range performance, a slightly higher idle and slower to return to idle after getting off throttle (no like) but what I notice the most is when cruising between 2500 and 4000 rpm a rough and louder sound and feeling (no like) although its not missing and still good throttle response. I figure it must have something to do with cam timing? but its not the same kind of roughness as having a performance cam. Maybe I just need to get used to it? So after the fact and doing alot of searches it seems that there are more negative comments than there are good about Bama tunes. What is the consensus about what Im experiencing and Bama Tunes in general. i will call Bama but I wanted to see what you all say first. Sorry if this subject is worn out

MastaAce03

Established Member
Not many fans of Bama tunes on here. Don’t beat on it until you get it figured out. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Welcome to the world of Bama "tunes". Do you have a wideband? If not there is literally 0 way they can do any sort of legit datalog on your car and also Bama "tunes" are not tuned to YOUR car, they are "close enough" files that a CSR making $12 an hour is sending you, not an actual tuner. So... yeah see if they'll give you your money back but I doubt it. The good news is the SCT device can be used to load an actual tune on your car.

You probably don't want to hear you just wasted $$$hundreds on a shit "tune" but... you did... sorry... chalk it up to a learning experience?

PaxtonShelby

iamdrab
Established Member
Call a reputable tuner (AED, Lund, etc) and get a real tune. I don’t know if Lund uses SCT or not - but AED does. You will learn a lot from the process - well worth the effort.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I saw "Bama Performance Tune" in the thread title and immediately thought, uh oh! @FIREBALL, definitely get a new tune from a reputable shop/person. You don't need to deal with tune issues. And Bama is definitely not on the 'recommended' list of many here.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The cams in these cars aren't adjustable on the fly like the 3V and Coyote engines. I'd call Bama and ask about datalogging. But I would prepare yourself for having to get another tune.

FIREBALL

Established Member
The American Muscle gear and tune package was hard to resist, well at least I didnt pay the regular price for the bama tune. I loaded the tune they sent me and then unplugged it so Im not doing anything on the fly---does their tune change cam timing ? guess I could try the street tune, but most say that one hardly does anything ?

FIREBALL

Established Member
well I know some of you people hate bama tunes, but I was hoping to hear from some that have had success or have experienced what I have or what bama did to reprogram with a fix.

MastaAce03

Established Member
well I know some of you people hate bama tunes, but I was hoping to hear from some that have had success or have experienced what I have or what bama did to reprogram with a fix.

People don’t want to tell you what you want to hear, they’re telling you the truth. Just cut your losses and get it tuned somewhere else man. If you want to stick with Bama, data log the issue, send it to them and hope for the best.

FIREBALL

Established Member
Man- Im not looking for what I want to hear and Im not sold on bama. Ive seen plenty of negative about bama
but Its always good to get two points of view.

98_Undertaker

Established Member
A couple of our customers were dead set on using Bama even when we recommended going to Blankenship and both cars came back. One was a 2001 cobra we installed longtubes on and the other was a 2v we put comp 270’s in. Both tunes were lean and both bottom ends let go.

I wouldn’t let Bama build a swing set let alone tune a car for me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Agreed with all. Find a good local tuner and have him fix it. Couple hundred bucks isn’t worth driving with problems, or worse losing an engine.

shurur

Established Member
A couple of our customers were dead set on using Bama even when we recommended going to Blankenship and both cars came back. One was a 2001 cobra we installed longtubes on and the other was a 2v we put comp 270’s in. Both tunes were lean and both bottom ends let go.

I wouldn’t let Bama build a swing set let alone tune a car for me.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

So agree..I'm lucky now..I could actually push my car over to Ramsey's.

01yellercobra

Established Member
According to the PO of my car he put a Bama tune in it. I don't know for sure as he never gave me the hand held device. I datalogged the car with that tune. It was leaner than I like for a boosted car (12:1) and almost no timing. While it ran ok it was just soft. I retuned it myself and the car is a different animal. That's my experience.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

FIREBALL

Established Member
I called Bama yesterday to speak with one of their so called experts, got a young guy that could hardly answer any specific questions. I will call back and see if they have someone really experienced that can answer specifics. In the mean time I have installed the street tune to see if that tames anything down, going to try it out a little later.

thanks for all replies

FIREBALL

Established Member
Well i installed the street tune and it cut down on the rough sound/feeling by about 1/2 ------but the throttle response and mid range power is now less than stock and the idle is higher and takes longer to come back to idle after letting off on the throttle-------so obviously like all you are saying Bama is not the way to go!!!!! One question--I returned to stock but I need to readjust my speedo for the 3:73 gears but It doesnt look like I can do that with the X4 with stock tune, or can I ? or do I need something else to reset spedo calibration ?

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Well i installed the street tune and it cut down on the rough sound/feeling by about 1/2 ------but the throttle response and mid range power is now less than stock and the idle is higher and takes longer to come back to idle after letting off on the throttle-------so obviously like all you are saying Bama is not the way to go!!!!! One question--I returned to stock but I need to readjust my speedo for the 3:73 gears but It doesnt look like I can do that with the X4 with stock tune, or can I ? or do I need something else to reset spedo calibration ?
I want this answer as well.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
I look at BAMA tunes kind of like that rear set of tires that you are going to get replaced, so you burn them off with the biggest nastiest burnout right before you get your new tires put on..... Only those old tires are your current engine that you have with a BAMA tune. BAMA tunes are soooo bad.

There is a guy on YouTube who just pullied his Cobra and done the whole BAMA tunes for life for free deal and doesn't even have a wideband on his car. We will see how long it lasts.

scottydsntknow

Established Member
I called Bama yesterday to speak with one of their so called experts, got a young guy that could hardly answer any specific questions. I will call back and see if they have someone really experienced that can answer specifics. In the mean time I have installed the street tune to see if that tames anything down, going to try it out a little later.

thanks for all replies

You won't get one because they don't have any. Not anyone who works at the AM phone line anyway. If you go look on their website at the "jobs available" for AM one of the CSR job tasks is to send out Bama tunes. At $12/hr with 0 training. yeah....

Just take it to a shop already or call a real tuner. Do you have a wideband?

Every time you do a WOT pull with a Bama tune you are risking your engine. No I'm not being overdramatic. I mean on a "stock style" tune you will probably not melt a piston but it has happened...

Users who are viewing this thread