Bang for buck weight reduction

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
What have some of you done to shed some lbs? I have the car turned up as high as I'm comfortable going. The only way to go faster is to shed some pounds. I have a BMR K member, sway bar delete and radiator support.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Take out the front passenger seat, rear bench seat, the carpet, all insulation, power window motors, air conditioner, radio, speakers, etc etc.

:beer:

Blazer707@TBR

Master Ford Tech
Authorized Vendor
Best bang for your buck in 3 mods is a BPS rad support, kirkey drivers seat and lightweight battery from anti gravity.

hitmix300

Established Member
Remove spare tire & components from trunk & lighter wheels if you haven't done those two already.

kdaly

Established Member
rear seat delete was the cheapest thing I did that costs money. Several things you can do for free. I've scavenged most of the normal mods

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Remove spare tire & components from trunk & lighter wheels if you haven't done those two already.

especially lighter wheels...my 18' CF5 forgestars weigh 21lbs, believe the factory 19" brembo/track pack wheels were like 32/33lbs, so around 11-12lbs a corner, unsprung rotational mass. Car felt so much better afterwards. You can also remove the rearend dampners from the axle tubes.

I'd eventually like to do a lightweight spool and gun drilled axles :D

Last edited:

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
I'm on darkstars, and I think the fronts are heavier than the rears. I drive the car on the street so it still needs to have amenities. I'm going to look into a lighter battery and relocation. I can save some weight in the seats for sure. Does Kirky make a more streetable style seat?

Holovacko

Established Member
I believe the Corbeau seats are approx 18lbs without mounts. Lightweight, high torque starter saves approx 10lbs

q6543

Established Member
Remove the crash beams from the door and you can do lightweight front and rear bumper supports.
pull up carpet and remove all sound deadener and heat shield padding!

SixPak

Established Member
Stock 19" wheels with Pirelli 235's weigh about 60lbs a corner. So wheels and tires are a good place to start trimming weight plus improving traction. An aluminum or CF driveshaft will save you 20-25lbs rotational mass easily. OR X or H pipe will save considerable weight since the factory Cats could be used as boat anchors, not to mention freeing up some horsepower. High flow Cats go a long way in the same department if you want to stay legal for the street.

image_zpsylqc3dvp.jpg

Factory 19" wheel with Pirelli P Zero Nero 235-35. 59lbs, give or take a few ounces.

image_zpseqytmiqc.jpg

I put these on my '12 GT and trimmed a few pounds off each corner. 19"x9" CF5V Forgestars with 255-40 MT Street Comps. 52lbs, give or take a few ounces. Taking that much unsprung weight off the corners makes a huge difference in the the way the car handles, and the Mickey's hook up way better than the pirellis did. A little pricey, but worth it. The CF5V 19"x9" wheels weigh about 23lbs each, one of the lightest 19" wheels out there. I have heard they will accept 275's but would do a little more research before I tried that.

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Remove the crash beams from the door and you can do lightweight front and rear bumper supports.
pull up carpet and remove all sound deadener and heat shield padding!

This is what I'm talking about. I mainly run my car on the street, so I can't show up with gutted interior. I need to take out weight with everything looking fairly stock

tj@steeda

Established Member
Here is a package that we put together ... if you are looking for weight savings & suspension upgrades:

http://www.steeda.com/steeda-mustang-weight-reduction-pack-555-3960/

This kit will shed approximately 36 to 40 pounds of weight and improve 1/4 mile performance by around 3 tenths of a second and slightly improve road course performance as well through increased corner exit grip and acceleration.

We also have the rear seat deletes, lighter wheels, etc.

Many different ways you could go ... let me know if I can help assist.

Best Regards,

TJ

Tuffnuts23

Established Member
Appreciate it, Steeda rep. Already have all those components though.
Just so you guys know what I'm trying to accomplish here. Car is on Darkstar wheels. Bmr k member, rad support, lca's. Aluminum drive shaft, sway bar delete. It's a base model '14, cloth seats, no navi. I need the car's interior to appear stock. I show up and the car is gutted, people start asking for lengths etc...
I am definitely going to look into a lightweight battery, and moving it to the trunk, as well. Getting rid of the sound deadening and crash bars, lightweight bumper supports is a great idea

justinsstang

Established Member
I think moving the battery to the trunk is a waste of time/counter productive. By the time you extend the harness to run to the back you have gained several pounds in wiring. Just get a lightweight battery (I've seen one weigh 4.5lbs) and move on to the next thing unless you're just wanting to clean up the engine bay a little.

Also I'd leave the crash beams alone with you driving on the street. Shedding a few lbs isn't worth you or your passengers safety.

Last edited:

Scott8583

Addicted to Corn!
Established Member
Either get a liteweight battery or relocate the stock battery to the trunk, no need for both. I actually went with a bigger Optima battery in the trunk for 2 reasons... Weight over the tires help hook 800whp, and more amps to run the fan/intercooler pump to cool the car off with the hood closed...

Users who are viewing this thread