Basic Gun info

txyaloo

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
Anyone know if you have to be 21 to buy a handgun in MI?

Tyler

Federal law says you must be 21 to purchase a handgun through a retail outlet or through an FFL (Federal Firearms License) holder. If you're under 21, you can posses a handgun in most states.

Here's a breakdown of the MI firearms laws:

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/documents/publications/Firearms.pdf

To own a handgun in MI:

"State law requires handgun buyers to obtain a permit from local law enforcement prior to purchasing a handgun. To obtain the permit, handgun buyers must correctly answer 70% of the questions on a written safety test, but the wrong answers are pointed out and they are allowed to retake the test if they fail. There is no requirement for fingerprints."

Due to this fact, legally, I would say you couldn't purchase a handgun. There is no such requirement for rifles.

METHICAL

Established Member
4u 2 nv said:
also remember...if you have a CCW permit you can walk out of the store with your gun that day..if not it requires 5 business days which is a week sometimes..

like mentioned above...if you want the hot newer gun the XD is what everyone it seems is talking about...very nice feeling. great price (they orignally were much cheaper but..well demand) and a large variaty of finishes, barrel lengths and chambers. for the price i wouldnt think twice about gettin this over a kimber or sig for a first gun.

Didn't realise Florida had a waiting period, that blows, but most states do not any more...but a CCW does let you bipass the NICS, which isn't always 'instant'.

Worsedog

Resident A**hole
Established Member
Florida has a 3 day wait on handguns if you don't have CCW. However, there is instant FDLE check that IS required regardless of permit or not, whether it is a handgun or long gun.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Can I get my CCW even though I'm not 21 (will be in August) so when I do turn 21 I can purchase one right off the bat and not have to wait around?

Tyler

aoc racer

Ford is hella cool
Established Member
get a HK usp9 or 40, the gun will never dissappoint you.
or the cheaper springfield xd is also a great gun.

Last edited:

txyaloo

Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:
Can I get my CCW even though I'm not 21 (will be in August) so when I do turn 21 I can purchase one right off the bat and not have to wait around?

Tyler

In Texas, you can take the course before you're 21, but you can't apply for the license until then. After the application is submitted, it takes a few weeks to receive an approval/denial and the license. Also, part of the licensing is a shooting test. Most ranges around here won't rent handguns to someone under 21. Sort of puts you btw a rock and a hard place. It may be different in MI.

NFCstang

I probably don't like you
Established Member
02MineralGrayGt said:
GLOCK...........that is all
If you want an ok DAO gun....sure

I'd recommend a Sig Sauer or the HK USP

I have Sig P229 and can shoot the .40 S&W and .357 SIG by only changing the barrel and I can shoot 9mm with a barrel and upper change

aaron_05_stang

Established Member
I really like my Sig P226 but if u really want a kick in the ass i bought a .50 Desert Eagle. To bad its about a buck a round. Also own a Para and it is really nice as well.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Last but not least, 1911 is a style of gun that most every manufacturer has copied. I know some will disagree with me here, but MOST of them are not known to be the most reliable guns, and reliability is what counts in a defense weapon.

Not sure where you are getting your "not reliable" information here. Compared to a revolver any semi-auto slide action would be considered less reliable. However outside of that if a semi-auto comes from a good well respected manufacturer and is well kept after by the owner, then reliability will be less of a factor than you make it sound to be.

harry gilbert

Diehard Ford Fan
Established Member
SHONOFF98 said:

Tyler

You must be 21 to apply for a CCW. You can't own a handgun until you are 21.

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
Not sure where you are getting your "not reliable" information here. Compared to a revolver any semi-auto slide action would be considered less reliable. However outside of that if a semi-auto comes from a good well respected manufacturer and is well kept after by the owner, then reliability will be less of a factor than you make it sound to be.

From countless hours researching. Not saying there aren't reliable 1911's, but MANY people have had problems with the 1911 style. Not to mention, most modern autoloaders, well made ones at least, are just as, if not MORE reliable than revolvers.

Secesh

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Last but not least, 1911 is a style of gun that most every manufacturer has copied. I know some will disagree with me here, but MOST of them are not known to be the most reliable guns, and reliability is what counts in a defense weapon.

Thanks for the laugh.

Secesh

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Hey you're welcome. Feel free to comment further. :)

Sure! MOST 1911's are not reliable. That is really funny. Seriously. Which aren't? I need a list so that I can avoid them in the future.

SHONOFF98

Established Member
harry gilbert said:
You must be 21 to apply for a CCW. You can't own a handgun until you are 21.

Not only do I have to wait 4 months now to drink legally but I have to wait to own a handgun....son-of-a-bitch

Maybe I could get a rifle to hold me over till then

JD_2001_svt

Established Member
Secesh said:
Sure! MOST 1911's are not reliable. That is really funny. Seriously. Which aren't? I need a list so that I can avoid them in the future.

Glad you think it's funny. Alot of that is based on personal experience with colts, para's, and springfields. I've had MUCH better luck with other semi-autos. This also seems to be agreed upon by several of the gun forums I frequent. Not trying to be rude, just telling you my opinion man.

Users who are viewing this thread