Basic Gun info

Secesh

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
Glad you think it's funny. Alot of that is based on personal experience with colts, para's, and springfields. I've had MUCH better luck with other semi-autos. This also seems to be agreed upon by several of the gun forums I frequent. Not trying to be rude, just telling you my opinion man.

I know it's just your opinion, as you stated originally. I guess everyone has different experiences. Personally I have no desire to carry anything but a 1911 design. I haven't tried a Sig so I can't comment there, but I'm not crazy about other auto designs. I may just be lucky because I both love the feel and design of the gun but have also had nothing but positive experiences with it. But it's certainly not a gun to start out with, or carry, unless a lot of practice is done.

Of course that's just my opinion on handguns, which differs from all of those people that are wrong :)

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
JD_2001_svt said:
From countless hours researching. Not saying there aren't reliable 1911's, but MANY people have had problems with the 1911 style. Not to mention, most modern autoloaders, well made ones at least, are just as, if not MORE reliable than revolvers.

Again the reason they are unreliable is because most people buy the lesser costing semi-auto's and they clean them about twice in their lifetime or over oiled the gun or used inferior reloaded ammo or even inferior new ammo.

In the 40 years I have owned and fired dozens of medium and high quality semi-auto's there was only one that ever kept jamming. It turns out that the previous owner had attempted to accurize the ramp himself and he completely fu_cked the ramp up. I couldn't tell because it was early in my gun years and hadn't become a gunsmith yet so I didn't know what to look for.

But the rest of the semi's I owned and fired I never had a jam...not one. So I don't think you have really identified the root causes of all the "unreliable 1911's" in those gun forums you say you researched. Most people who report such "unreliability" don't know squat about proper gun care let alone usage. So I am going to hav to state that your opinion about 1911's is certainly "unreliable".

Last edited:

Secesh

Established Member
CobraKindaGuy said:
But the rest of the semi's I owned and fired I never had a jam...not one. So I don't think you have really identified the root causes of all the "unreliable 1911's" in those gun forums you say you researched. Most people who report such "unreliability" don't know squat about proper gun care let alone usage. So I am going to hav to state that your opinion about 1911's is certainly "unreliable".

The first 1911 I bought was a Colt 1991 not long after they came out. Cheap finish, plastic trigger, whole nine yards. Never had a problem with it. Never had a FTF, FTE, FRTB, nothing. That gun hooked me and I haven't looked back. I think a lot of the 1911 bashing also comes from either the 'Glock is God' crowd or those that think the SA design is old so must be inferior. My opinion is there must be a reason it's been around this long and it's not because it's unreliable.

4u 2 nv

I aint nobody
Established Member
Worsedog said:
Florida has a 3 day wait on handguns if you don't have CCW. However, there is instant FDLE check that IS required regardless of permit or not, whether it is a handgun or long gun.

yeah it could be...last time i bought a pistol without my CCW was in 2005..i know it was 5 then so it must have changed recently.. and that FDLE check sucks...i have a common last name i guess..its Lee..and it through up so red flags or something..took me almost 10 for my first pistol..

boostaholic

Mile High
Established Member
I love good 1911s, especially my brother's kimber
newstock.gif

Glocks are cheap and very easy to learn to shoot with. I learned on a g23 and can shoot most guns fairly well. Buy a .40 glock if you want an entry level gun, plus you can mod the hell out of them...you can always buy one of these if you just want to plink away at some stuff and need a decent personal protection weapon
http://i51.photobucket.com/albums/f393/greenvaccine/Misc/Taurus.jpg
^^^I think shaft may have rocked one of those at one point^^^

coreseller

Established Member
If you have a reputable local pistol range / gun shop (hopefully more than one) go there and talk to an older fellow who isn't too quick to tell you what to buy. Rent a couple or few pistols he suggests and pop off a box of rounds out of each. Sound expensive until you figure in what it will cost you to trade / sell until you get exactly what you want. Just my 2 cents.

ezernut9mm

CHAINED BLUE LIGHTNING!
Established Member
check out cz's website. cz-usa.com. the cz-75 is a very reliable design, the 9mm is a great all around round and they are comparetively cheap. plus you can get it in almost any configuration imaginabable. jm2c.

you can go to any gun shop/shooting range and rent pistols for cheap and try out what ever works best for you personally.

Stack

Established Member
Alot of good info on here...

But the basic question is what are you using this gun for?

Like anyother tool, apply it to the job needing to be done. Where that be self defense or range/target.

Def go to a shop... hold and shoot any gun before you buy it.

Choose carefully and you will be hooked.

Welcome to another one of my addictions

SHONOFF98

Established Member
Stack said:
Alot of good info on here...

But the basic question is what are you using this gun for?

Like anyother tool, apply it to the job needing to be done. Where that be self defense or range/target.

Def go to a shop... hold and shoot any gun before you buy it.

Choose carefully and you will be hooked.

Welcome to another one of my addictions

Id be using it for going to the shooting range and what not.

dogmush

Established Member
To tell you the truth, one of my favorite range guns is my Ruger 22/45. Good feel in the hand, and I can shoot 22 all day without breaking the bank. good stuff.

I have had 2 1911's, and while I wouldn't call them unreliable, the design is a little finicky with big hollow points. By finicky I mean I had to play with magazine timing to get them to feed my favorite Gold Dot's. On the other hand they were designed to use .45acp ball ammo, and they both did that 100%. I carried my RIA 1911 for a while before I decided to make a project of it.

I also have an XD45 and a USP 40. Both are good no frills combat weapons. I have more then 20000 rounds through the USP and can count the malfuntions on one hand. And those were bad ammo.

Everyone says Glocks are good starting guns because once you do a little shooting you discover that the ergonomics sucks, the trigger sucks and the accuracy is marginal. You can park a truck on them if you want though.

Everyone here is giving good advice on defensive firepower (except the Glock guys, they're wrong.) But if you want a range gun, I would seriously look at a .22 to start with. The dollors to fun ratio of a 22 automatic is really hard to beat.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
I think the Ruger Mark 2 was about the coolest pistol to start learning how to shoot a handgun, atleast for me.

Personally, for indoor ranges I almost rather shoot .22, they aren't as loud and just as fun IMO. Plus it's pretty cheap.

CobraKindaGuy

Established Member
Lord Tauk said:
I think the Ruger Mark 2 was about the coolest pistol to start learning how to shoot a handgun, atleast for me.

Personally, for indoor ranges I almost rather shoot .22, they aren't as loud and just as fun IMO. Plus it's pretty cheap.

I actually picked up one of these in the latter of my gun years and it was fun to shoot. It was great to just target and plink with virtually little if any recoil. Good choice for a beginner who needs to learn the fundamentals of good target shooting.

Users who are viewing this thread