Basically Stock '03 Cobra Hesitating on Shifts

bubblehead93

Established Member
JLT Next Gen CAI, requires a SCT 2600 or 3000 MAF if you use the molded in MAF housing, what MAF are you running, how do you have the MAF installed?... are you tuned for it?

WireMesh

Established Member
JLT Next Gen CAI, requires a SCT 2600 or 3000 MAF if you use the molded in MAF housing, what MAF are you running, how do you have the MAF installed?... are you tuned for it?

Stock MAF in between the fliter and the tube. I am tuned for it.

bubblehead93

Established Member
Stock MAF in between the fliter and the tube. I am tuned for it.

Since your runing stock pumps with no BAP this is not the problem PPRV usually solves... I think the problem lies in your tune... deleting the PPRV just makes your fuel system more forgiving for a poor tune... not sure why they may have messed around any of the parameters associated with the fuel pump given you have a stock fuel system...

need to think about this one a bit more, tuned my car (SCT Pro Racer pkg), I'll take a look at my notes from tuning my car, I went through this about 3-4 years ago now...

03dsgcobranc

Fujiwara zone
Established Member
In your tune most likely. Most will point to PPRV, but I seriously doubt it's that. I've had 4 different tunes from 4 different tuners on my exact same setup and 2 of them had the exact problem you're having while the other 2 did not.

Last edited:

hotcobra03

Established Member
Have you thought about intercooler?

These suck alot of oil in to air inlet..which turns cooler into a air filter..

Age and mileage and alot ot sitting...

hotcobra03

Established Member
Could you explain further? I really just think it's in the tune...

You added more air flow..

intercooler is super thick and very tiny holes for air flow..

add oil from pcv system it makes top sticky...

air filer doesnt stop every thing...so after time is gets clogged and holes are smaller ...

most dont even know its part of service on these...they worry about the smallest stuff like clean maf..

that should be done monthly...

I clean engine with dish soap...its so nice to work on being almost spotless

WireMesh

Established Member
You added more air flow..

intercooler is super thick and very tiny holes for air flow..

add oil from pcv system it makes top sticky...

air filer doesnt stop every thing...so after time is gets clogged and holes are smaller ...

most dont even know its part of service on these...they worry about the smallest stuff like clean maf..

that should be done monthly...

I clean engine with dish soap...its so nice to work on being almost spotless

So you're saying it would be a good idea for me to take the Eaton off and clean the intercooler?

hotcobra03

Established Member
So you're saying it would be a good idea for me to take the Eaton off and clean the intercooler?

Yes along with seeing what plugs are in it and a compression test..

You will see alot of guys run different plugs after pulley change..

oem plugs last 100k..copper 5k..

guys with boost run tight gap. 28-32..

and feel difference. ..

some times it is just tune...many have a glitch when installing tune..

and have to re install tune...some hand helds have steps to do other than just push button..

its like a hit and miss..without codes you need to stick with basics

fuel
air
spark
timing
base engine=compression

Bdubbs

u even lift bro?
Established Member
Premium Member
Either tune out the shift hesitation like cj428mach provided details on doing or do a PPRV delete. It's that simple.

THIS.

BTW I had the hesitation before I even installed a bap. Even though that won't make any difference. My hesitation was normally only 1st to 2nd gear shifts, and normally at 3/4 throttle, not full wot. I've since gone return fuel system and it's completely gone.

03cobra5485

Established Member
I absolutely despise this, I curse my car when this happens, my head flies forward and I promise I'm buying the delete from lethal..still haven't bought it yet lol wait till you pull out into traffic and have it happen, you about shit your pants waiting for a car to plow into you

03cobra5485

Established Member
I think you're talking about a different issue here. That sounds more like traction control issue.

Similar but no. I've pulled out into traffic many times and had this happen. It's the pprv (from what I've read) and it has gotten worse since I put the kb and supporting mods on. When it was stock it only did it at WOT during hard shifts.

Last edited:

WireMesh

Established Member
Got a different tune in it and it is running great. No hesitation at all! Thanks for the information guys! For my little stock car that's all that was needed.

Rich'sTRsvt

Established Member
Are you sure it isn't a tuning issue or vacuum leak?

edit, replying to a hesitation when pulling out in trafic.

Last edited:

03cobra5485

Established Member
Are you sure it isn't a tuning issue or vacuum leak?

edit, replying to a hesitation when pulling out in trafic.

Vacuum reads fine. There is a chance it is tuning issue, I haven't really looked Into it much, mostly bc I don't really drive it. Although it did the hesitation when it was bone stock too which is why I was leaning towards the delete, might just do that and get a new tune and hope it fixes it

Users who are viewing this thread