Bassani airbox info on the way....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I'm finally getting somewhere with this....should have some dyno prints and pricing in a few days....

Andy M

Established Member
Cool!!! Thanks for running with this. I am also interested.

By the way, when I ordered my IRS brace from Paul's Performance last month, they told me they were working on a new airbox setup as well and to stay tuned?? I think I will call them to find out where they are with this??

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
great! please update us on the airbox from paul's....i just ordered my irs brace from them ;-) i cant wait to get it and install it....no more wheelhop! ;-) the bassani is such a damn nice looking piece, and does away with the 2 mystery boxes that are appended to the stock box, supposedly for noise reduction....hopefully it does more than just look nice :)

Andy M

Established Member
The IRS brace works really well. I have noticed a significant reduction in wheel hop under hard acceleration in low gears. The car squats down and applies better control of the rear wheels now. I like it!

I will let you know what I find out from Paul's Performance on this airbox thing?...

Cobra-R

Established Member
Originally posted by Andy M
The IRS brace works really well. I have noticed a significant reduction in wheel hop under hard acceleration in low gears. The car squats down and applies better control of the rear wheels now. I like it!

I will let you know what I find out from Paul's Performance on this airbox thing?...

Any of you guys have a picture of the brace installed? I am not sure what and where it exactly goes.

Thanks, Brian

Andy M

Established Member
I'll snap one this weekend and post it here.

Basically the stock brace is this small tubular brace with a bend which follows the contour of the gearbox and connects on each of the bushings where the IRS connector braces bolt up to the middle section of the car.

The new brace is much stronger steel and also bolts up (with some high tension bushings provided with the brace) to the same location but also bolts to the sides of the rear diff. A much better solution than the stock brace - IMHO!

scott

Established Member
anynews

any news on the bassani part and when and if it may be ready? will it mate up to a 90mm maf fron 01 lightning?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
nope....I emailed him last week, still no info.... grrrr :mj: ....and bassani cant or wont say anything about it either....:mj: I'll email him one last time....then, if I dont hear anything, I'll see about having my fabricator lay it out and quote it....

BRIMSTONE

I am going to look into having one custom made from aluminum. I will let you guys know before I have it done in case anyone else wants one too.

The Bassani one is nice, I wonder if that logo is removable, I don't like it there.

Mike

XLR8-R

Established Member
Guys, I made my own out of a V10 f-250 inlet duct, slightly modified/cut. Seems to work well and looks factory. I will post pictures soon. Cost: approx $40 and some elbow grease.

Carter

TcM-668

The logo looks like the normal Bassani Sticket, so it should come right off.

Given what it is, it should not be that hard to fabricate something like this...

I am going to try and stick my IRS brace and new exhaust in this weekend...of course I should work on my other mustang as well...

oh well...please let us know what you find out.

Don...

Andy M

Established Member
Guys,

Just had a thought?.. How about just removing those silly outboard plastic chambers?? and plugging up the holes?

Aside from looking good, I find it hard to believe that the Bassani (or any other tube like it) will give us any more measurable horsepower gains??? I think you would need to also install a free-er flowing (maybe larger?) cone filter with a larger inlet pipe to do that?

Thoughts on this?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Originally posted by BRIMSTONE
I am going to look into having one custom made from aluminum. I will let you guys know before I have it done in case anyone else wants one too.

The Bassani one is nice, I wonder if that logo is removable, I don't like it there.

Mike

Let me know what price you get....my guy is quoting it in qty's of 1, 3, 5, and 10 pcs, fabricated from aluminum and polished, identical to the bassani one....

PS: The modified f-250 one looks pretty good, and ya really cant beat that price!

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R

Let me know what price you get....my guy is quoting it in qty's of 1, 3, 5, and 10 pcs, fabricated from aluminum and polished, identical to the bassani one....

PS: The modified f-250 one looks pretty good, and ya really cant beat that price!
Guys,

won't we be defeating the purpose if we use something like aluminum?? Does not aluminum conduct even more heat than the plastic which is on the car now? It may look good, but if it heats up the incoming air to a higher temp, we will lose horsepower?

Am I incorrect on this assumption??..

I have carbon fiber intake tubes on my M5. They not only look great, but also do not conduct heat like plastic and aluminum. Of course, the big down side is the cost?!! Anyone look into making it out of carbon fiber?

Last edited:

XLR8-R

Established Member
Guy's, Its not hard to make. Just cut it 2.25 inches after the ribbed section and push it on to the mass air meter.(It is a very tight fit and may be easier with a little lubrication) It is also installed upside down from the way it goes on the trucks. You put it on the throttle body and then twist it until it faces the right direction. You also need a section of 3/4 and 5/8 heater hose for the idle air valve and crankcase vent hose. It definitely seems like it has a smoother transition into the throttle body than the stock tube. I also loosened the bolts that hold the mass air and filter assembly to the fender apron to help it line up as good as possible. Between this mod and an x-pipe(mac) w/no cats, I went from 109mph in the quarter to 113. Unfortunately I cannot say what each mod is worth by itself, but that is aproxx. 40 horsepower. Unfortunately it has a tendency to backfire worse(and louder) than before. I think I still need a custom chip. Maybe those baffles were to prevent backfiring?

Carter

Andy M

Established Member
Carter,

I suspect your backfiring is due to the X pipe and not the intake tube. I installed the Bassani X pipe (with hiflow CATs) on my car and even with the chip custom tuned, I get some backfiring under hard deceleration. This is normal when you reduce the backpressure on a car like this.

I think I may just have to go to the Ford dealer today and get one of these and try this out..

Users who are viewing this thread