Bassani airbox info on the way....

TcM-668

I got an email from Paul Svinicki and I shot him the question about induction mods and such, and am waiting for a reply....

When I do, I'll post it...

Andy,
I'm headed to Tommie Vaughn Ford today to get my Xpipe and Catback and I am going to see if they have that inlet duct as well, an if so, I'll grab one and try it today...so we'll have another one in the loop on this too...

I was thinking it would not be too hard to lay a fiberglass version of this up since all of the dimensions are known...I might look into this and see what I can come up with...

actually, getting a small piece of steel / aluminum intake tubing should not be hard to work with either...I'll have to tinker with this and see what we can come up with...

Don...

TcM-668

For what its worth...

I think the Ford part # for the V-10 Inlet duct is:

F81Z-9B659-DA

Ford's cost shown on the computer was a little over $ 35.00

List price was just over $ 59

It was not in stock at my local Ford dealer, and I wanted to be sure that was the right one before I ordered it...I'll check with my regular parts guy on Monday and got my price on it...

Don...

BRIMSTONE

Originally posted by Andy M
I have carbon fiber intake tubes on my M5. They not only look great, but also do not conduct heat like plastic and aluminum. Of course, the big down side is the cost?!! Anyone look into making it out of carbon fiber?

The V10 inlet seems like it works real well. However, a carbon fiber one would really LOOK sweet. Good idea Andy, I will see what the cost of that would be...

Mike

Andy M

Established Member
I think I am going to look into what it would take to get one made out of carbon fiber?... I am sure I can find someone in Houston up to the task?.. I will let you guys know?...

TcM-668

I fab'd one with the V-10 inlet duct...it works, OK, but I find that the convolutes rub on the upper radiator hose...for a long term solution, it is not a good thing, but for an experiment, it works OK...

It seems like the car has a little more power becuase now, when I launch, it seems to break loose easier, and when I powershift 1-2, it really breaks loose, where it did not seem to do that before...

I am having a friend look into casting an aluminum one too...if it ceramic coated, inside and out, it should not be too bad...I may try to have something mandrel bent too..that might be easiest...

I think it would be a worthwhile venture...I'll keep plugging along too...

Don ...

Sophbuster

NJ2000R,

Do you actually have that Bassani intake tube? If so at the bottom where the MAF sensor attaches to the tube. Is it round or eliptical?
Thanks,

Colby

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I dont have it, a guy was selling his R on ebay, thats where I got that pic....he was supposed to send me info and dyno specs on it, but never heard anything back from him....so, I have a local fabricator working on one now....will have prices on them soon....

Sophbuster

Thanks, the reason I am asking is I'm thinking of building one out of carbon fiber. Its not an easy piece to make out of carbon fiber and look good. Due to the shape of the intake. You just can't slip it off a mold. So I going to make one out of fiberglass first and see how it turns out. And keep us posted on what you find out from your fabricator.

Thanks,

Colby

Terry Moenich

Established Member
Hey NJ2000R, If you can these fab'd I will be very interested in buying one. Where do you live? I have pretty much unlimited access to a Dyno-Jet chassis dyno. I may be able to help with the dyno testing.

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Sounds great! I'm having him quote 1,2,5,10 pcs and then I'll start a new thread with price breakdown and see who's interested....

Andy M

Established Member
Originally posted by NJ2000R
Sounds great! I'm having him quote 1,2,5,10 pcs and then I'll start a new thread with price breakdown and see who's interested....
Count me in! Unless the cost is absolutely prohibitive that is..?

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
Make sure the fabricator knows that the tube drops down and is offset....otherwise, there will be an alignment problem....I just spoke with my fabricator, and he said to do the right job (perfect fit, good air flow, least amount of resistance) that we first have to make a pattern, and that the part should be made from 4 pieces of aluminum and welded up using a fixture....I told him that this sounded like alot of $$$ and maybe overkill for what the part does....right now, he's estimating around $350.00 to $450.00 depending on how many we order....this seems a bit excessive....I'll have a firm quote from him tomorrow....

NJ2000R

Certified FORD Fanatic!
Established Member
I have a second guy working on a price as well....another very good welder and racing kart fabricator....

Once I get a 2nd price, I'll order one piece, and have Terry do the dyno testing on it before we order any more....no sense ordering 10 of them and then finding out we dont gain any HP from it, right??? :lol1:

Users who are viewing this thread