Bassani installed...take off silencers???

Grimlock

Established Member
I installed the catback last night and was suprised how easy it was. Ive heard that the LT install is a beatch though. Anyway, I had a few questions. I put the exhaust on according to Bassani's install instruction pictures. The mufflers were put on so that the mufflers have raised scoops inside when you look through it against the flow. I wanted to verify that the flow was correct. Is the airflow supposed to go over these scoops or should the muffler be positioned so that the air is caught by these scoops?

Also, does it make a big difference taking out the silencers from inside the exhaust tips? Right now I think it sounds more than 100% better than stock, but it still lacks a deep tone. Will this help or do I just have to put on the midpipe and LT's to get it to sound better?

Thanks ahead.
Grim

The Saint

Cookie Monster
Established Member
I have LT's, offroad X and the bassani catback. With those mufflers you will never get a deep tone. On the other hand it will be a loud mean SOB.

I took the silencers out, just to smooth out the sound a bit.

Grimlock

Established Member
Is this the general concensus? So does the sound improve if I take them out? Is it flowing correctly?

HotRodHarry

Life is short,Live it up!
Established Member
Also..when you take the baffles out....you dont have the tassle look anymore coming out of the tailpipes :D

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I asked Bassani about the direction of the baffle scoops inside and was told either direction was okay. Remove them and I've heard you'll pick up 1 or 2 HP. Removing them will make the system a bit louder which is what most guys want.

Harry is so right about the stringy things hanging out. I got tired of pulling the strands out every hour so I wrapped the baffles with masking tape. Worked fine but then I sold the catback so the problem was eliminated entirely. LOL!

MidLifeC

PCa Survivor
Established Member
The baffles do help cut down the drone. You can wrap them with motorcycle muffler packing to reduce more noise. Either I got use to the noise or my system quieted down after 3 months.

JMD0346

Established Member
Originally posted by MidLifeC
The baffles do help cut down the drone. You can wrap them with motorcycle muffler packing to reduce more noise. Either I got use to the noise or my system quieted down after 3 months.

I experienced the same thing. At first I didnt like the sound with out the baffles. I ran the system for about 10 months then removed them. The sound is alot better now then at first. With out the baffles that is. I guess it could be the packing in the muffler getting burnt and clogged that changed the sound. I wouldnt go back to baffles.

NightEnforcer

Established Member
It has a nice mid tone rumble wo the baffles at idle. When you go WOT people will hear you 3-4 blocks away. This is no joke. Have someone follow you at about a block distance and punch it it in 2nd or 3rd. It has a sound all its own.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
IMO the Bassani is a little too loud with the silencers and their cursory suppression (Yes, I had the strings too). I took mine out and wrapped them loosely with supertrapp fiberglass.

There's never been a drone IMO, the sound is more agressive at some RPM's, but I've owned a 5.0 that had Dronemaster's (breifly) installed.

Maybe the Flowmasters' sound deadened my hearing to the Bassani.

Last edited:

2K3BRA

Established Member
BAFFLES OUT :D
Get a midpipe it will open the sound up a ton. My sounded clogged with the stock midpipe.

Users who are viewing this thread