Bassani X midpipe leaks...

DisposableHero

Established Member
Anyone had problems getting their bassani 5 piece midpipe to seal?

Mine leaks mostly before both cats and a little after. It leaks so bad i can feel the air puffs coming out.

I already tried taking off the clamps and moving the cats around to try to get it to seal better, but no luck. It seams to be coming from the exact spots where the pipe is cut to allow it to wrap around the other pipe on the connection.

I don't have a lift and haven't taken it to a shop, but I did try to tighten the clamps as much as i could on my back.

Any ideas? It sounds like a damn old truck in low rpms LOL

yyz82

Established Member
I have installed two bassani x pipes with no problems.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
28935620.jpg

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
Remove clamps, have connections welded. I was sick of crawling on my back every 2 weeks to re tighten the clamps to stop leaks. 10 mins with a welder and I never had a problem again.

Predatorbird

Established Member
I'm assuming you have the interchangeable x-pipe to switch between cats and o/r, otherwise I'd suggest welding it.

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
Slide it in further on the inlet side of the cats where it matters most. The only place I have had issues is on the seal between the exhaust manifold and the pipe on the right side.

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Use those heavy duty clamps someone posted pics of earlier in the thread. My 5 piece x leaks a little. I haven't tried to tighten it yet but I will soon. I wouldnt weld a 5 piece because that defeats the purpose.

DonaldTaco

Look! Its Unicron!!!!!
Established Member
Anyone had problems getting their bassani 5 piece midpipe to seal?

Mine leaks mostly before both cats and a little after. It leaks so bad i can feel the air puffs coming out.

I already tried taking off the clamps and moving the cats around to try to get it to seal better, but no luck. It seams to be coming from the exact spots where the pipe is cut to allow it to wrap around the other pipe on the connection.

I don't have a lift and haven't taken it to a shop, but I did try to tighten the clamps as much as i could on my back.

Any ideas? It sounds like a damn old truck in low rpms LOL

I had this problem on the passenger side. To resolve my issue, I pulled the clamp slightly over where the CAT met the XPIPE. Problem solved.

BBCOBRA

Established Member

Those are the type I used. Good stuff. They seal without distorting the pipe. If your pipe is a little distorted from using the old school u bolt type clamps, these band clamps should pull it together sealing it up nicely.

yyz82

Established Member
Im goin to order some of those clamps too lol... What the hell right cant hurt...

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
How much are those clamps? I want a set... gonna have to order em when i get some extra cash. Bills and x-mas are killer! haha

mooch91

Established Member
Any idea if those clamps have to sit dead center on the joint to work well? I bought some for my cat-back system and they can't sit right at the center of the joint based upon how close the joints are from the muffler.

For what it's worth, they go for $8-something a pop - the Walker part number listed above is correct (and they're available at Amazon.com - free shipping).

DisposableHero

Established Member
Any idea if those clamps have to sit dead center on the joint to work well? I bought some for my cat-back system and they can't sit right at the center of the joint based upon how close the joints are from the muffler.

For what it's worth, they go for $8-something a pop - the Walker part number listed above is correct (and they're available at Amazon.com - free shipping).

Did it help?

I'll know tomorrow if it fixes my leak. I'll get more for the catback as well. Those magnaflow ones are even worse than the basssani

postalbunny

Established Member
Summit carries those as well... had to get various sizes when I did a camaro a while back. Search for "band clamps", and they have all sizes inlet and outlets.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
I have never had an issue with my 5 piece setup...sounds great...
Subscribing as I might pick up a set of these clamps myself

Users who are viewing this thread