Battery Size?

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
What battery is everyone running? Less interested in brand and more in the group/rating/CCA of it. Mine has always seemed kind of weak to start my car, but with the return fuel pump it seems to be pushing it even further and I think I'll need to upgrade.

For the record it's got a trunk relocation, but a 00 cable run to the starter. Stock ground strap has been supplemented with an additional 0 gauge cable. More 00 cable chassis to battery.

olympic

Established Member

If you have the budget, consider a Lithium battery. 30+lb lighter than stock and their resting voltage is about 1 volt higher than lead acid. I have one in my Cobra and my truck and they crank over noticeably faster with a lithium battery. Lithium is also superior at delivering quick bursts of current vs lead-acid. 40 amp-hours should be enough unless you need to run accessories for long periods with the engine off.

I used an Antigravity Battery Group 47 for my Cobra because I have it mounted up front and it was the closest size to stock. You can pretty much pick any group size to fit your needs with the battery mounted in the trunk. The "restart" feature is pretty cool too. When the battery reaches a certain minimum state of charge, it will shut off power to the car, allowing you to re-activate the battery and start the car when you return.

SecondhandSnake

Established Member
I run a group 65 Duracell from Sam's Club. I think it's 850cca? Also mounted in the back. Seems to work just fine.

Just what I needed. Went back and checked and mine is a group 58- a whopping 635 CCA @ 32F. Same size that came in it when I bought it, and what it said in the book at the store. That would explain the slow crank.

I might also look into the lithium batteries as an option.

Users who are viewing this thread